Reflections on our member's tournament & planning ahead

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
If we don't have California set in stone (California not so much next year for me personally) i would definitely go to the Ice House in 2018 if we were invited.
Its got everything we need including local player members. Its centrally located to all players in the southwest It has another Jam up streamer and all those brand new Black Diamonds. What better host could we have than a one pocket icon.

calibration

Verified Member
From
Clarkston, Michigan
Sorry I missed

Sorry I missed

You guys looked to have a great time, so wish I could have joined you. And that beast of a player Airportjim,,,, way to put pressure on buddy

Mr. NEWKIRK your the champ congrats

Attachments

• 20170620_185720.jpg
    20170620_185720.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 0

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Steve,

LSJohn mentioned playing 3 rounds on Friday and that would do it as far as a timely finish on Sunday... I would even take it to the next level and make the event a 4 day tournament... Practice/action all day Thursday, Players meeting, Calcutta auction, and bracket draw late Thursday evening...

1st matches start on Friday at 12:00 sharp...
Play the initial round of 32, then two more rounds on the winners side and two more rounds on the 1 loss side, leaving 4 players on the winners side and 8 players on the 1 loss side... Should be done before midnight if slow play is monitored... Of course 20 players will be eliminated the 1st day, but as some have mentioned, that will leave more time for action and fellowship...:)

This will put the tournament in great shape to play down to the final 3 on Saturday, two on the 1 loss side, and the hot seat winner... This will shorten the usual grueling marathon for the eventual winner of the 1 loss side of the bracket and will also shorten the wait time the hot seat usually has to endure...

Then the finals on Sunday would finish well before 8:00 with only two matches scheduled, or a true dbl elimination could easily be played under this proposed format... If streamed, this would be a great benefit to the viewers as well, as they could actually be awake and see the eventual winner... :)

As to eligibility, whatever Steve Booth decides is just fine with me...
I'm not campaigning for or against non member entry, verified member entry only, or open field entry in a members only tournament, and I'm not asking Steve to convene a special council or ask for a member vote to determine who gets to play and who doesn't, Steve's a good man, and I'll quietly bite my tongue if I don't agree with his decision and abide by whatever he ultimately decides upon...

As to the timely completion of a particular match, yes, I agree something needs to be put in place before next years event... And IMHO, Steve can decide upon this also... It's not like he doesn't understand the game, he's a player and whatever he decides will definitely benefit all of us and the tournament...

I like the re-rack, rack your own rule, but I understand it's a controversial rule, one which draws fire from passionate people on both sides, so that said, I can certainly live with any rule that's either adopted by Steve, or by a cast vote of the participating members of the actual tournament that year...

The penalties for missing your start time outlined by Steve in his original post are perfectly fine with me, 15 minutes late forfeits 1 game, 30 minutes late forfeits 2 games, 45 minutes late... Forfeit the match... My $.02 worth...

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I was going to post a wisecrack about what if California should break off and sink into the ocean before tournament time, but I have decided not to. :heh

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i havent played in the tourneys so i am in a funny spot to comment
that being said
i really think there should be a true double elimination or a BIG advantage to the player on the winners side
think about it
if you lost because you only lost one match
and didnt get a chance to come back like your opponent
wouldnt that make you alittle bitter??
plus your opponent is just coming off a match and you have to play him cold
my 2 cents
icbw

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I should have been more clear, i wasn't referring to that match. I was talking about the actual starting time for the tournament. We were lucky it didn't turn out to be a issue, but IMO it needs to be clear everybody shows up on time for the start of the tournament. Can you imagine what wouls have happened if we had one show up Saturday morning...I still don't feel we should make allowances for late arrivals unless a emergency situation comes up.

We had a small glitch in the actual bracket draw, but if not for that we were ready to go at 4:08 -- that is pretty good considering the relative wildness of the calcutta auction lol. I think allowing 1 hour for the calcutta, the draw and the player meeting would solve those issues. We didn't have anyone miss Friday night, but I am OK with making Friday night mandatory -- especially since we were shooting for two complete rounds -- which we indeed did complete. That Friday no forfeit thing was a holdover from when we originally said it would be a Sat-Sun tournament.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I was going to post a wisecrack about what if California should break off and sink into the ocean before tournament time, but I have decided not to. :heh

I was gonna post a wisecrack that there are enough airheads out there to make sure it'll float just fine, but I won't. :p

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
i havent played in the tourneys so i am in a funny spot to comment
that being said
i really think there should be a true double elimination or a BIG advantage to the player on the winners side
think about it
if you lost because you only lost one match
and didnt get a chance to come back like your opponent
wouldnt that make you alittle bitter??
plus your opponent is just coming off a match and you have to play him cold
my 2 cents
icbw

Double elimination.... We would have watched the sun come up:eek:

JeaLouS44

Verified Member
From
FL
-Ball on break, don't count, spot it.
every 15 minutes forfeit one game is a Great idea.
-60 second shot clock, automatic extension 3 times? we aren't pros. LOL
Time yourself some time, a minute is a long time if you know you have to shoot before the minute. It is pretty hard to take a minute on every
shot.
-Verified Members only. Members if they been members for at least two years or one if they post at least once a week.
-HOF, for sure should be verified (30 second shot clock, no extensions LOL)
-Race to 2 on the loser side, race to 3 winners side, race to 4 final hill player gets choice who breaks.
-I personally do not like the full ball rule. It takes away almost 2 square feet off the table. I extends the kitchen for the object ball, shortens it for the cue ball.
-I don't like cutting a race short in the middle of the race, hence the shorter races on the loser side.
-Grady rule, no I don't like it, you already took 2 square feet away using the full ball rule, now you want to take almost 5 more square feet. while we are at it lets just make the line be the side pockets and spot any ball that comes to rest above the side pockets.
-11am start time Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
-Same time every year would be great, not fathers day though. Or 6 months notice.
-online sign up would be nice.
-online brackets would be nice.

