One Pocket In Galveston ! - Whos'all Gonna Go ?

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
Shanes girl friend Christina told me about the venue, She works for the Texas Bar Accociation and is really knowlegable about venues, hotels, transportation etc. Thats her job, She said that this location is first class in all ways, for travel, food, accomidations etc. She went on to say that its peobably the best spot they could have picked for what their intended use is.

If the promoters do what they promis and what I now know of the venue we(pool players) are gonna have a dandy of a time. I really hope this does all come together.

I'm going to go far as I can tell now, I dont plan that far in advance, but I dont see any reason not to go. I sure hope it works-the players need it. Look foward to seeing everyone there as well.

best

eric

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
One Pocket Ghost said:
Not sure if everybody here has heard about the HUGE, DCC style multi-tournament that's scheduled for September, in Galveston, Tx....

...The One Pocket division is listed as having a First Place prize of $25,000 !

There's some doubts in the pool world that the tournament will happen, as advertised, but hopefully it will - it will be great for pool, and most importantly...:) - great for One Pocket players.

I expect you Texas guys will attend since it's in your neck of the woods....howsabout everybody else, Dick, John, Doc, Lou, etc.....Are all-y'all gonna get your a$$'$ up from your computers and your 'mistake free wei tables'...:eek:...and head on over to the Texas coast to see and smell some beautiful fresh green Simonis ?....:).....I'm planning on going...if the creek don't rise.

Here's the website >>> http://www.theworldclassic.com

- Ghost

PS, Anybody who wants to stake me in the tournament, send me a pm - and you should probably do it pretty quick, before somebody else gets to me first, if you don't want to miss out on this lucrative opportunity....:cool:.....:D

It's a go.....Greg Sullivan just posted over at az that he got the check from them for renting his tables. Here's what he said....

"Very happy to announce the deposit is in and it's a definite go for Diamond. Hope everyone will support the event. Pool needs it."
Greg

PS, Hey Billy.....You're in Texas...do you know the guys putting this tournament on ?.....any info that you know about it that you can share with us - Pat Fleming engaged you about it, etc. ?

- Ghost

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
One Pocket Ghost said:
It's a go.....Greg Sullivan just posted over at az that he got the check from them for renting his tables. Here's what he said....

"Very happy to announce the deposit is in and it's a definite go for Diamond. Hope everyone will support the event. Pool needs it."
Greg

PS, Hey Billy.....You're in Texas...do you know the guys putting this tournament on ?.....any info that you know about it that you can share with us - Pat Fleming engaged you about it, etc. ?

- Ghost

I am planning on going, but here is something I have been thinking about. They are paying $25,000 for 1st in the one pocket tournament and have said they will pay 25% of the field.

This could make for some small payouts for the rest who cash. I'm not much of a threat to win it, but based on my track record at The Derby (Breaking even with The Ghost) I might get lucky and get in the money.

Any other opinions or additional information on this?

lfigueroa

Verified Member
jrhendy said:
I am planning on going, but here is something I have been thinking about. They are paying $25,000 for 1st in the one pocket tournament and have said they will pay 25% of the field.

This could make for some small payouts for the rest who cash. I'm not much of a threat to win it, but based on my track record at The Derby (Breaking even with The Ghost) I might get lucky and get in the money.

Given the dearth of information on this event, I just don't get a warm fuzzy feeling about it.

Don't get me wrong -- it'd be great to have a big event that time of year. But it just doesn't add up, neither the payouts, nor my personal cost/benefits ratio to go.

Costs aside, my biggest concern would be the potential of a hostage situation. I can't recall where I read it, but someone posted somewhere that the plan was to hold the finals of all the events at the end of the schedule. That, along with the promoter's advertised intent to run several events concurrently on the 48 9-footers (and who knows what commitment they have on hotel occupancy rates) and I'd be worried about long, long, long waits to play matches.

I do hope it all works, but the way they've done things to date does not make me want to go. I ain't that desperate.

Lou Figueroa

SJDinPHX

Suspended
jrhendy said:

Alfie Taylor and I are making plans to attend. We are going to combine it with a visit to his brother Jack (who lives a 9-iron away from Moody Gardens) and our other Texas buddies.

As room rates are not a factor for us, we plan on staying for the whole enchilada. :)

I can certainly see Lou, and others point, regarding expensive rooms and the "Super Sunday" aspect of the tournament.

But I do firmly believe that given the combination of Texas hospitality, and their love of pool and gambling, that there may be as much, or more "side action" and matching up, than was visible,at least to me, at the last DCC.
Barring a hurricane, (no chance of that :eek: ) the weather will sure be better.

I think action hounds like John H., and others nation-wide, will be pleasantly surprised at what should be a great happening regardless of the overall success of the tournament, in its maiden attempt.

Rod, Senor, JoeyA, Doc, Big Truck, Ironman, Billy I., and many other local luminaries, have made it known they will be there for sure.

The guys behind this event appear to be well funded and very sincere in making this a top notch tournament, and I feel that once they get their feet wet, and learn what it takes to make it work for future dates, this could become as big a yearly event as the DCC, at a really great venue.

