Efren Reyes vs. Gary Spaeth 1999 D.C.C.#2

John Brumback

Verified Member
I'm taking my first ever intentional foul here:heh.The score warrents it in this situation for sure.Man your good! Bet a drink you've been savin this.You ole dog you:p John B.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
no intentional for me.

no intentional for me.

I'm taking my first ever intentional foul here:heh.The score warrents it in this situation for sure.Man your good! Bet a drink you've been savin this.You ole dog you:p John B.
I thought you don't take intentional scratches. Well I wouldn't take one here. Look how the balls are positioned. As long as you don't bother with the spotted balls an intentional wouldn't be a bad choice. Kick to the side rail to come deep off the side rail and then toward the 3 balls near the opposite corner. The 2-7 or 9 ball. Reyes is such a good kicker that he's a favorite to do well with this shot. I'd be surprised to see him pass it up.

That ending position with the cue ball wouldn't be bad if he wasn't corner hooked.

Billy I.

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
Too easy.. :rolleyes: Kick off the nipple and send the CB slowly down to the 2. If you bump it, excellent. If you don't touch anything, you've still left nothing(or an awkward 9 in the side?). Efren loves them nipples, too. :D

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Say what?

Say what?

Thats what I would do too, even tho Efren is a favorite to kick to the long rail near the corner and snuggle, probably without scratching, on that two ball cub on the foot rail. As it stands the balls are all jammed up and in a poor position for you to run a few and get back into the game. The advantage of your scratch being, even if Efren executes it perfectly, he will have left you in a position to open up that cub and send the cueball off of them and back to the end rail with the balls better positioned for you to run a few.

It is also humanly possible that Efren might scratch attempting a slow rolling kick. Possible.

Beard

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

Dear "wet bale of hay" Breath,

Nope, I haven't been saving it at all. I just remembered it and thought it was timely:). I didn't think much of it when I first saw it but the last 24 hrs. have given me pause.

Dennis

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Dear "wet bale of hay" Breath,

Nope, I haven't been saving it at all. I just remembered it and thought it was timely:). I didn't think much of it when I first saw it but the last 24 hrs. have given me pause.

Dennis
After reading this, I guess Reyes did take an intentional. You could of won a bet from me that he wouldn't of. I still like kicking.:eek:

Dr. Bill

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
After reading this, I guess Reyes did take an intentional. You could of won a bet from me that he wouldn't of. I still like kicking.:eek:

Dr. Bill

You can never ascertain anything from any picture or any words (concerning a layout) I write. I know what everyone is thinking at all times and I keep them off-balance:p

Back to the drawing board:eek:

RBL

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
You can never ascertain anything from any picture or any words (concerning a layout) I write. I know what everyone is thinking at all times and I keep them off-balance:p

Back to the drawing board:eek:

RBL
Are you saying that Freddie is wrong again? If so he's in good company with John.

How can one expect a Beard and a fisherman to match wits with a magician and a doctor?:lol

Dr. Bill

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Are you saying that Freddie is wrong again? If so he's in good company with John.

How can one expect a Beard and a fisherman to match wits with a magician and a doctor?:lol

Dr. Bill

I will definitely kick like you suggested Billy

John Brumback

Verified Member
I thought you don't take intentional scratches. Well I wouldn't take one here. Look how the balls are positioned. As long as you don't bother with the spotted balls an intentional wouldn't be a bad choice. Kick to the side rail to come deep off the side rail and then toward the 3 balls near the opposite corner. The 2-7 or 9 ball. Reyes is such a good kicker that he's a favorite to do well with this shot. I'd be surprised to see him pass it up.

That ending position with the cue ball wouldn't be bad if he wasn't corner hooked.

Billy I.

Billy i think your right most of the time except here.He's up 3 to nothing in the case game.I wouldn't even waste time looking around here.You for sure don't want to scratch.Take a foul,imo.:sorry John B.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Look who made an appearance, and he sided against Freddie again.:lol Here we go.

Dr. Bill

Billy im noticing a pattern. You ALWAYS choose the right shot. There are times when at first i disagree with you but after you explain the reason you chose your shot i see the light. It makes me realize just how much i outran the NUTS against you. In a way when you display your vast knowledge you have attained over the years its a knock on you.
P.S. You would definitely be my coach if my life depended on it.... :D

John Brumback

Verified Member
Thats what I would do too, even tho Efren is a favorite to kick to the long rail near the corner and snuggle, probably without scratching, on that two ball cub on the foot rail. As it stands the balls are all jammed up and in a poor position for you to run a few and get back into the game. The advantage of your scratch being, even if Efren executes it perfectly, he will have left you in a position to open up that cub and send the cueball off of them and back to the end rail with the balls better positioned for you to run a few.

It is also humanly possible that Efren might scratch attempting a slow rolling kick. Possible.

Beard

What's that sayin?Great minds..Me too.The score here is just to strong to mess around like that.And like you said it will or could get worse after the kick down there.I like forcing the situation here and making my opp do something that he can't help but to give me something better than I just had.Besides,that kick aint buying you much here.John B.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Billy im noticing a pattern. You ALWAYS choose the right shot. There are times when at first i disagree with you but after you explain the reason you chose your shot i see the light. It makes me realize just how much i outran the NUTS against you. In a way when you display your vast knowledge you have attained over the years its a knock on you.
P.S. You would definitely be my coach if my life depended on it.... :D

Thanks for the compliment, but I sense a bit of sarcasm in your post. Too bad The Ghost isn't near by, if he was he surely would accuse you of flattering me for self serving reasons.;) But I really think that there is a tiny bit of sincerity in your post. Like...kidding on the square... if you know what I mean.:lol

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
What's that sayin?Great minds..Me too.The score here is just to strong to mess around like that.And like you said it will or could get worse after the kick down there. It has to get worse, there's nothing there to begin with. But I believe that I can handle it if it gets worse.I like forcing the situation here and making my opp do something that he can't help but to give me something better than I just had. You have to get something better than you just had, unless he corner hooks you again.:lolBesides,that kick aint buying you much here. But what you are buying is a loss of a ball by not kicking.John B.

