Typical backer payouts?

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Just curious what your experience is and if there is a standard?

I typically play for my own cash but may have a sizable match coming up and someone who wants to back me. Betting this high on my own is not an option so it's a win win IMO. But what is the standard split?

Thanks.

onepockethacker

Verified Member

I typically play for my own cash but may have a sizable match coming up and someone who wants to back me. Betting this high on my own is not an option so it's a win win IMO. But what is the standard split?

Thanks.

Based on your level of play, win percentage and game making ability you should settle out of court for minimum wage LOL:lol

Cory in dc

Verified Member

Thanks.

Are you playing John Barton?

If you like a $10k bet enough to bet $1000 or $2000, then I say you can't afford not to take 100% of yourself.

Now, if you just want to do a favor for a friend and spread the wealth, or if it's close to a coin toss, then I would say 40%-50% for you is reasonable. (Before you respond, note that your would-be opponent might read 1P.org.)

Good luck!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I'm not experienced in this area. But it seems to me, if a player and his backer are not real close friends, then the percentage would probably be set in such a way that the player would be least likely to dump. That said, I'm not sure how one would figure that out...:)

~Doc

OPBEAST

Verified Member
I think its as simple as this:

Give the backer 100% of what he fronted. And then there is a 50/50 split on the profit.

Ex. If the backer fronts $10,000 for the match:
If you guys win, the backer gets his $10,000 back(front money) plus $5000(money won) and the 'horse' gets $5000.
If you guys lose, the backer loses $10,000 and you lose none. Like you said, its win-win for the player.

Now if 'grooming expenses'(food, shelter, travel, etc) gets factored in, then thats a whole nother 'tax bracket'.

Last edited:

DickP

Verified Member
From
San Antonio, TX
Ronnie Allen tells a great story about playing Busty where Ronnie gets skunked. His backer is fed up but he and Busty want to keep shooting, so they end up switching backers. Busty skunks him again. The kicker is now neither backer wants to pay up and Busty ends up getting stiffed...

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ

Thanks.

Mitch, im not experienced in either backing or being backed but I do understand money. I can't understand anyone putting up the money, on a fair game, and only getting 50% of the winnings as their return. Thats a terrible return! Basically he's laying 2 to1 on an even money bet. Me personally, Im not betting my money unless I'm getting at the very least the correct odds. Remember they built Vegas on 3 and 4%. I know that doesn't answer your question but knowing that if I were you, id take as big a percent as I could get- its a free roll for you. keith

GoldCrown

Verified Member
I'm not a gambler so I can't answer...and I might be out of line but....bet with your own money....bet only what you can handle. Control your own action. No partners. No problems.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown

Thanks.

Mitch....there is no hard and fast rule...and oftentimes the amount of the split can be on a sliding scale, depending on how much of a favorite the player getting staked is to win the match.

- Ghost

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
He's only laying 2 to 1 on the first game or the first set.
Rod.
Hey Rod, your thinking is a little debatable. While the backers odds change as the games go on ,the initial bet at 2 to 1 is an enormous risk odds wise that warrants a much greater return of the potential winnings than a 50% split. if the match up is somewhat even, at a 50% split the backer over time is an enormous loser. Keith

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Typical backer payouts?

Thanks everyone for the info and opinions (except for Goldcrown and the hack attack 😜😜). Jk Frank :). You know you're my buddy.

Like I opened with, I have always played for my own money, so this may never happen.... But in case.. I wanted the benefit of your collective experience... So thanks!!

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Mitch, one problem with betting your own but betting far less than your opponent would prefer is the side action he might find. Say you want to bet $50 a game and the other guy wants to bet $200.He finds side action for the other $150 and you get none of that cheese when you win. :frus

Tom

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
if the match up is somewhat even, at a 50% split the backer over time is an enormous loser. Keith

Only the 1st match. If they lose the 1st and win the next match, all the 2nd match money goes to the stakehorse.

If they lose every match, he's only laying 2/1 the first match.

If they lose three in a row and win the next two, he's back where he started.

If they lose 4 and win 5, he's laying 2/1 again. and he's very happy.

Rod.
P.S. I hope I'm making myself clear. Getting old is not for Sissies.

beatle

Verified Member
only a stone cold sucker for a backer gives 50% or even close to that for a one time play.

maybe 50% if you go on the road for a month and the player matches up real well.

or you have the absolute nuts and the player wont take less.

actually you should give according to the % you are favored to win.

say you are a two to one favorite to win for the days play the shooter should get one third the money. but then its just a fair game and you have no edge.. so why bet on a fair game. just go flip coins.

to stake anyone you have to be a great game maker and understand odds, or you are on the losing end.

treeMan

Verified Member
Mitch, im not experienced in either backing or being backed but I do understand money. I can't understand anyone putting up the money, on a fair game, and only getting 50% of the winnings as their return. Thats a terrible return! Basically he's laying 2 to1 on an even money bet. Me personally, Im not betting my money unless I'm getting at the very least the correct odds. Remember they built Vegas on 3 and 4%. I know that doesn't answer your question but knowing that if I were you, id take as big a percent as I could get- its a free roll for you. keith

I've often wondered this, it makes zero sense if the match is anywhere near even ....

androd said:
He's only laying 2 to 1 on the first game or the first set.
Rod.

Unless Rod would explain how the odds change after the first game/set? Are you looking at it as some kind of pot odds? I can't see how previous games won or lost affect the odds of the current game, and I would like to understand.

tree

ps sorry, semi hijack here. 40 or 50% cut to me is generous (see above), I'm with sappo, you are free-rolling!

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Only the 1st match. If they lose the 1st and win the next match, all the 2nd match money goes to the stakehorse.

If they lose every match, he's only laying 2/1 the first match.

If they lose three in a row and win the next two, he's back where he started.

If they lose 4 and win 5, he's laying 2/1 again. and he's very happy.

Rod.
P.S. I hope I'm making myself clear. Getting old is not for Sissies.

Very clear, and it's a good point, but I get the impression that Mitch's question was about a big bet for one set. Different kettle of fish.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Typical backer payouts?

Very clear, and it's a good point, but I get the impression that Mitch's question was about a big bet for one set. Different kettle of fish.

Actually not sure what the bet would be yet. Undecided. Either by the game, sets, or if one bigger set, ahead set. It was just an overall question.