Last edited:

Wayne

Verified Member
Great post Mr. Booth, I agree with everything you talked about, especially about allowing any local members (verified or not) to play in the tournaments... One good example would be Keith ( Earthquake ) McCredy if the tournament moves west next year and if in fact he is a member... I agree wholeheartly that there are those among the membership who just do not post and that's not a problem for me personally, to each his own... I don't believe that makes them less of a member simply because they do not contribute to site via posting...If they are members in good standing, I see no problem with them playing in a members tournament...

You may have had a chance with Keith if he was approached this year since he resides in Illinois I believe. He hasn't lived out West for many years.

He is a verified member who joined in 2004 and has about 20 posts under his name, nothing in several years though. Jam does post quiet frequently and gives some Keith updates in some of her posts. He is only 60 so much, much too young for the seniors tournament.

Last edited:

poolisboring

Verified Member
From
toledo
as far as letting world class players in the next tourney, i for one would welcome it--what is there to lose? you might even win a game off them or heaven forbid, a match (its possible, though not likely) and even if i got destroyed, i would savor the experience.......how many people can say they played efren? we have one guy around here that plays against pros in tourneys, and yeah, he gets dusted, but he really enjoys it, so i say go for it..... he recently played billy thorpe.......

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
You may have had a chance with Keith if he was approached this year since he resides in Illinois I believe. He hasn't lived out West for many years.

He is a verified member who joined in 2004 and has about 20 posts under his name, nothing in several years though. Jam does post quiet frequently and gives some Keith updates in some of her posts. He is only 60 so much, much too young for the seniors tournament.
He and JAM are in Maryland as far as I know.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
as far as letting world class players in the next tourney, i for one would welcome it--what is there to lose? you might even win a game off them or heaven forbid, a match (its possible, though not likely) and even if i got destroyed, i would savor the experience.......how many people can say they played efren? we have one guy around here that plays against pros in tourneys, and yeah, he gets dusted, but he really enjoys it, so i say go for it..... he recently played billy thorpe.......

Unless the tournament is local to a world class player and they have nothing else going on, I doubt we would see them at our tournament except to stop by and say hello as Chris Gentile and Ike Runnels did at our tournament.

They are not going to, IMO, enter a tournament that takes three days with a $100 entry fee and a $1,000 1st prize plus the players auction $$. I could be wrong of course, I often am.

I do enjoy playing against them and have been donating my $$ for years when I get a chance. I am lucky to be in an area where we have tournaments that draw several top players and I get a chance to do this. Like you said you would, and your friend, I enjoy it very much and treasure the experience. I am entered in a tournament that starts July 5th at California Billiards that will have quite a few champions playing. The entry fee is $100, not much to be able to play with the very best in something you love and have been doing for years.

RedCard

Verified Member
Unless the tournament is local to a world class player and they have nothing else going on, I doubt we would see them at our tournament except to stop by and say hello as Chris Gentile and Ike Runnels did at our tournament.

They are not going to, IMO, enter a tournament that takes three days with a $100 entry fee and a $1,000 1st prize plus the players auction $$. I could be wrong of course, I often am.

I do enjoy playing against them and have been donating my $$ for years when I get a chance. I am lucky to be in an area where we have tournaments that draw several top players and I get a chance to do this. Like you said you would, and your friend, I enjoy it very much and treasure the experience. I am entered in a tournament that starts July 5th at California Billiards that will have quite a few champions playing. The entry fee is $100, not much to be able to play with the very best in something you love and have been doing for years.

A friend of mine who plays pretty good enters the DCC banks and has the same outlook on it. He said where else can you pay $110.00 to enter and get to play with the best in the world. He went on to say, ‘can’t do it in golf, etc.’.

A couple of years ago I asked him who put him out of the tournament and he said…John Henderson.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Here are my suggestions.
We have the annual onepocket.org tournament in Chicago at Chris's, or Red Shoes during the third weekend of May. School is still in so travel is less expensive.
No, none, zip, nilch, nien, re rack.
We have the rules settled before hand. We can put them on line. The Calcutta is in $ten dollar increments.
The tournament for thirty two players starts 11am Friday, 10am Saturday, 10am losers side, and hot seat match after there are four players left.
Tournaments with more players, 48, 64 will go from Thursday to Sunday with shot clocks.
Any match lasting more than two hours goes to sixty second shot clock
Games will be forfeited for lateness. 15 min 1 games, plus ten minutes, game two, game match, after thirty minutes.
Entry fee is $200.
We have regional matches.
Fast Eddys, Capitals, Ca
The Freezer will host.
Chris will host.
Portland, Seattle will host
We use Onepocket.org members for the announcing of the stream. Set up can come from anyone
Kentucky is barred from playing pool.

poolisboring

Verified Member
From
toledo

i envy you John, i would love to play parica,santos, op rich, frank and a host of others on a regular basis--could only make my game stronger.......

poolisboring

Verified Member
From
toledo
hope to play next year-- still not able to fall asleep until 5 or 6 am, but most days been able to wake up around 11 or 12 and still play my usual game-- if i can still do that, then count me in.......