John your reputation as a champion player precedes you, and you are an extremely smart player, so allow me to expound on my thoughts about this situation.

First, I like kicking here because my name is Reyes, the best kicker in the world. I'm not saying that the kick is right for everyone, it's not. But if you kick well, I believe it's the right shot. Plus you're not suffering any immediate penalty if you miss your kick, other than the ball you lose from fouling. A good kicker is going to kick short of the lower corner pocket and go into the balls from that angle, and be successful 2 out of three times, at least. And from the ending position I don't make Spaeth too much of a favorite to get the next ball, but he is a favorite but not as big of a favorite to over come the ball that Reyes saved by kicking. (if I explained myself right) ALLOW ME Would you feel that Spaeth would be a ball favorite over Reyes if they started from the position where Reyes wants to kick too? If not than the kick (by Reyes) isn't that bad of a shot. Don't get me wrong, I don't think by kicking (even from a good kicker) that your gaining a whole lot, but if you're a good kicker I feel it's worth the gamble. But I do agree that if your not a good kicker you shouldn't attempt kicking from this position.

Dr. Bill

John Brumback

Verified Member
John your reputation as a champion player precedes you, and you are an extremely smart player, so allow me to expound on my thoughts about this situation.

First, I like kicking here because my name is Reyes, the best kicker in the world. I'm not saying that the kick is right for everyone, it's not. But if you kick well, I believe it's the right shot. Plus you're not suffering any immediate penalty if you miss your kick, other than the ball you lose from fouling. A good kicker is going to kick short of the lower corner pocket and go into the balls from that angle, and be successful 2 out of three times, at least. And from the ending position I don't make Spaeth too much of a favorite to get the next ball, but he is a favorite but not as big of a favorite to over come the ball that Reyes saved by kicking. (if I explained myself right) ALLOW ME Would you feel that Spaeth would be a ball favorite over Reyes if they started from the position where Reyes wants to kick too? If not than the kick (by Reyes) isn't that bad of a shot. Don't get me wrong, I don't think by kicking (even from a good kicker) that your gaining a whole lot, but if you're a good kicker I feel it's worth the gamble. But I do agree that if your not a good kicker you shouldn't attempt kicking from this position.

Dr. Bill

DR. Bill.
I went and looked that over real good and I see your point very clear.I was to quick about giving my thoughts on this one:sorry.(thought ole cowboy was suckin me in)(I was the sucker again:mad:)I really don't think I would have taken my first intentional foul.I probaly would have kicked the same shot now that I looked at it better.I have to say you covinced me to change my mind.I appreciate your thoughts,and smarts,I do know your the smartest pool player that I know of by a pretty good margin too.Thanks for going to all the trouble you do with all that good hard thinking.Your friend,John B.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

Dr. Bill
My bad, there's one thing that I didn't address and in all fairness it should be brought up. By not kicking and just touching the cue ball you now become the favorite to get the next ball. This was John's thoughts as well as the Beards, and it sorta changes things to my perspective, by looking at the whole picture.:eek: But the kick by a good kicker isn't all that bad, and could work out. If you're a good kicker it's a close call, if your not a good kicker, you would be better served by pushing.

My grandfather once told me that two heads are better than one, even if one's a cabbage head. Now with me, Brumback, and the Beard we have three heads, one being a cabbage head. And that's even better.;)

Dr. Bill

onepockethacker

Verified Member
My bad, there's one thing that I didn't address and in all fairness it should be brought up. By not kicking and just touching the cue ball you now become the favorite to get the next ball. This was John's thoughts as well as the Beards, and it sorta changes things to my perspective, by looking at the whole picture.:eek: But the kick by a good kicker isn't all that bad, and could work out. If you're a good kicker it's a close call, if your not a good kicker, you would be better served by pushing.

My grandfather once told me that two heads are better than one, even if one's a cabbage head. Now with me, Brumback, and the Beard we have three heads, one being a cabbage head. And that's even better.;)

Dr. Bill

What hapens if you touch the cueball for an intentional and your opponent does the same thing back?

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
DR. Bill.
I went and looked that over real good and I see your point very clear.I was to quick about giving my thoughts on this one:sorry.(thought ole cowboy was suckin me in)(I was the sucker again:mad:)I really don't think I would have taken my first intentional foul.I probaly would have kicked the same shot now that I looked at it better.I have to say you covinced me to change my mind.I appreciate your thoughts,and smarts,I do know your the smartest pool player that I know of by a pretty good margin too.Thanks for going to all the trouble you do with all that good hard thinking.Your friend,John B.
You were posting as I was typing, look at the above post.:eek: I really feel, for a good kicker it's a close call, and there is a lot to be said about forcing your opponent to have to perform, as you would do by pushing.:)
But thanks for trying to see things from a different perspective. It's players like yourself that have an open mind to things that promotes growth. It's not a surprise why you play as great as you do, understanding that change isn't always a bad thing. You're an asset to this site, in many ways. Champ.

Dr. Bill