Hall Vs Jones

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
For my cash this (V-Mans shot) is the clear shot. Why would anybody 3-rail a ball from here when they only need one ball? I think a few of you were hitting the bottle last night.

Well I hit the bottle every night but I can't imagine not taking an almost free shot to win the game. I picked the 13 ball earlier but the 2 ball (ala SJDuck) is the safer shot. :) Of course I'd never kiss the 13 ball.:D
I just don't get playing safe here.:confused:

Rod.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
NH Steve said:
I might go thicker off the 10 ball to try to leave the cue ball more across the table than up the table, and at the same time nudge the 6-ball out from behind the 9-ball.
Steve and Doc, this is an excellent time for Buddy to shoot at his hole, he shouldn't be thinking about playing safe, considering how the balls are positioned.

There are three good offensive options available. 3 rail either the 2 ball or 13 ball, or 2 rail the 10 ball. Depending on what shot Buddy feels most confident in will be the shot he chooses. I felt that he would choose the 2 ball in an earlier post, but he may choose the 10 ball. I would choose the 2 ball because I have a good feel for that type of a shot with the angle offered. I like both ends of that shot, I like my chances of making it and if missed I feel that I will get another shot in my next inning.

Billy I.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
wincardona said:
Steve and Doc, this is an excellent time for Buddy to shoot at his hole, he shouldn't be thinking about playing safe, considering how the balls are positioned.

There are three good offensive options available. 3 rail either the 2 ball or 13 ball, or 2 rail the 10 ball. Depending on what shot Buddy feels most confident in will be the shot he chooses. I felt that he would choose the 2 ball in an earlier post, but he may choose the 10 ball. I would choose the 2 ball because I have a good feel for that type of a shot with the angle offered. I like both ends of that shot, I like my chances of making it and if missed I feel that I will get another shot in my next inning.
The 2-railer on the 10 ball won't go. It would also court disaster if it were attempted. My guess is that Buddy 3-railed either the 13 or the 2. Both are very difficult 3-railers, as John Brumback will attest to.

But for us non-champions, perhaps Artie or Freddie will tell us the right one-pocket shot. Ghost hasn't chimed in with a serious shot yet either. At my level, I'd want to cut the 10, and leave whitey on the short rail near the corner.

Doc

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
wincardona said:
Dick, to me 3 railing the 2 ball is CLEARLY the correct shot. If he doesn't 3 rail the 2 ball i'll buy everyone dinner at the next tournament. To me it's the only shot.

I would hit this shot with low right english (1/2 tip right) and kill the cue ball off the side rail and drop to the top rail. There's a good chance that he will use the 10 ball as a blocking ball if he misses the 2 ball.

Seriously, it's not clearly the correct shot, but it's such a strong shot considering the angle it's laying on, that it is clearly the correct shot.

Billy I.
I really hope Buddy shoots the 2 ball, buying everyone dinner could get very expensive at Burger King.

Billy I.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
gulfportdoc said:
The 2-railer on the 10 ball won't go. It would also court disaster if it were attempted. My guess is that Buddy 3-railed either the 13 or the 2. Both are very difficult 3-railers, as John Brumback will attest to.

But for us non-champions, perhaps Artie or Freddie will tell us the right one-pocket shot. Ghost hasn't chimed in with a serious shot yet either. At my level, I'd want to cut the 10, and leave whitey on the short rail near the corner.

Doc
Doc, the 2 railer on the 10 ball is a good shot and is very makeable. I would like to share with everyone how I shoot this type of a shot, if interested.

I shoot this shot hitting a full ball and throw the object ball with english, transferring more turn on the object ball which sends it naturally towards your pocket. Shooting this shot in this fashion makes this shot more makeable, and gives you more of a margin for error with the accuracy of the shot.

The cue ball should be hit 1 tip below center with max spin using your wrist. This technique gives me the results that I like. Try it. Set this shot up a half dozen times and develop a feel for this type of stroke.

If you like it you owe me dinner, and not at Burger King.

Billy I.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
wincardona said:
Doc, the 2 railer on the 10 ball is a good shot and is very makeable. I would like to share with everyone how I shoot this type of a shot, if interested.

I shoot this shot hitting a full ball and throw the object ball with english, transferring more turn on the object ball which sends it naturally towards your pocket. Shooting this shot in this fashion makes this shot more makeable, and gives you more of a margin for error with the accuracy of the shot.

The cue ball should be hit 1 tip below center with max spin using your wrist. This technique gives me the results that I like. Try it. Set this shot up a half dozen times and develop a feel for this type of stroke.

