Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2017, 07:42 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 HOLE NUT View Post
I was looking forward to getting in the grease with as many members as I could while i was there, but just like New Orleans, and most one pocket tournaments there is never enough time, tables, or opponents to get into it like i would have liked. The action I did get into was very fun, and I thank everyone who i got to play with.

Got there Wed. morning and hit some balls on the two main tables with Col. Bille we drove through the night so I knew I was not going to be at my best so when Mr. Newkirk, and Mr. Warren walked I did not jump on them right away and soon after Mr. Tom Wirth came in and it did not take Newkirk and Wirth long to match up, as they also did in New Orleans. Well even though i was glad that 2 of the top players in the tournament looked right past me they gave me the itch to play so asked Mr. Warren to play some cheap $20 a game it was one of the best session I had all weekend, not because I won but because of his speed of play if you did not know better you would have thought we were playing 9 ball, because we both just get up there and shot the 1st thing that came to us. I got up a few games and we adjusted to 9/7, which I did not mind at all, but into it a few games I passed Bllie the stick because I thought they would be a better game and I wanted Bille to get his feet wet. Mr. Warren gets the Gambling Ironman Award because he stayed in action, as he did not care who or where he played. That reminds me about the tables, when I 1st started playing 1 hole, diamonds just started surfacing in our area and thatís what I became to like, hell I stop going to bars, and 9 ball tournaments unless they had diamonds, so i'm a bit of a spoiled brat when come to equipment, with that being said it has been a very long time since i have seen much less played on a gold crown. The Gold Crowns at Chris's were in great shape but I was not going to match up a big or tough game on them so that left me kinda up shit creek without a paddle because the tournament should have and was going use the 4 diamonds as much as possible. There was times that the middle diamond was not needed but its location was such that it would interfered with the tournament matches so that even lower my chances of going bust, in high sight it was a good thing.

Next up was a local oriental guy canít think of his name but he was by far the funniest guy in the building, I think I heard where he taught some of the locals how to play over the years , he has been around awhile Iím thinking but he did not look that old. Mike Eck set this game up and Iím sure he/and Mike was just trying clock my game for future action. well it only lasted 3 games with me being up one game he said I was too good for him.

Next up was my 1st of 3 sessions with Mike Eck, at this point me and bille had been up over 35 hours, so I asked if me and him could only bet $20 a game, because I did not know how I was going to do, well I think that Mike did not play well (accidentally or on propose I don't know) and I played good and I was up 2 games about closing time. Time to get some rest...

Thursday I wanted to get into as much action as possible, well I didn't but what i did get into was good action none the less. John Henderson was there and looking to play and I have heard a lot about his gambling over many years and have always enjoyed hearing the old war stories, those are the guys I really like to play because I feel that I can learn the most from them even if it cost me a little bit. I knew this already but there was nothing that I did or could do that he has not already seen or done to someone else. That made it tough to win, but I was able to eventually get 4 games up on him and he called it quits. Thank you Mr. John for the action, hope to pick your brain again soon. At this point a lot of people were there and other members were playing games that they had been waiting on since the last members event, so I started looking for action from the locals and it did not take long for me to be in action with one of the better players that plays there, not sure of his name but I heard he played like Mike Eck, we played about 6 or 8 games breaking even.
Later on, that night I met a local Bank pool champ by the name of Neil Jacobs, but had no clue who he was till after we played a few games on the back gold crowns, that just reconfirmed that I donít like BIG pocket gold crowns, and that he in fact was a bank pool monster, got out pretty quick only losing 1 game for 20. Well I told him I only wanted to play on a diamond but we had to wait until one opened which I was hoping never happened because by now I had got the scoop on him from some of the locals, he is someone that I would normally not match up with because of his shadyisum, but action was feeling a bit scarce so I agreed to play him a 5 ahead for $200, that way he had to post it. Plus he was flowing me around like a lost dog, he thought he had a fish. Well I started out bad(like a fish) and he was banking like a monster and got up 3 games before something happened and I just started playing one pocket, before you knew it I was up 3, and had a chance to be up 4 when I sharked myself by allowing myself to lose concentration when down on a crucial shot in the game I needed 4 balls and he scratched they were all there for me to get and I hit the first one into the rail and look at the only one talking like they sharked me, which in fact I SHARKED MYSELF, Iím A DONKEY, and I was done from there and he gets back to even, and I quit, he tried to give me grief about quitting, but we was not playing for enough to say we was locking that up until one of us loses, I have never been the type to make someone do that, unless we agreed before the match on that. Not knowing each other very well I can see where we might have had a problem there, especially if he thought he was fixing to get the cash, but hopefully he knew I was not going down without a fight on the table, so he just let it go.
Next and last for Thursday was my 2nd round with Mike Eck, which I let him tell me what he wanted to bet($20) and we locked horns on the front table again with me playing good again, him not playing that well this time me winning 4 games before he called it quits. Just like I always do it does not matter who I play I just want to play , and that hurts me in a few ways for future action, with me playing Mike and winning now all games matched up were with that info which is not always the most accurate of resources, for example Mike plays all these guys all time where he is very comfortable in his game around them so he can give them more weight than someone like me who donít know if the locals are been truthful about their speed, after being there for those few day I feel like Mike and everyone was being totally truthful about their speeds but at the time and from being around pool all my life it is very hard to give that much credit to the truthful theory.

