2018 One Pocket points leaders

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Thanks Joe but I have a question.

If Justin Hall got 17,000 points for Buffallos win, why does Tony only get 3200 points for his west coast win? Is it one point for every dollar won?

Joe's way is simplest, but no objective criteria could be as accurate as we'd like unless the guidelines got REAL complicated. Who has time for that?

Dollars have to weigh heavily, but so does the competition. Also 5-5 races have to count more than 3-3 or 3-2. When it comes to a tournament as big as the Derby, strength of field needs to be its average, not just how many strong players are there.

Buffalo's needs heavier weighting than any of the others -- a lot heavier than most IMO: Large entry fee; every match a challenge; races 5-5. I'd say Scotty Townsend is next: $1000 entry, tough field, race 4-4.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Joe's way is simplest, but no objective criteria could be as accurate as we'd like unless the guidelines got REAL complicated. Who has time for that?

Dollars have to weigh heavily, but so does the competition. Also 5-5 races have to count more than 3-3 or 3-2. When it comes to a tournament as big as the Derby, strength of field needs to be its average, not just how many strong players are there.

Buffalo's needs heavier weighting than any of the others -- a lot heavier than most IMO: Large entry fee; every match a challenge; races 5-5. I'd say Scotty Townsend is next: $1000 entry, tough field, race 4-4.
This year, this is it and I am thankful Joe took the ball and ran with it to make this happen!!

Now that we have a base thanks to Joe's records this year, going forward we could factor in a "strength of field" parameter based on how many of the top 16 players are represented in a tournanent field. I picked the number 16 to correspond with common tournament entry multipliers -- it's kind of arbitrary and maybe 10 or 20 would be as good or better :D DCC uses sheer number of entries in each division for their all-around points, but I believe the quality of the field might be more accurate than sheer numbers. Of course, DCC has both quality and numbers -- but no calcutta.

PS I was wondering if Joe was including calcutta or not. I bet I have asked before but of course I have forgotten lol. I would be inclined not to include calcutta $$, only because some events don't have one -- not any fault to the players that cash, but more likely because of local laws or perception of laws or... just because they don't have the calcutta tradition going at that particular tournament for whatever reason.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
This is one of the next things on our list to add to the website! It's a great idea and even if we are still fine tuning it, I think its awesome to be able to track and see who the top players are and how they are doing in a specific year, thanks again Joe for your work on this!

I think this was mentioned somewhere before but what is the criteria for an event to qualify? If you take your main events in a year (DCC, US Open, Buffalos, Scotty Townsend, etc...) and pick events that are almost always going to happen every year around the same time thats a great start!

Obviously you couldn't really do invitationals because then it would eliminate potential competitors from playing and earning points. Then again, if it's 16 players and invites are the top 16, I suppose that should qualify, I don't know, thoughts? :)

BRLongArm

Verified Member
This is one of the next things on our list to add to the website! It's a great idea and even if we are still fine tuning it, I think its awesome to be able to track and see who the top players are and how they are doing in a specific year, thanks again Joe for your work on this!

I think this was mentioned somewhere before but what is the criteria for an event to qualify? If you take your main events in a year (DCC, US Open, Buffalos, Scotty Townsend, etc...) and pick events that are almost always going to happen every year around the same time thats a great start!

Obviously you couldn't really do invitationals because then it would eliminate potential competitors from playing and earning points. Then again, if it's 16 players and invites are the top 16, I suppose that should qualify, I don't know, thoughts? :)

Tournaments that I have included:
DCC
Scotty Townsend
US Open
Big Tyme Classic
Buffalos
Big Dog Classic
West Coast Challenge

I chose these because they are annual events that most of the top players compete in. I did not include Freezers, as this is the first year and I thought we'd seen how the attendance is before factoring it in. But these one pocket events are basically the top one pocket events in America. And yes, we went one point per tournament dollar won, and did not count the calcutta.