Billy I.

I believe the 10 ball is makeable, spinning it is a good way to shoot it.
Although I have shot it straight in the upper corner and when it spotted up I felt like a bit of a goose.:p
Rod

crystal cue

Verified Member
wincardona said:

Billy I.

I finally got one close to right:) .....thanks DocTOR

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
SJDinPHX said:
Grossty,

YOU CAN"T BE SERIOUS !!! (think John MacEnroe)...Hit that shot less than perfect, and you "loose"...And by the way, what are you
doing with the cue ball ?...

PS..Note smiley faces, to avoid "Chicago prone" hurt feelers..:p

Papie....I was only kidding about shooting that shot..:rolleyes:...

...although, if it was you I was playing against, I might shoot it - cuz I would be knowing I couldn't 'loose' anyway, so I could go ahead and shoot at flyers if I felt like it..:eek: :D :p

- Goasty

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
androd said:
I believe the 10 ball is makeable, spinning it is a good way to shoot it.
Although I have shot it straight in the upper corner and when it spotted up I felt like a bit of a goose.:p
Rod
Rodney, hitting a fuller ball with max english using your wrist for quickness allows you the luxury of hitting the rail further away from the corner pocket. The extra turn transferred to the object ball sends it more naturally and consistently toward your pocket. I have found out that shooting this shot in the fashion I described is a much better way of playing the shot.

Your wrist generates more turn on the object ball because of the quickness you pick up with your stroke. The extra turn on the object ball sends it deeper to the 2nd cushion, which in turn sends it toward your pocket.:cool:

Billy I.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
gulfportdoc said:

Doc
You have a point doc, maybe they would pm me with the right shot.:)

Billy I.

tsk7878

Verified Member
From
chicago,il
10 ball

10 ball

Dr. Bill, would you use left hand to throw the ten or right hand to apply right spin to the OB, thanks , do you accept medicare? tk

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
bstroud said:
Having played Buddy many times I would expect him to one rail the 10 ball and put the cue ball on the end rail.

And the answer is?

Bill Stroud
This is a better choice than putting the 10 by the side pocket, I like it unless it stays near the end rail and JJ gets a shot at a carom-bank of those two balls by the side.

This is the perfect situation for doing something simple and leaving no return shot. Get back to the table and see what JJ leaves you. Put the 10 near your pocket and force him to shoot it away. Simple.

Dennis

Greenshot_2011-04-16_15-24-10.jpg

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
gulfportdoc said:

Doc[/QUOTE

I dont no the score but the two ball is the only shot I see and the cue ball goes accross the table and thier is no kiss nothing bad that can happen.

You can only win on the shot. And lock youre opponent up. Isnt that enough.

But I was looking forward at having dinner at Pieros. Sweathers choice. You dont excpecte us too eat at mickdonalds. Do you.

bstroud

Verified Member
Buddy shot the shot I expected from him.

He is a conservative player unless he gets in a spot that he is unfamiliar with.

I think this is the correct shot. He has a great advantage and it is time to wait for a better opportunity. The 3 rail on any ball looks to me like an unnecessary risk.

Bill Stroud

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
bstroud said:

He is a conservative player unless he gets in a spot that he is unfamiliar with.

I think this is the correct shot. He has a great advantage and it is time to wait for a better opportunity. The 3 rail on any ball looks to me like an unnecessary risk.

Bill Stroud

Howe many balls did Buddy Hall need? What did Buddy Hall shoot/

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
bstroud said:

Bill Stroud
Bill,

I have no idea what Buddy shot, I merely diagrammed your shot as I thought it might be shot. This is not my thread, you'll have to wait for Larry to post Buddy's shot.

Dennis

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
bstroud said:

Bill Stroud

Bill for a top player like Buddy there wouldn't be any risk at all. To me it looks like a natural shot. Draw the cue ball to the right side cushion and the drop to the top rail. The cue ball easily beats the 2 ball to the top right side of the table and both balls take their natural course to their respective destinations.

This shot is actually a very easy shot for any level of player, just play the 2 ball three cushions and draw the ball.

Billy I.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
As the caterpillar told Alice "start at the beginning and when you reach the end...stop".:D

RBL

Thats likr bruce Lee when you snatch the pettle from my hand then you will be ready for your journey.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I don't like the shot Buddy took. I don't think he did the best he could from the position he had. Just forcing JJ to move the 10 ball did not accomplish anything, and I'll bet Buddy,s next shot didn't offer as many good options as this one.