Odds On a Top Straight Pool Player Running 100 Balls

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Not a One Pocket question...but...

I posted this question in the middle of another thread, but I think it got overlooked, so I'm 'threading' it...

Artie, Billy, Freddy, Papie, Rod...and all other experienced gambler/handicappers....if a top straight pool player like John Schmidt or Thorsten Hohmann wants to bet he can step up to the table, let's say a gold crown with 4-1/2" pockets, start out with a standard 14.1 break shot and run 100 balls or more - what odds should he get to make it an even bet....I'm thinking the line might-could be about 5-1....whadda you guys think?

- Ghost

Last edited:

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
pocket size is key

pocket size is key

it definately depends on the size of the pockets. when you say 5 to 1 what size were you thinking of?

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Odds

Odds

I really have no idea about straight pool, but I think it's MUCH easier than running 15 in one pocket.
Rod.

beatle

Verified Member
more like 12 to one. if the cloth isnt too quick. that makes more difference than the pocket size. as it means whether the balls open or not.
i might be high on todays cloth but not on old timers with the slow cloth even with big pockets.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Eddie Kienowski

Eddie Kienowski

At the Miscue Lounge in Ft Lauderdale in the 60s, White Cannonball, Eddie Kienowski would run a 100 within a few trys and then we would go eat breakfast. 4 1/2 x 9 Gold Crown's ordinary pockets.

the Beard

I wouldnta laid him 5 to 1.

twister

Verified Member
From
Boston, MA
Didn't Bob Jewett run his straight pool challenge last year at the DCC? How many pros ran 100 or more? You could get an estimate there.

I'd take that and then compare it to the odds that Cory was getting against the ghost that one year in one pocket, where he'd break hard and try and run all 15 in one pocket. I can't remember the odds myself.

beatle

Verified Member
wait a minute here, we are talking about different things and i think i misinterpreted the original premise. i believed it is after a normal break shot in straight pool at the start of the game. not after the guy gets to chicago break them or set up his own break shot. then that is a different story. or when faced with an open table as counting how many 100's in a tourny. then all the odds change drastically downward.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
twister said:
Didn't Bob Jewett run his straight pool challenge last year at the DCC? How many pros ran 100 or more? You could get an estimate there.

I'd take that and then compare it to the odds that Cory was getting against the ghost that one year in one pocket, where he'd break hard and try and run all 15 in one pocket. I can't remember the odds myself.

Carey.......DCC play results don't apply...read my original post - I stipulated play on a Gold Crown, not a tougher playing Diamond.

- Ghost

twister

Verified Member
From
Boston, MA
Right, but for handicapping purposes, I'd rather start with a large set of available data for a similar situation, figure out the odds there and then adjust it a bit to compensate for other factors, like pocket size. Maybe too many math and science courses for me, but that's just my $.02...

Skin

Verified Member
twister said:
Right, but for handicapping purposes, I'd rather start with a large set of available data for a similar situation, figure out the odds there and then adjust it a bit to compensate for other factors, like pocket size. Maybe too many math and science courses for me, but that's just my $.02...

I agree with this. Does that now raise it to 4 cents? ;)

Skin

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
twister said:

Carey (and Skin)....Here's my 6 cents...:)...The 2009 World Straight Pool Chamoinship was played on my referenced 4-1/2" pocket Gold Crowns - use those results for your data...:)....:cool:

- Ghost

PS, Maybe too many school debate team wins, in my past....:D