Down Lo, Chico CA

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I mentioned this room on the places to play section, but since most of the posters probably don't go there I will put it on here.

I spent a couple days up there this week playing on the best playing table in Northern CA IMO.

The room has ten older Diamonds and the front table was refinished by The Real King Cobra and has tournament blue Simonis and 4" pockets. You do not get to play on this table unless you are in action.

There is a full bar and kitchen and Chico being a college town, lots of young people in and out. Thursday night there was a jazz band playing, and while something like that might usually bother me, I was betting enough to just go with it.

There is some action there with good people, but they have been around and you are not going to steal anything, but if they like the game you can bet.

Like the name suggests, it is downstairs and really has an 'Old Pool Room' feel. I was there over 20 years ago when they had a poker room, nine ball tournaments and the owner would stake some local players.

Chico is out of the way, but Down Lo is worth a visit if you are in the area.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I remember that room from playing a tournament there in the mid 90's. It was a different name then, and I don't believe they had Diamonds at that time-- probably GCs. They had the poolroom downstairs, and upstairs was a nightclub. It was a pretty good room even then, especially for a college town.

It was the stomping ground of Henry the tree shaker. Remember him? The CA tournament regulars then were Roger Estelle, Chris MacDonald, Dave Piona, Tall Paul, Kim Davenport, Ron Allen, Filipino Gene, and several others whose names escape me. I used to travel all around the north part of the state to play events. The furthest south I went was to Modesto to play at an event at Davenport's room. I imagine some of those guys are still playing!

~Doc

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I remember that room from playing a tournament there in the mid 90's. It was a different name then, and I don't believe they had Diamonds at that time-- probably GCs. They had the poolroom downstairs, and upstairs was a nightclub. It was a pretty good room even then, especially for a college town.

It was the stomping ground of Henry the tree shaker. Remember him? The CA tournament regulars then were Roger Estelle, Chris MacDonald, Dave Piona, Tall Paul, Kim Davenport, Ron Allen, Filipino Gene, and several others whose names escape me. I used to travel all around the north part of the state to play events. The furthest south I went was to Modesto to play at an event at Davenport's room. I imagine some of those guys are still playing!

~Doc

They had AE Schmidt (sp) tables then doc. I played and gambled in there some. The older black guy that used to be in action there was still around and we put a Sacramento player in against him for $100 agame and got beat a few games.

I lived in Modesto when Kim, Audie Perez and the original owner, Dave Ferroni reopened that room around 1990. They had Rebco tables that played pretty soft compared to what we play on today.

I gave Kim the cure playing golf on a tight 5 x 10 they had there. They still have the table at Break Time Billiards down the road. Their regular tables are all Diamonds. Then there is Diamond Billiards (Used to be Blvd. Billiards) up the road that might have one Diamond table.

Dead Empty

When tightening pockets...

When tightening pockets...

When tightening pockets RKC doesn't just add shims. He prefers to extend the wood on the rail and cuts the cushion to the new proper length to achieve the pocket size. There will be a single facing on the cushion in the pocket and you won't see the two or three individual little points you most often see with shimmed small pockets. This is more costly but the results are worth much more than the price. He did a GC I in my basement a few years back. Did the pockets to 4 3/8". I won't go into all the work but it was a perfect table when he was through. I have a friend who plays around bottom level pro speed one pocket and was a road player for 30 years. Extremely smart and aware player. He said it's the only table he ever played on where he didn't have to compensate on his banks. Just hit the ball where you should and the bank goes where it should.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
When tightening pockets RKC doesn't just add shims. He prefers to extend the wood on the rail and cuts the cushion to the new proper length to achieve the pocket size. There will be a single facing on the cushion in the pocket and you won't see the two or three individual little points you most often see with shimmed small pockets. This is more costly but the results are worth much more than the price. He did a GC I in my basement a few years back. Did the pockets to 4 3/8". I won't go into all the work but it was a perfect table when he was through. I have a friend who plays around bottom level pro speed one pocket and was a road player for 30 years. Extremely smart and aware player. He said it's the only table he ever played on where he didn't have to compensate on his banks. Just hit the ball where you should and the bank goes where it should.

I play on GC4s with 4" shimmed pockets and the Diamond table I played on in Chico that RKC worked on plays much better. The shimmed tables will spit balls out that are hit perfectly.

Henry

Verified Member
Nice of John to not mention he got our cash and he played real good at the end. My wife says at least I made John happy. I love playing John because the money is always there and if I can figure out how to win I can get it back. Message to the barber we played some cheap one pocket last time I was in LA and I am coming back in a couple weeks and would like to play some more. How you been Doc

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Nice of John to not mention he got our cash and he played real good at the end. My wife says at least I made John happy. I love playing John because the money is always there and if I can figure out how to win I can get it back. Message to the barber we played some cheap one pocket last time I was in LA and I am coming back in a couple weeks and would like to play some more. How you been Doc

Well, how have you been doing, ole buddy!? LONG time, no see. Check your PM's.

~Doc

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California

Yes sir, it was a pleasure to meet and play with you. I would love to play again. I can play anytime except Dec 6th. I am running a ten ball ring game tournament that day at Stix in Rancho Cucamonga but can play any other time.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa

Sorry, but that money is long gone.:frus John didn't mention there was an ice cream parlor right next to our Motel and around the corner, a donut shop. What didn't go to these two places went to the dentist.:eek:
I'll print some more if you come to San Jose.:lol

Henry

Verified Member
Yes sir, it was a pleasure to meet and play with you. I would love to play again. I can play anytime except Dec 6th. I am running a ten ball ring game tournament that day at Stix in Rancho Cucamonga but can play any other time.

I will send you PM with the dates I will be there.

Henry

Verified Member
Sorry, but that money is long gone.:frus John didn't mention there was an ice cream parlor right next to our Motel and around the corner, a donut shop. What didn't go to these two places went to the dentist.:eek:
I'll print some more if you come to San Jose.:lol

I would love to come to San Jose I am just worried you will have back problems. I know you want to play but your want and your back are two different things. I am not done with John hope you come with him next time. You have a good game in Chico.