Friday is here, got there early enough to get into it with Tom Wirth, I had list of people I wanted to play before him but when you get to play him for $20 a game knowing that it would only be a couple of hours before the tournament starts so you canít lose that much, I jumped at the chance to play, plus it was a Diamond table to practice on before tournament. I was able to be up 1 game when we had to quit, but I knew that was not his top game I was getting, but I still loved and learned a lot in a short time, told him to keep the 20. After we finished our 2 rounds for the night I was looking to get into it but was not able to find a game until the later hours when none other than Ike Runnels walks in looking to play, and by this point I was not backing down from anyone, so I tell him the right game is 11/7, even though I really need a little more, but thatís how I match up, and people always wonder why Iím broke. He donít want to even give me that, tells me how he plays Mike Eck using that as his benchmark to negotiate, well I said I played mike $20 a game even and I would do that with him, he said he wanted to bet a little more so we did not play, well after a couple of hours of him sitting on the rail and me needling him about our game he took me up on my even for 20 game, and it was on, I lay down a perfect break and he really donít have anything to shoot at after about 5 min of looking over the shot, he back banks a ball into the stack with the last ball rolling lucking into his pocket, it hit more than 3 balls before it went to his hole, then he preceded to run 8 and out, next game we had about 4 chances at the table before he made a dead 3 ball combo that I left him, then he runs out, he made $40 faster than anyone I ever met, they even said donít worry about the pool time. It was great to play him but I should say that I was VERY disappointed that he did not try harder to gamble with me, I play Cliff 10/6, and I know Ike can get there with him so was 11/7 even the game I was supposed to ask for, I think not. At this point after all that I wanted to get some rest because I thought I had a chance in tournament the next day.

Saturday the day the wheels fell off the bus. I get knocked out of tournament, and no tables to get in action on for me.

Sunday I get there early and me and Mike Eck play our 3rd and final session which when he asked me to bet $40, think a said $30, not sure now days started running together at this point, but I do know he played better and I play worst with him winning 5 straight before we had to quit for tournament matches, thank goodness because he would have got his travel expenses paid for(he he) if we would have kept playing. Good shooting Mike I knew you played better than you showed me in the 1st 2 sessions, you donít become one of the top 5 one pocket players in a big city like Chicago without being able to get down like James Brown. Hell, Iím not even in the top 5 in my little old state down here in Mississippi. Well for the better part of our final day I spent it watching some great onehole, from the tournament to Mr. Steve taking any all Col. Billeís money he won from anyone else all weekend. I did play Chris Chincy_Kid a little bit on a gold crown where again the game takes on a whole new meaning for me on big pocket gold crowns where instead of using it to my advantage and running more balls I always feel like Iím going to scratch on every shot, I had fun but not really only because of the table, Chris is a cool dude, wish we were closer so we could practice more. I know this is a run-on story but I only have one more action report then it is back to Mississippi for me and my road partner Col. Bille. I was really feeling like I did not get me enough gamble for the trip so I was primed up to go off, and Neil Jacob was begging to be the one that takes me off, I most always need someone to tell me and, to also bet with or on me before I really feel like i can get there, and the locals were all telling me they thought I could beat this guy playing one hole, there was one guy that even approached me and offered to go in with me against him, well that is all it took for me to go from a head set for a few hundred to $100 a game, and in my typical fashion I started out very bad getting down 3,and him slinging banks in like it was a big pocket gold crown, when yes I started playing one pocket and was on a comeback winning 2 and racking to break when the desk guy says last game, boy I was mad but I still gave it all I had and it was a good game by both hopefully exciting for the people that was watching both ours and the finals of the tournament, but I came up short and payed off, the bad thing is we watched the finals for about another hour or so, no telling what would have happened, Iím telling myself that he would have lost 1 game by then, ď a boy can dreamĒÖ..

Even though I used a lot of them, words canít explain the joy and happiness that I had on this lifelong dream trip I took. Thanks again to Col. Bille for everything, and to all the members that I met, played, and talked to. Donít take this the wrong way but yall all got action, because thatís what I like to do. Please forgive all grammar mistakes.
i doubt i could beat you, but still, i'd like to give it a try......
Old 07-02-2017, 12:05 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 HOLE NUT View Post
I was looking forward to getting in the grease with as many members as I could while i was there, but just like New Orleans, and most one pocket tournaments there is never enough time, tables, or opponents to get into it like i would have liked. The action I did get into was very fun, and I thank everyone who i got to play with.

