mercy

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Listening to Paul Desmond blow and can't help thinking it reminds me of watching Buddy or Ronnie run through the balls.Virtuosty on all levels to be savored like words here,shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,cheers,B

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
He has the smoothest soft tone and can blow wide open with any of the more well known alto's.

And his phrasing is what I like - Quirky, just on the edge a little. You just have to hear him to know how good his music can make you feel.

sunnyone

Verified Member
From
nyc
another good one!

another good one!

i love 'bye bye blackbird' via ben webster! although he's a tenor. i just enjoy that breathy sound.

sunny

p. s. and 'harlem nocturne' by illinois jacquet!

p. p. s. and of course 'take five' -- paul desmond!

cuesmith

Verified Member
I like the Blues also, but I'm partial to the guitar guys. All 4 of the Kings, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Johnny Lang, Buddy Guy, Eric Clapton and those of that vein. Johnny Lang may be my favorite even though he's the youngest of the Blues greats!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Well I've always liked the blues too -- but I definitely also like the bluesy jazz artists too, like Ben Webster :)

sunnyone

Verified Member
From
nyc
breakthrough! (well, for me.)

breakthrough! (well, for me.)

i just listend to diana krall doing 'bye bye blackbird.' have you heard her? she has such a breathy quality, it reminds me of ben webster!

does anyone know, did she do this on purpose? an homage to b.w.?

great sound!

music is my life!

sunny

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
sunnyone said:
i just listend to diana krall doing 'bye bye blackbird.' have you heard her? she has such a breathy quality, it reminds me of ben webster!

does anyone know, did she do this on purpose? an homage to b.w.?

great sound!

music is my life!

sunny
Larry(lll) has special insights into music and musicians, maybe he could help out here.

Cowboy Dee

philwelch

Verified Member
From
Plainfield,IL
Paul Desmond definately had a sweet tone. Another one I'd have to add to the list is James Moody. As far as blues goes, B.B. King and Stevie Ray do it for me.