The people on the Gulf coast have sure had more than their share of weather related crap to deal with, and for someone to step up and put on an event of this magnitude, surely deserve the support of the entire pool community.

I sure hope it is well attended, and is enough of a success for them to make it a yearly happening.

Dick

PS John H....email on the way re; possible accomodations and/or room sharing. (is RA coming ?...OTB right next door)

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
SJDinPHX said:
Rod, Senor, JoeyA, Doc, Big Truck, Ironman, Billy I., and many other local luminaries, have made it known they will be there for sure.
Dick, I'm still in the investigative mode. Now that the deposit has been made, at least we know that the tables will be there.

I'd like to find out more about the scheduling for the 1P. I don't have to worry about being in the finals, but I'd like to make sure I could get in there Thurs. night, and get out Sunday without the possibility of having to forfeit any matches.

I'll also check how far the other hotels are from the venue. $145/night is expensive to me. I could drive, but for a short stay, air travel will be a consideration.

One good thing re time: I doubt that there will be more than 60-80 1P players for this first event.

Anyway, I'd love to go. But I'll need to find out a little more before I shell out the dough.

Doc

SJDinPHX

Suspended
gulfportdoc said:
Dick, I'm still in the investigative mode. Now that the deposit has been made, at least we know that the tables will be there.

I'd like to find out more about the scheduling for the 1P. I don't have to worry about being in the finals, but I'd like to make sure I could get in there Thurs. night, and get out Sunday without the possibility of having to forfeit any matches.

I'll also check how far the other hotels are from the venue. $145/night is expensive to me. I could drive, but for a short stay, air travel will be a consideration.

One good thing re time: I doubt that there will be more than 60-80 1P players for this first event.

Anyway, I'd love to go. But I'll need to find out a little more before I shell out the dough.

Doc

Doc,

I can sure understand your concerns, and I'm sure it is shared by many others. (including me)

Hopefully, the promoters of the event will clear up these nagging details, in time for everybody to make an informed decision.

It is a little aggravating that they have not yet assigned someone from their group, to address these issues on the pool forums. Their website is classy, and well done, but they need to get someone on the ball to fill in the blanks, and answer some of these important details... HINT, HINT !!!

If that is done, I think your guess at the field will be a little low. I would wager now, that they get in excess of 100 players for the 1P. (but I've been wrong before)

Also, I have heard no mention of any Senior Event as a possible mini-tournament. I think this could be a more fruitful draw than some of the other events they have planned. Don't most of the guys in our age bracket (over 55, under 95) have more disposable income, than say, young guys like Cowboy Dennis ? :rolleyes:

I have to wonder if anybody from the World Classic is lurking, or monitoring 1P.org, or AZB, regarding these unexplained issues.

I think it could be a big shot in the arm for them to become more involved on the web sites...don't you ?

Dick <---is going anyway...wants to play the Ghost and Freddy partners 1P, against John H, and I, to at least cover our bar tab. (one week = approximately $2500 for us both.. given youse guys maximum bet, we may need heavy side action ! :eek:

PS. Freddy if you don't want Jasper as a partner, you may pick from the following list of substitutes;
Artie, Billy I., JoeyA, Lou F., RA, Fanatic, or anybody else who has pissed me off lately. (pending Hendy's approval of course.) :cool:
A line has been drawn in the sand...the ball is in Chicago's court.

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Steppin' over that line in the sand

Steppin' over that line in the sand

SJDinPHX said:
Dick <---is going anyway...wants to play the Ghost and Freddy partners 1P, against John H, and I, to at least cover our bar tab. (one week = approximately $2500 for us both.. given youse guys maximum bet, we may need heavy side action !

A line has been drawn in the sand...the ball is in Chicago's court.

I don't need no stinkin' partner...I'll be my own partner against you and John....:eek:....Do I have action ?.....:cool:

:)---Ghost---:)

PS, Rod or senor can be gamekeeper.....:D

SJDinPHX

Suspended
One Pocket Ghost said:
I don't need no stinkin' partner...I'll be my own partner against you and John........Do I have action ?

Sorry, not your option...I have appointed Freddy as captain of the delusional Chicago mis-fits.

Besides, if you played John and I, you would find that unlike John, I have minimum wagers I will NOT deviate from.

This may cause you to; (A) Need more backers than you can find, (B) Throw up, or (C) become uncontrolable when two old duffer's destroy you, and go off the deep end and turn violent. (like shooting us at sundown, high noon, or whatever.)

I cannot be responsible for any of these (almost certain) eventualities. .:cool:

Dick <---thinks you should check further with your team captain before woofing...he is the indisputable expert in that field.:eek:

PS Your increasingly unstable mental condition is causing you to hi-jack your own thread !!!

Last edited:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
One Pocket Ghost said:
I don't need no stinkin' partner...I'll be my own partner against you and John....:eek:....Do I have action ?.....:cool:

Shame on you! You know that being your own partner and shooting every other shot is worth at least 2 balls against two old duffers who have concentration problems and need a drink or ??? to steady their nerves.