Got there Wed. morning and hit some balls on the two main tables with Col. Bille we drove through the night so I knew I was not going to be at my best so when Mr. Newkirk, and Mr. Warren walked I did not jump on them right away and soon after Mr. Tom Wirth came in and it did not take Newkirk and Wirth long to match up, as they also did in New Orleans. Well even though i was glad that 2 of the top players in the tournament looked right past me they gave me the itch to play so asked Mr. Warren to play some cheap $20 a game it was one of the best session I had all weekend, not because I won but because of his speed of play if you did not know better you would have thought we were playing 9 ball, because we both just get up there and shot the 1st thing that came to us. I got up a few games and we adjusted to 9/7, which I did not mind at all, but into it a few games I passed Bllie the stick because I thought they would be a better game and I wanted Bille to get his feet wet. Mr. Warren gets the Gambling Ironman Award because he stayed in action, as he did not care who or where he played. That reminds me about the tables, when I 1st started playing 1 hole, diamonds just started surfacing in our area and thatís what I became to like, hell I stop going to bars, and 9 ball tournaments unless they had diamonds, so i'm a bit of a spoiled brat when come to equipment, with that being said it has been a very long time since i have seen much less played on a gold crown. The Gold Crowns at Chris's were in great shape but I was not going to match up a big or tough game on them so that left me kinda up shit creek without a paddle because the tournament should have and was going use the 4 diamonds as much as possible. There was times that the middle diamond was not needed but its location was such that it would interfered with the tournament matches so that even lower my chances of going bust, in high sight it was a good thing.

Next up was a local oriental guy canít think of his name but he was by far the funniest guy in the building, I think I heard where he taught some of the locals how to play over the years , he has been around awhile Iím thinking but he did not look that old. Mike Eck set this game up and Iím sure he/and Mike was just trying clock my game for future action. well it only lasted 3 games with me being up one game he said I was too good for him.

Next up was my 1st of 3 sessions with Mike Eck, at this point me and bille had been up over 35 hours, so I asked if me and him could only bet $20 a game, because I did not know how I was going to do, well I think that Mike did not play well (accidentally or on propose I don't know) and I played good and I was up 2 games about closing time. Time to get some rest...

Thursday I wanted to get into as much action as possible, well I didn't but what i did get into was good action none the less. John Henderson was there and looking to play and I have heard a lot about his gambling over many years and have always enjoyed hearing the old war stories, those are the guys I really like to play because I feel that I can learn the most from them even if it cost me a little bit. I knew this already but there was nothing that I did or could do that he has not already seen or done to someone else. That made it tough to win, but I was able to eventually get 4 games up on him and he called it quits. Thank you Mr. John for the action, hope to pick your brain again soon. At this point a lot of people were there and other members were playing games that they had been waiting on since the last members event, so I started looking for action from the locals and it did not take long for me to be in action with one of the better players that plays there, not sure of his name but I heard he played like Mike Eck, we played about 6 or 8 games breaking even.
Later on, that night I met a local Bank pool champ by the name of Neil Jacobs, but had no clue who he was till after we played a few games on the back gold crowns, that just reconfirmed that I donít like BIG pocket gold crowns, and that he in fact was a bank pool monster, got out pretty quick only losing 1 game for 20. Well I told him I only wanted to play on a diamond but we had to wait until one opened which I was hoping never happened because by now I had got the scoop on him from some of the locals, he is someone that I would normally not match up with because of his shadyisum, but action was feeling a bit scarce so I agreed to play him a 5 ahead for $200, that way he had to post it. Plus he was flowing me around like a lost dog, he thought he had a fish. Well I started out bad(like a fish) and he was banking like a monster and got up 3 games before something happened and I just started playing one pocket, before you knew it I was up 3, and had a chance to be up 4 when I sharked myself by allowing myself to lose concentration when down on a crucial shot in the game I needed 4 balls and he scratched they were all there for me to get and I hit the first one into the rail and look at the only one talking like they sharked me, which in fact I SHARKED MYSELF, Iím A DONKEY, and I was done from there and he gets back to even, and I quit, he tried to give me grief about quitting, but we was not playing for enough to say we was locking that up until one of us loses, I have never been the type to make someone do that, unless we agreed before the match on that. Not knowing each other very well I can see where we might have had a problem there, especially if he thought he was fixing to get the cash, but hopefully he knew I was not going down without a fight on the table, so he just let it go.
Next and last for Thursday was my 2nd round with Mike Eck, which I let him tell me what he wanted to bet($20) and we locked horns on the front table again with me playing good again, him not playing that well this time me winning 4 games before he called it quits. Just like I always do it does not matter who I play I just want to play , and that hurts me in a few ways for future action, with me playing Mike and winning now all games matched up were with that info which is not always the most accurate of resources, for example Mike plays all these guys all time where he is very comfortable in his game around them so he can give them more weight than someone like me who donít know if the locals are been truthful about their speed, after being there for those few day I feel like Mike and everyone was being totally truthful about their speeds but at the time and from being around pool all my life it is very hard to give that much credit to the truthful theory.

