U.S. Open 1P expands!

cuephoric

SactownTom said:
$17 a ticket RAFFLE sounds great.. sign me up for two tickets.
20 tickets at $17 = $340 into the HOF expence fund.

Or 17 tickets at $20.. either way, I'll take two.. where is that paypal money again? :D

I'm in.....! take two, they're small!

Roy Steffensen

Verified Member
If you're gonna sell raffle-tickets I'll take 2 aswell.

NH Steve said:
Most of you know I have been caught up with family issues -- so I am just getting back into the swing of things. One of the things I have neglected (besides entire Derby City coverage -- I'll get to that soon), is the announcement that Mark Griffin has donated one tournament entry spot to OnePocket.org, as a benefit toward the One Pocket Hall of Fame expenses. This is very generous -- a $340 value. We here at OnePocket.org have to decide (soon) how to maximize the value of this donation.

What should we do?

Auction it, with proceeds going to the benefit?
Raffle it?
Have a tournament somehow, with entry fees collected to benefit, and the winner gets the spot?
Somehow raise money for the benefit, but sponsor a specific player?

The basic idea being, we do need to maximize the value of the donation (hopefully well above the $340 value), but at the same time, we want to do something that we are proud of with the tournament spot. Please chime in with ideas.

And thank you, Mark!!

Viffer

Verified Member
Fast Lenny said:
I think $10,000 would be fair, matching the added money for a $20,000 added event would be awesome but lets not hold our breath. ;)

im sure lenny could add some from his profits from power one pocket!!!

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
FastLenny said:
I think $10,000 would be fair, matching the added money for a $20,000 added event would be awesome but lets not hold our breath.

Viffer said:
im sure lenny could add some from his profits from power one pocket!!!

I think that would be fair, but lets not hold our breath.:p :D
Rod.

markgriffin

Verified Member
US Open One Pocket

US Open One Pocket

QUESTIONS by Lou & Joey A. I just saw them and I am at home and need some info at office to answer properly.

I am leaving very early in morning to go run the 15th annual Swanee 9-ball.
Filled the 192 man fied 3 days in advance.

The $10,000 added is GUARANTEED no matter how many enter.

When we expanded to 64 players, we had to add another day - so it starts on Thursday PM. (If we fill the field).

This event will have a couple of 'new features' that would be real nice for all players to be at the meeting. We need head shots for live scoring and a few other things that happen at meeting.

No real penalty for no show at meeting but players get opportunity to purchase event shirts at a low price ONLY at the meeting, and to understand (or question) what we are trying to do for one pocket and pool.

If a player legitimately cannot arrive till Friday, we will try to work with them.

I do not know what "advance draw" Lou was referring to unless he means after the field is full or at least we have a real good idea how many players. We use CTS on-line brackets - which provide real time updates. The progress and results can be viewed from any computer or smart phone.

To view previous events, go to www.ctsondemand.com and poke around a little bit. Click on the 'show all' box and you can see our National 8-ball events and US Bar Table championships. This is cool stuff!! A tutorial is coming soon.

Joey, I believe the rules have been sent to the invited players. Since we opened the field, all other interested players should contact holly@playcsipool.com and request a package and send it in if you are going to play.

No player is considered entered unless paid in full. No exceptions!

Any other questions will be answered as fast as possible. It might be best to also send them to my attention (markg@playcsipool.com) so I am aware of them.

We will have a better idea on a lot of things after March 1st - the deadline for the invited to guarantee their spot. Then it becomes a real OPEN event. I am honored to be given the chance to get the US OPEN ONE POCKET up and running again.

With your support, this will be an annual event.
-------------------------------
As to Steve's 'spot' - i think a raffle is a good idea. But I think there should be 25 tickets at $20 each (or 20 @ $25) - get $500 for his HOF.

Mark Griffin

lfigueroa

Verified Member
markgriffin said:
QUESTIONS by Lou & Joey A. I just saw them and I am at home and need some info at office to answer properly.

I am leaving very early in morning to go run the 15th annual Swanee 9-ball.
Filled the 192 man fied 3 days in advance.

