90 / 10 blues

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
That was the best I could think of for a title but I wanted to see if any of you out there have gone through the same thing. I was able to get out and play a few real good sessions this weekend with someone I play even and for more than I usually play for, so I was for sure focused and trying to get the money.

I played so good. Came up with some real good shots, trapped him up, always got to the shot first, speed was great, banking good and even as a non ball runner, I ran a couple of 6's. So what's wrong with that, right?

Thing is, I did those things...90% of the time. The remaining 10% of the time where I made a bad shot or missed or made the wrong move or got unlucky, scratched, etc. Somehow those erased the 90% of the time I played good. Because although I feel I played the game as well as I possibly can at my skill level, I still lost the sessions when I had them in my grasp.

I would play so good and get down to needing 1 and he needs 3 and then I scratch and lose the game. So I guess I just need to make those errors at less critical times or less often? Because the way I see it, I am an amateur and I can't play my best all the time, I am not consistent like the pros are. So, if I am playing my best 90% of the time in a match, that seems hard to top. Yet if I lose by doing so, that can get quite discouraging...

Frustrated I gave away the cheese but happy that I feel overall I am playing better my last few times out.

Do you guys ever experience that?

poolisboring

Verified Member
From
toledo
yea i think most if not all of us have been there....... there are so many factors to consider in one pocket and that makes it such a interesting event--risk vs reward, your tolerance for pain, how youre playing, conditions...... its fascinating...... compare that to 8 ball or 9 ball, where,sure, you have options but they are more cut and dried.......

Tylerbob

Verified Member
From
Chandler Texas
I am sure there are more qualified people than me to offer comment, but since none have yet, I will offer my two cents. When I lose sessions I think I should have won, I spend some time looking for a common theme. At various times I have experienced the following:

Start strong but fade after 3 or 4 hours. Sometimes this is lack of focus. Other times it is just plain fatigue. I am 70 years old, and my mind thinks I can hold up for 8-10 hours. When I am smart I set a designated end time. I hate to just walk off a winner without notice to my opponent. Sometimes that results in too long a session and I give back the cash.

Sometimes it is just pressure, especially if the bet is higher than my normal comfort zone. My mind starts spending the cash if I continue to win. Sometimes it is added pressure based on who is sweating the match or who my opponent is.

From what you described, there may be a weakness in your end game. There is in mine. I just get tired of bunting and send off a flier. NH Steve posted links to some end game situations that I think will help me.

That's at least 2 cents worth. Main point, don't feel like the only one. Happens to all of us.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
That was the best I could think of for a title but I wanted to see if any of you out there have gone through the same thing. I was able to get out and play a few real good sessions this weekend with someone I play even and for more than I usually play for, so I was for sure focused and trying to get the money.

I played so good. Came up with some real good shots, trapped him up, always got to the shot first, speed was great, banking good and even as a non ball runner, I ran a couple of 6's. So what's wrong with that, right?

Thing is, I did those things...90% of the time. The remaining 10% of the time where I made a bad shot or missed or made the wrong move or got unlucky, scratched, etc. Somehow those erased the 90% of the time I played good. Because although I feel I played the game as well as I possibly can at my skill level, I still lost the sessions when I had them in my grasp.

I would play so good and get down to needing 1 and he needs 3 and then I scratch and lose the game. So I guess I just need to make those errors at less critical times or less often? Because the way I see it, I am an amateur and I can't play my best all the time, I am not consistent like the pros are. So, if I am playing my best 90% of the time in a match, that seems hard to top. Yet if I lose by doing so, that can get quite discouraging...

Frustrated I gave away the cheese but happy that I feel overall I am playing better my last few times out.

Happens to me most of the time except when I played you. Then it was 60/40:)

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Thing is, I did those things...90% of the time. The remaining 10% of the time where I made a bad shot or missed or made the wrong move or got unlucky, scratched, etc. Somehow those erased the 90% of the time I played good.

You've just described my game... on my good days. :frus

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ

a few years ago when i was playing everyday there were many times that i would come away feeling the 90/10 blues. i decided to bring a note pad and write down the shots/ situations that caused me to lose games. i kept this up for a few weeks and it became clear that i would make the same kind of errors day in and day out. from there i just concentrated on those things both while playing and while practicing. after a while when i got into certain game situations a red flag would go off and i would recognize that these were situations that had cost me in the past and i was then prepared to executed them properly. it made a difference for me.
i guess what I'm saying is if you know where your weaknesses are you can prepare for them in the future. keith

Billy Jackets

Verified Member

You are at a plateau, when you stop missing the shot,scratching or fouling in these scenarios, you will move up the skill ladder a couple of rungs.
The hard part is over, you have been shooting better shots ,moving better and thinking better , to get yourself into these situations, now you just have to take care of the minute details!

stedyfred

Verified Member
I hope that u r always playing the score kid, including taking balls out of play when necessary.

youngstown

Verified Member
90 / 10 blues

The better your opponent is the smaller that room for error sure gets! Keep playing live opponents and making me jealous. Most of my 1p games are against my 9 year old, lol, so that should tell you how easy i am to beat, eh?

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
a few years ago when i was playing everyday there were many times that i would come away feeling the 90/10 blues. i decided to bring a note pad and write down the shots/ situations that caused me to lose games. i kept this up for a few weeks and it became clear that i would make the same kind of errors day in and day out. from there i just concentrated on those things both while playing and while practicing. after a while when i got into certain game situations a red flag would go off and i would recognize that these were situations that had cost me in the past and i was then prepared to executed them properly. it made a difference for me.
i guess what I'm saying is if you know where your weaknesses are you can prepare for them in the future. keith

great advice keith

one pocket guy

Verified Member
From
Arkansas (near Memphis Tn)
High Confidience

High Confidience

Not over confident.
I believe if you could replay the session on video you would find you were playing so good you went outside your Limitations. I am my worst enemy when I'm playing great. I forget my on moto and shoot the wrong shot because I just felt I was ON. I make it and scratch or miss and the balls punish me with a easy out for my opponent.
This has happened to me many times. I feel like when I do win big is when I'm worrying and thinking al the time.

Mans got to know his Limitations!

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Thanks for the replies all!

I really think what it boils down to (if I were to answer my own question here) is consistency. Since I don't get to play that often, it's easy to lose focus for even one shot that could cause the whole game to turn around. There aren't many times when I get to the table that I am perplexed with what to do. In fact, the shots come to me pretty quickly and if anything, maybe I need to slow down and look at 2 or 3 different options before deciding on which one is best. Point is, I don't feel like the knowledge part or the moving part or even executing the moving parts are a problem with my current game.

Most of the time, the story is the same with my game no matter who i play. I move pretty good and feel my knowledge is pretty good but I am not a very good ball maker or ball runner. So typically I lose because I get to the shot first but don't capitalize on their mistakes like I should.

However this last match I was moving well AND making balls well. Balls I don't normally shot, I was making them and getting position or playing a good 2 way, everything was adding up to be my best session of 1p I had played. But the games I lost in the set, all boiled down to 1 bad shot to shot choice.

I want to show you how bad it was the last game and how I would give anything to shoot my last shot again :)

(I will diagram it out and post it here shortly...)

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH

Greta advice Keith, I may start doing that...I love it!