Last edited:

BRLongArm

Verified Member

16 man fields are not invitational. They are first 16 to pay. Just a limited field, not invitational. The entry fee is usually the bar to amateurs competing.

onepocketchump

Verified Member
1. Bustamante 18800
2. Pagulayan 13000
3. Chohan 7200
4. Bergman 6000
4. Van Boening 6000
6. Kiamco 3400
7. Dalton 3200
8. Alcano 3000
9. Deluna 2400
10. Orcollo 2190
11. Jones 2000
11. Dominguez 2000
11. Woodward 2000
14. Thorpe 1700
14. Hall 1700
16. Gomez 1200
16. Roberts 1200
16 Compton 1200

Alcano is in 8th place and as of about 8 months ago he had never played one pocket. He told me in Kansas city that he just started learning to play one pocket two weeks prior. He won that Midwest Tour 1p event I think, the first one pocket tournament he played in.

And not sure about Oscar but he can't stand one pocket as far I know and barely plays/practices it.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Alcano is in 8th place and as of about 8 months ago he had never played one pocket. He told me in Kansas city that he just started learning to play one pocket two weeks prior. He won that Midwest Tour 1p event I think, the first one pocket tournament he played in.

And not sure about Oscar but he can't stand one pocket as far I know and barely plays/practices it.

Yes, like has been talked about in the Fargo thread, because One Pocket is another pool game, and some of these guys can flat out play great pool, they can steal a high finish in a One Pocket tournament, even though they "can't spell One Pocket" :D

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA

I played Alcano in a one pocket tournament at Hard Times 5/6 years ago. He could not move much but ran the balls pretty sporty.

Oscar will gamble at one pocket if the game is right and has won the Markulis Memorial one pocket division at least once. He played some for 1k a game with Joey Barnes from Texas at Hard Times, Bellflower last year and Joey can play.

You know you need to take a players word with a grain of salt when they say anything about playing.:D

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans

Hall went from 14 to 4th for because of one great tournament showing. That’s just bogus:sorry I will add though that Hall is a great player and is capable of winning any tournament.

I was wondering about strength of field and how Big Dog compared to Buffalo’s and California’s West Coast swing.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Was trying to work on this page some more this morning and was wondering if there are any other events for 2018 after west coast swing? Did we miss any or are any others coming up in this calendar year?

Thanks again!

PS - Good point on the strength of field factor which should be implemented for 2019 numbers. Hopefully the page on the website, once done, will help with all that, thanks again Joe!

PSS - also, if you are taking into consideration the strength of the field, that may different for scotty townsend event in 2018 than it may be in 2019 right? In other words, the event itself may not have the "toughness multiplier" factored in if all the champs dont show up for it next year as they did this year. The reason I bring this up is if we say ok Buffalos is a 2x multiplier so their dollars won are worth double than an event who has a 1x multiplier. Does it make sense to always have Buffalos stay a 2x every year no matter who shows up or will it have to be based on the field each time where you can't assign a multiplier until all entries are finalized?

Last edited:

BRLongArm

Verified Member
None of the other one pocket events have become established enough to rely upon. Maybe that will change, especially with Freezer's event.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Thanks Joe!

Also for you or anyone who wants to chime in, based on the current events, how would you rank them as far as "strength of field" would be concerned whether that be based on the quality of players that show up and/or a tourney like DCC where there are top players PLUS so many rounds to get through to snap it off.

Off the top of my head, here is what I thought but I really don't know. DO you think these are good or what would you change?

DCC - 2x
ScottyTownsend - 1.6x
Us Open - 1.2x
Big Tyme - 1x
Buffalo's - 1.8x
Big Dog - 1.6x
WCS - 1.4x

Meaning whatever players cashed in those tourneys, you multiply their winnings x that number to get their point value for that event.

They don't necessarily have to stay between 1 and 2 but I figured if these were the events we were using, one event should not be more than 2x worth another should it?

in any case, looking for feedback, let me know!

Thanks again ~