The $10,000 added is GUARANTEED no matter how many enter.

When we expanded to 64 players, we had to add another day - so it starts on Thursday PM. (If we fill the field).

This event will have a couple of 'new features' that would be real nice for all players to be at the meeting. We need head shots for live scoring and a few other things that happen at meeting.

No real penalty for no show at meeting but players get opportunity to purchase event shirts at a low price ONLY at the meeting, and to understand (or question) what we are trying to do for one pocket and pool.

If a player legitimately cannot arrive till Friday, we will try to work with them.

I do not know what "advance draw" Lou was referring to unless he means after the field is full or at least we have a real good idea how many players. We use CTS on-line brackets - which provide real time updates. The progress and results can be viewed from any computer or smart phone.

To view previous events, go to www.ctsondemand.com and poke around a little bit. Click on the 'show all' box and you can see our National 8-ball events and US Bar Table championships. This is cool stuff!! A tutorial is coming soon.

Joey, I believe the rules have been sent to the invited players. Since we opened the field, all other interested players should contact holly@playcsipool.com and request a package and send it in if you are going to play.

No player is considered entered unless paid in full. No exceptions!

Any other questions will be answered as fast as possible. It might be best to also send them to my attention (markg@playcsipool.com) so I am aware of them.

We will have a better idea on a lot of things after March 1st - the deadline for the invited to guarantee their spot. Then it becomes a real OPEN event. I am honored to be given the chance to get the US OPEN ONE POCKET up and running again.

With your support, this will be an annual event.
-------------------------------
As to Steve's 'spot' - i think a raffle is a good idea. But I think there should be 25 tickets at $20 each (or 20 @ $25) - get $500 for his HOF.

Mark Griffin

Mark, the above has raised, for me at least, a new question: you say "...so it starts on Thursday PM. (If we fill the field)." Is it fair to say that, if you draw fewer players, say 46, you would delay the start of the tournament?! I mean, as long as you have everyone there waiting with bait on their breath to play, why wouldn't you get everything rolling and finish up early, say by Saturday night, so people wouldn't be held hostage and could either go home early or go do other things (it is Vegas, after all)?

The advance draw I was asking about stemmed from your previous post in which you said, "Please do not wait until the last minute - we will be scheduling all of the matches weeks before the actual event." What that means to me is an advance draw -- so I was asking why weeks in advance and would you be posting the results of said scheduling somewhere? I guess I would also ask if you will be seeding this tournament?

Lastly, you say, "If a player legitimately cannot arrive till Friday, we will try to work with them." IMO -- mit the usual disclaimer: your tournament, your rules -- it is wrong and unfair to even consider letting someone roll in Friday for a tournament that starts on Thursday. This kind of stuff steams people up and was one of the central issues discussed in the recent "DCC Favoritism" thread on AZ. Personally, I'd be pissed if I busted my butt, readjusted my schedule, and incurred additional expenses to get there in time for the advertised start of the tournament, only to be told, "The guy you drew won't be getting here until tomorrow so your match will be delayed."

What is fair is that there be a roll call before the tournament and if a player is not there, they are disqualified, end of story. Or, at a minimum, you roll through the bracket and if a player is not there for the start of the match they forfeit the match. Anything else is a slap in the face to those that do make the effort. I believe you'd only have to worry about the gripes (from the pros who are accustomed to being coddled by TDs) one time, because when the word got out that you no kidding needed to be there at a certain time for a particular event, all the pros would pull on their big girl panties and somehow make it happen, just like the rest of the field.

Lou Figueroa

sunnyone

Verified Member
From
nyc
ha!

ha!

lfigueroa said:
... needed to be there at a certain time for a particular event, all the pros would pull on their big girl panties and somehow make it happen, just like the rest of the field.

