Killer attitude

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Refer to the Killer Instinct thread

How important is it to have a killer attitude?
How would you rate the top 10 one pocket players in the world in terms of having a "killer attitude" 1 to 10, 10 being the highest.

Reyes (7)
Frost (8)
Pagulayan (8)
Chohan (6)
Orcullo (9)
J. Hall (8)
D. Smith (8)
VanBoening (9)
J. Jones (10)
S.Daulton (9)
forgot Bergman and Roberts, from what I have seen they both have at least a 9

The players that come to mind that have the highest killer attitudes are.

Buddy Hall (10)
Nick Varner (10)
Richie Florence (10)
Jose Parica (10)
Mike Sigel (10)
Jim Rempe (10)
Steve Mizerak (10)
Allen Hopkins (10)
Darren Appleton (10)

I'm sure there are more can you name them? What is your rating?

Jeff Sparks (10):heh

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Joyner 10
Frost 10
Hacker 10
Ghost 10
Richeson 10
Dechaine 10
McMinn 10 (rotation; 8 1P)
Orcullo 10
Ike 10

Bustamante 9
Santos 9
Bergman 9
Owen 9
Martinez 9
Saez 9

Efren ?
Roberts ?
Alex ?
Hall ?

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I've always felt Efrens ability was on a Graph. As the money went UP, his mistakes went down. And when the money got HUGE, he would never lose.

I was looking at a chess board just yesterday and Effie came to mind, and I then counted how many chess pieces were on the board....16. How coincidental, there are also 16 balls on a pool table. Makes me think he looks at a full rack in a similar way.

Artie comes to mind....as a ten as does Cooney, and Cornbread. RA was another as was the Red Raider. Justin Bergman, and seeing him play during his youth at Magoos in the Jr. Nationals, was something....mini efren came to mind. One pocket tho I'll leave that up to you all, as I was a rotation/14.1/8ball player during you alls hey days. I did like Hawiian Brians game also VARNER/period.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Do you mean killer attitude as projected to others, or killer attitude inside? There's a distinct difference. Also, the trait you point out, namely aggression, might serve you well in an all-out offensive game like 9-ball but be less useful in one pocket.

"I'm getting ready to take a TITANIC intentional, bro!"

beatle

Verified Member
i think billy i. and ed kelly had the most of it ive seen. both these guys would play every shot as if their life depended on it. that what i call killer attitude.

joey speath was about the toughest there was for the money although he wasnt the best player out there.

i dont think richie f. had it, maybe in tournaments, but i never watched him there but when he was stuck for the cash he fell apart. i have first hand experience with him. same with the miz. in tournaments he had it but for the cash although he didnt play that high he lost all focus when stuck.

those that play tough match-ups need it to win as the defining line is so close you cant weaken at any point and still win.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Do you mean killer attitude as projected to others, or killer attitude inside? There's a distinct difference. Also, the trait you point out, namely aggression, might serve you well in an all-out offensive game like 9-ball but be less useful in one pocket.

"I'm getting ready to take a TITANIC intentional, bro!"

I read it as "killer instinct".

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
IMO Efren doesn't have so much of a killer instinct as he does a total aversion to losing. He's been blessed with a huge innate talent for cue games-- a true prodigy. He's played so much better than most everyone else to the point where he grew to expect to win. When it looks like he might be in a losing situation, his anger compels him to dig down and play even better. Very few players are able to convert that fury into increased ability to win. It's almost like stories one hears of someone running up to a burning car and ripping the door off-- an inhuman feat.

No one displays that inner burn like Efren when he's facing losing. I think that's why he's been known to very rarely stand for a loss when gambling. He just won't allow himself to be in that situation.

~Doc

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I'm still not certain what we are talking about, exactly.

The way I read it:

Overpowering desire to win in an overpowering manner; hatred of losing; no sympathy for opponent. Ability to grind; never give an inch. It's a personality trait, not a learned behavior and has nothing to do with appearances, talent or skill.

If you HAD to bet on a player who was down 7-0 in a game, or with opponent on the hill for a match against zero, whom would you choose?

I choose Varner, but Daulton, Hall and Parica wouldn't be bad. (I don't know many of the older players, but my impression is that Mosconi might have been a pretty good choice.)

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
The way I read it:

Overpowering desire to win in an overpowering manner; hatred of losing; no sympathy for opponent. Ability to grind; never give an inch. It's a personality trait, not a learned behavior and has nothing to do with appearances, talent or skill.

If you HAD to bet on a player who was down 7-0 in a game, or with opponent on the hill for a match against zero, whom would you choose?

I choose Varner, but Daulton, Hall and Parica wouldn't be bad. (I don't know many of the older players, but my impression is that Mosconi might have been a pretty good choice.)

If that is how we define it, Varner would murder most other players. Just listen to his commentary and you will get an insight into how powerful his "chair game" is.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
In most matches throughout the history of gambling heads-up in any pool game, there comes a time when one player takes over the control of the match, and the player who takes that control, knows it. He just knows he's going to win, that the rolls will all favor him and that his opponent will find a way to dog it! Just ask any player who has been around for awhile, they have experienced what I'm talking about, from both perspectives! Matters not the skill level of the players involved, they can both be champions or both be hacks, what matters is the killer inside!

If you ever run into a player who can take your best, time and time again, and still keep firing back at you with heart and determination, well, it might be best to leave that guy alone in the future and find somebody who will cave in, someone with a lesser killer instinct/attitude.