Why Does Who You Play Affect How You Play?

iusedtoberich

Verified Member
The first open speed player I played was Russell Parsons, about 15 yrs ago. I was a C player. He gave me lots of weight. He was one of the best one hole players in my area. After a few shots and games of playing him, it became crystal clear that no matter what I did, he could get out of it, and no matter what he did, I could not get out of it. I was seeing things I simply had never seen before.

It got to a point that I felt I couldn't leave my cueball absolutely anywhere on the table, because I thought he would make any bank, be it 1, 2, or 3 rails. I was playing scared.

So in my experience with this player, the huge difference in skill made me question everything I was doing, and knowing it was always the wrong thing. I just didn't know what the right defense was against a guy so far above me.

I played other open level one hole players in the years that followed. I wasn't as nervous, but the end result was always a loss.

I know that there is no amount of weight (normal weight, not 15-1) that will allow a C or B player to beat an open level player. I'd bet on the open player all day every day, no matter the weight.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
lll said:
what happen when you make more mistakes against a better player??? you lose.
if you can truely play the table and play the best shot you can execute for each layout that gives you the best chance to win.imho
That's the crux of the matter right there. When an average player plays a good player, the average player soon realizes that every time he makes a mistake, the good player punishes him for it. Therefore, the lesser player then tries to simply just not make any mistakes. He starts thinking about missing balls or safeties rather than making them. The negative feedback comes to control him, and he simply can't get out of that frame of mind.

There are players who have the natural ability to ignore what the other player is doing, and to not be negatively influenced by the better player, but they are rare. Guys have resorted to many methods to overcome the fear: booze, illegal drugs, prescription drugs, mind techniques, prayer, and the like.

One of the best I've seen at mind control techniques is Ralf Souquet. But even he is subject to getting frustrated. Other guys seem to have an overwhelming desire to win, which seems to override their natural fears. Hillbilly, Shannon Daulton, John Brumback, and Efren are good examples of that.

Doc

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
iusedtoberich said:
I know that there is no amount of weight (normal weight, not 15-1) that will allow a C or B player to beat an open level player. I'd bet on the open player all day every day, no matter the weight.

There's some game that makes everyone equal. I've played many great players with large spots. People would say "he cant win like that" The answer is if I don't play my speed I can't win. When you're intimidated by the better player, they can give up a lot of weight and still win.
Rod.:)