Lou Figueroa

'big girl panties.' ... now that's funny!

humor is my life,

sunny

Roy Steffensen

Verified Member
lfigueroa said:
Mark, the above has raised, for me at least, a new question: you say "...so it starts on Thursday PM. (If we fill the field)." Is it fair to say that, if you draw fewer players, say 46, you would delay the start of the tournament?! I mean, as long as you have everyone there waiting with bait on their breath to play, why wouldn't you get everything rolling and finish up early, say by Saturday night, so people wouldn't be held hostage and could either go home early or go do other things (it is Vegas, after all)?

The advance draw I was asking about stemmed from your previous post in which you said, "Please do not wait until the last minute - we will be scheduling all of the matches weeks before the actual event." What that means to me is an advance draw -- so I was asking why weeks in advance and would you be posting the results of said scheduling somewhere? I guess I would also ask if you will be seeding this tournament?

Lastly, you say, "If a player legitimately cannot arrive till Friday, we will try to work with them." IMO -- mit the usual disclaimer: your tournament, your rules -- it is wrong and unfair to even consider letting someone roll in Friday for a tournament that starts on Thursday. This kind of stuff steams people up and was one of the central issues discussed in the recent "DCC Favoritism" thread on AZ. Personally, I'd be pissed if I busted my butt, readjusted my schedule, and incurred additional expenses to get there in time for the advertised start of the tournament, only to be told, "The guy you drew won't be getting here until tomorrow so your match will be delayed."

What is fair is that there be a roll call before the tournament and if a player is not there, they are disqualified, end of story. Or, at a minimum, you roll through the bracket and if a player is not there for the start of the match they forfeit the match. Anything else is a slap in the face to those that do make the effort. I believe you'd only have to worry about the gripes (from the pros who are accustomed to being coddled by TDs) one time, because when the word got out that you no kidding needed to be there at a certain time for a particular event, all the pros would pull on their big girl panties and somehow make it happen, just like the rest of the field.

Lou Figueroa

Agree with Lou. Why should anyone be allowed to arrive in Vegas on Friday?

Roy Steffensen

Verified Member
lfigueroa said:
Buy that man a beer!

Lou Figueroa
burp

Will you be there, and will you arrive in time?

I'll be there from the 10th. Really looking forward to it!!!

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Roy Steffensen said:
Will you be there, and will you arrive in time?

I'll be there from the 10th. Really looking forward to it!!!

If I go, I promise to arrive in time. Right now I'm mulling my options.

Lou Figueroa

onepocketchump

Verified Member
JoeyA said:
The expansion is nice in some ways and not so nice in other ways. The expansion means additional days that have to be taken off from work to attend. It also means additional expenses.

Lou's question about the "mandatory" player's meeting is valid. I've seen a lot of players purposefully miss player's meetings.

Personally, I would like to see a published list of the rules of the tournament emailed, mailed, or faxed to each participant in ADVANCE of the tournament.

I've mixed feelings about the advanced draw but if Mark's behind it, I'm sure his intentions are good. I do like the idea of knowing when the matches will be played. I guess my mixed feelings has to do with, and I may have missed reading it, but I was wondering if the advanced draw means that the draw will be seeded.

THIS PAST WEEKEND, Casper's Billiards which had a $5,000 added tournament couldn't attract 32 players much less 64 players. The hotel rooms at Extended Stay could be had for less than $40 a night at priceline.com and the fares going in to Houston were cheap as sin. (I drove but I'm just saying, it was an economical and If that tournament couldn't get the one pocket players out of their pool rooms, I'm not sure that pushing for the 64 player field was a good idea, at least not at this stage of development.

Casper's tournament was based upon them having 32 players to add the $5,000 and posts were made that that was a done deal but as deals happen, this one, didn't. They added $2500 instead of the $5,000.

I know Mark doesn't play like that and his $10,000.00 added will be there regardless of the number of players.

I don't want to be a naysayer but after this weekend's adventure, I'm kind of depressed over the support that the one pocket player's showed at this weekend's tournament. And I don't believe the weather had a damn thing to do with the no shows. (The weather wasn't that bad.. trust me, I was there). Houston airport was wide open and you could travel by car but if you listened to some people, you might wonder how they even got the Super Bowl off the ground with all that "bad weather".

