Legends of 1p philadelphia '91

Eengat

Verified Member
Watching this ervolino vs sigel
Notice the pockets are or seem to be huge
And a Hennigan was mentioned
Is that cornflakes, was he around already back then?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I went to one or two of those tournaments back then and Hennigan AKA 'Cornflakes' was definitely around and getting in big games at that time -- but it seemed like shortly afterwards he turned his attention mainly to poker. I think that made him one of the earliest pool player defections to poker... of his generation anyway.

Just from the New England area two pretty good players also followed that path, but more recently -- Tony Roburto, and Tony Pirone

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I went to one or two of those tournaments back then and Hennigan AKA 'Cornflakes' was definitely around and getting in big games at that time -- but it seemed like shortly afterwards he turned his attention mainly to poker. I think that made him one of the earliest pool player defections to poker... of his generation anyway.

Just from the New England area two pretty good players also followed that path, but more recently -- Tony Roburto, and Tony Pirone

Tony Pirone has lived in California for quite a few years. He quit poker and concentrates on Fantasy Sports now.

When he was still playing poker and the government shut down online gambling, he would spend half the year in Canada, Costa Rica or someplace else he could play online poker. I have known him several years and he never played 'live poker', since I met him, only online and very successful at it.

Very nice guy and still played some one pocket around the East Bay where he lived. I have not seen him in a while or heard of him playing anyone, so I don't know if he is still around.

He has a blog and you can check him out, just google Tony Pirone. He mentions on his blog he would rather play pool, but can't support his family that way. Very interesting and explains his transition from poker to betting fantasy sports.

Last edited:

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Thats a.....

Thats a.....

...classic.Theres Varner vs Miz on 2 DVD's from it.Varner makes some unusual banks go......as Freddie would say....

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I wonder if the commentator's word's from 24 years ago in the Ervolino/Sigel match would be more truthful than anything they wrote or said in the last 10 years? I would think so as they probably weren't worried about repercussions back in 1991 as this site wasn't around yet.

It's very interesting the things some of the commentators said during that match.

RBL

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
I wonder if the commentator's word's from 24 years ago in the Ervolino/Sigel match would be more truthful than anything they wrote or said in the last 10 years? I would think so as they probably weren't worried about repercussions back in 1991 as this site wasn't around yet.

It's very interesting the things some of the commentators said during that match.

RBL

Who commentated that match, Dennis?

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

RBL

Who commentated that match, Dennis?
If I'm remembering correctly it was Grady & Buddy starting off the match. Cornbread came into booth in game 3 or at the beginning of game 3. All 3 co-commentated for 5 games until Freddy Bentivegna joined them in game 8. For a few minutes all four were in booth co-commentating until Grady left to play a match (I could be wrong about that though). Grady did introduce Freddy at the beginning of game 8 though and I never heard Grady speak again.

They discussed many interesting things during this match including Allen Hopkins, Ronnie Allen, Artie Bodendorfer and mainly of interest to me, the reasons AB never played RA. Of course, not knowing in 1991 that websites like this one would be up & running maybe some comments were made that weren't quite exact. Maybe not, maybe they were more truthful and accurate because nothing hung over anyone's head for saying what they felt & saw with their own eyes.

Anybody who loves One-Pocket needs to own this match. It's a 9 game classic anyway and with the 4 guys who share commentating duties & stories it's legendary as far as I'm concerned.

http://www.1vshop.com/Accu-Stats/st...&PNAME=Johnny+Ervolino++vs.+Mike+Sigel*+(DVD)

Dennis

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
If I'm remembering correctly it was Grady & Buddy starting off the match. Cornbread came into booth in game 3 or at the beginning of game 3. All 3 co-commentated for 5 games until Freddy Bentivegna joined them in game 8. For a few minutes all four were in booth co-commentating until Grady left to play a match (I could be wrong about that though). Grady did introduce Freddy at the beginning of game 8 though and I never heard Grady speak again.

They discussed many interesting things during this match including Allen Hopkins, Ronnie Allen, Artie Bodendorfer and mainly of interest to me, the reasons AB never played RA. Of course, not knowing in 1991 that websites like this one would be up & running maybe some comments were made that weren't quite exact. Maybe not, maybe they were more truthful and accurate because nothing hung over anyone's head for saying what they felt & saw with their own eyes.

Anybody who loves One-Pocket needs to own this match. It's a 9 game classic anyway and with the 4 guys who share commentating duties & stories it's legendary as far as I'm concerned.

http://www.1vshop.com/Accu-Stats/st...&PNAME=Johnny+Ervolino++vs.+Mike+Sigel*+(DVD)

Dennis

Thanks for the recommendation, Dennis. I will pick it up. Sounds like you get into commentary and classic AS matches about like me.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

Dennis

Wow!

I can't remember what I had for breakfast.

Now that you mention it, I remember hearing that commentary, but couldn't have told you that the match was Ervolino-Sigel.

REALLY enjoyable.

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Ya,I'm......

Ya,I'm......

.......watching that match[Siegal/Ervolino] now and Red comes on and its a hoot alright.I think its 3-2 Ervolino and I cant wait for Freddie.......they ocassionally pull out the old days which you can't beat anywhere of course.Oh oh...got to go......cheers,James