Friday is here, got there early enough to get into it with Tom Wirth, I had list of people I wanted to play before him but when you get to play him for $20 a game knowing that it would only be a couple of hours before the tournament starts so you canít lose that much, I jumped at the chance to play, plus it was a Diamond table to practice on before tournament. I was able to be up 1 game when we had to quit, but I knew that was not his top game I was getting, but I still loved and learned a lot in a short time, told him to keep the 20. After we finished our 2 rounds for the night I was looking to get into it but was not able to find a game until the later hours when none other than Ike Runnels walks in looking to play, and by this point I was not backing down from anyone, so I tell him the right game is 11/7, even though I really need a little more, but thatís how I match up, and people always wonder why Iím broke. He donít want to even give me that, tells me how he plays Mike Eck using that as his benchmark to negotiate, well I said I played mike $20 a game even and I would do that with him, he said he wanted to bet a little more so we did not play, well after a couple of hours of him sitting on the rail and me needling him about our game he took me up on my even for 20 game, and it was on, I lay down a perfect break and he really donít have anything to shoot at after about 5 min of looking over the shot, he back banks a ball into the stack with the last ball rolling lucking into his pocket, it hit more than 3 balls before it went to his hole, then he preceded to run 8 and out, next game we had about 4 chances at the table before he made a dead 3 ball combo that I left him, then he runs out, he made $40 faster than anyone I ever met, they even said donít worry about the pool time. It was great to play him but I should say that I was VERY disappointed that he did not try harder to gamble with me, I play Cliff 10/6, and I know Ike can get there with him so was 11/7 even the game I was supposed to ask for, I think not. At this point after all that I wanted to get some rest because I thought I had a chance in tournament the next day.

Saturday the day the wheels fell off the bus. I get knocked out of tournament, and no tables to get in action on for me.

Sunday I get there early and me and Mike Eck play our 3rd and final session which when he asked me to bet $40, think a said $30, not sure now days started running together at this point, but I do know he played better and I play worst with him winning 5 straight before we had to quit for tournament matches, thank goodness because he would have got his travel expenses paid for(he he) if we would have kept playing. Good shooting Mike I knew you played better than you showed me in the 1st 2 sessions, you donít become one of the top 5 one pocket players in a big city like Chicago without being able to get down like James Brown. Hell, Iím not even in the top 5 in my little old state down here in Mississippi. Well for the better part of our final day I spent it watching some great onehole, from the tournament to Mr. Steve taking any all Col. Billeís money he won from anyone else all weekend. I did play Chris Chincy_Kid a little bit on a gold crown where again the game takes on a whole new meaning for me on big pocket gold crowns where instead of using it to my advantage and running more balls I always feel like Iím going to scratch on every shot, I had fun but not really only because of the table, Chris is a cool dude, wish we were closer so we could practice more. I know this is a run-on story but I only have one more action report then it is back to Mississippi for me and my road partner Col. Bille. I was really feeling like I did not get me enough gamble for the trip so I was primed up to go off, and Neil Jacob was begging to be the one that takes me off, I most always need someone to tell me and, to also bet with or on me before I really feel like i can get there, and the locals were all telling me they thought I could beat this guy playing one hole, there was one guy that even approached me and offered to go in with me against him, well that is all it took for me to go from a head set for a few hundred to $100 a game, and in my typical fashion I started out very bad getting down 3,and him slinging banks in like it was a big pocket gold crown, when yes I started playing one pocket and was on a comeback winning 2 and racking to break when the desk guy says last game, boy I was mad but I still gave it all I had and it was a good game by both hopefully exciting for the people that was watching both ours and the finals of the tournament, but I came up short and payed off, the bad thing is we watched the finals for about another hour or so, no telling what would have happened, Iím telling myself that he would have lost 1 game by then, ď a boy can dreamĒÖ..

Even though I used a lot of them, words canít explain the joy and happiness that I had on this lifelong dream trip I took. Thanks again to Col. Bille for everything, and to all the members that I met, played, and talked to. Donít take this the wrong way but yall all got action, because thatís what I like to do. Please forgive all grammar mistakes.
Great story, sounds like you had a blast! See you in the next members tourney.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:41 AM
Verified Member

one hole nut abides....

(as for his road partner, he's got action in dcc......)