OK, now let's hear who's going?

Don't you think that maybe the tournament being so close to Derby had an effect?

I know that Eydie Romano used to suffer the same issues when her events were scheduled close to Derby.

If it were me and I had just attended the DCC I definitely would not have made the trek to Houston for a $5000 added event no matter what the weather was the week after DCC. As an amateur I am sure that my expenses would have been a lot at the DCC and I probably would not have wanted to fade the added travel not to mention not having any more time off. I personally would have wanted to unwind and decompress after Derby.

Sometimes the timing just isn't right.

Greyghost

Verified Member
From
Lafayette, LA
onepocketchump said:
Don't you think that maybe the tournament being so close to Derby had an effect?

I know that Eydie Romano used to suffer the same issues when her events were scheduled close to Derby.

If it were me and I had just attended the DCC I definitely would not have made the trek to Houston for a $5000 added event no matter what the weather was the week after DCC. As an amateur I am sure that my expenses would have been a lot at the DCC and I probably would not have wanted to fade the added travel not to mention not having any more time off. I personally would have wanted to unwind and decompress after Derby.

Sometimes the timing just isn't right.

not really we had Gabes event last year at the same time and the weather was not very good either........and we had I believe 48 players total......

5000K added in a 32 player field is ALOT of ADDED MONEY........this matters not to lesser players but its a good score for the top guys not to mention all the action that could be gained.

I don't know I was there, Joey was there and a bunch of other guys showed up......hell we even had a 14yr old playing the event so that don't say much for all the "grown" men who supposedly are one pocket players that didn't show........no big deal we had fun without all the extra players anyways. Oh did I forget to mention that everyone had an "extra 1.5-2 days" pretty much to show up.....whens the last time you could be horribly late and still get to play b/c the event was postponed so you could show up?

burn,
-Grey Ghost-

markgriffin

Verified Member
Questions on US Open One Pocket

Questions on US Open One Pocket

PLEASE -

If there are any questions on the running of the US OPen One Pocket (or any other CSI event) please send them to markg@playcsipool.com or Holly@playcsipool.com

Sometimes we may go several days without being able to view the forums and event then, we can miss important questions.

Our office number is 702-719-7665 PST (9 AM - 5 PM)

Thanks,
Mark Griffin

markgriffin

Verified Member
Drawing or scheduling matches

Drawing or scheduling matches

lfigueroa said:
Mark, why are you drawing matches weeks before the actual event? And if you're actually going to do that: will you be posting the draw somewhere weeks in advance?

Also, please see my post about the player's meeting -- didn't see beforehand you were posting in the thread.

Lou Figueroa

Lou, I said we would be scheduling matches - not drawing matches.

We need to try and determine how many players we will have (if the field fills up, that is easy) and schedule the matches. That means the days and times of the matches. We will not do the draw until a day or two before the event.

We would NEVER post the draw weeks in advance. We will try to post the draw a day or two before the match. This is convenient for the players and tells them what time they have to play. This is standard procedure for us when we use the CTS sytstem.

Mark Griffin

(Please contact our office for questions, it is easier and more expedient for all).

markgriffin

Verified Member
One Pocket player's meeting

One Pocket player's meeting

Due to the start date being moved ahead to the 12th, the Mandatory Player’s Meeting is now scheduled for 8 pm, Wednesday, May 11th.

The above was posted in an announcement.

This is based upon a couple of things; IF we get a full field of 64, the matches will probably be starting at 10 AM on Thursday.

We will need to have a player's meeting on Wednesday PM. It should not be too long but we will want to go over several things for the players. The rules, the arena (which will be 'open') - the player's head shots for use in the CTS system and press releases. The time for the players to buy their shirts at a discounted price.

Unfortunately it is not as easy as 'just go play'. But will only take about an hour or so. The tables will also be available for practice.

I think it is important to start on the 'right foot'.

Thank you for our questions, but PLEASE send them to markg@playcsipool.com - since I try to answer email every day.

Mark Griffin,
CSI