You and I could be our own partners and bet twice as much as we did at the Derby. After all, this is in Texas and we don't want to be nitty here. And if you bark at me a little, I might bet more.

The partners game would be more fun, but I'm up for a serious game too. I'll bring enough $$ for both.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Now I'm having fun

Now I'm having fun

Now this is fun.....Just like last November when we had three months of internet woofing at eachother, leading up to the DCC....:D

Dick - You always want to highroll....I've been in the poolrooms for 40 years - I know the old ploy of highrolling someone as a way of avoiding the game that you're scared of....:eek:....:rolleyes:....:D

John - you're faded - I accept your challenge to play for double our DCC bet per game....

And, I'm also up for a funsies/cheap partners game - maybe Rod or senor wants to partner up with me against John and SJD ?.....:)

- The go-off Ghost

SJDinPHX

Suspended
One Pocket Ghost said:
Now this is fun.....Just like last November when we had three months of internet woofing at eachother, leading up to the DCC.

Dick - You always want to highroll....I've been in the poolrooms for 40 years - I know the old ploy of highrolling someone as a way of avoiding the game that you're scared of....:D

John - you're faded - I accept your challenge to play for double our DCC bet per game....

And, I'm also up for a funsies/cheap partners game - maybe Rod or senor wants to partner up with me against John and SJD ?

- The go-off Ghost

Ghosty,

I shudder to think of some of the "ploys" you may have been exposed to while growing up in places like Bensinger's and North Shore.

You'll find, that unlike the conniving, unsavory denizens of those places, I never "high rolled" to avoid action, I just did it to place maximum pressure on "low roller's", looking to parley a toothpick into a lumber yard.

More often than not... it worked. (if THEY weren't scared) :eek:

Dick <--- would not get up out of the electric chair to play cheap. (or to watch "Missouri Breaks") :cool:

(please stop using up all the emoticons, I always have to steal some from you for maximum effect)

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
SJDinPHX said:
Ghosty,

I shudder to think of some of the "ploys" you may have been exposed to while growing up in places like Bensinger's and North Shore.

You'll find, that unlike the conniving denizens of those places, I never "high rolled" to avoid action, I just did it to place maximum pressure on "low roller's",
looking to parley a toothpick, into a lumber yard.

More often than not... it worked. (if THEY weren't scared)

Dick <--- would not get up out of the electric chair to play cheap.

Dick........I KNOW that back then it wasn't a ploy, and you weren't askeered of anybody.....But I'm talking about NOW!.....:cool:

- Ghost

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
One Pocket Ghost said:
Dick........I KNOW that back then it wasn't a ploy, and you weren't askeered of anybody.....But I'm talking about NOW!.....:cool:

- Ghost <--------Admits Dick would have beat up on him back in the day......And, shamelessly trying to take advantage of Dick now that he's an old duffer.....:D

Thats more like friendly woofing. You know my high-rolling days are over, and I would be up for any FAIR game....SEMI-sociable. :eek:

Dick <---does need a partner though, to occasionally capitalize on his awesome trapping repartoire. (high run this year in 1P, still stalled at 3)... However, at straight pool, he has soared into the high teens. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
[QUOTE=One Pocket Ghost

I've been in the poolrooms for 40 years - I know the old ploy of highrolling someone as a way of avoiding the game that you're scared of

Ghosty,

The last time I told someone that I wanted to play 5 ahead for $1000 he went to 5 other guys to get the thou together. They thought and he thought that I was "highrolling as a way to avoid the game that I was afraid of". Thank the lord for players like that.

Cowboy "High Noon, Main Street" Dennis

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
One Pocket Ghost said:
Now this is fun.....Just like last November when we had three months of internet woofing at eachother, leading up to the DCC....:D

Dick - You always want to highroll....I've been in the poolrooms for 40 years - I know the old ploy of highrolling someone as a way of avoiding the game that you're scared of....:eek:....:rolleyes:....:D

And, I'm also up for a funsies/cheap partners game - maybe Rod or senor wants to partner up with me against John and SJD ?.....:)

- The go-off Ghost

OK, we have a game. Now we need one of these guys to step up and be your partner against me & Dick.

Our combined age is around 145 so you will have to pick one of the older fellas to make it fair. I know Dick would prefer Freddie so we can play an "All Chicago" team, but you can have some leeway here. You cannot pick "Chicago Mike". I'm still mad at him for stealing my girlfriend at the Derby.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
SJDick said:
If that is done, I think your guess at the field will be a little low. I would wager now, that they get in excess of 100 players for the 1P. (but I've been wrong before)
You could be right, Dick. There might be 30-50 1P players from eastern Texas alone. But unless the promoters get a lot more specific, I just don't see amateurs from far away making the trip.

Re you and Hendy vs. Ghost and Beard: Freddy has made it pretty clear that he wouldn't play 1P, even if it was against Helen Keller. And Dick won't play banks, so there you have it.

Doc

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
jrhendy said:
Now we need one of these guys to step up and be your partner against me & Dick.

Our combined age is around 145 so you will have to pick one of the older fellas to make it fair.

Can I pick Billy.....:confused:....:eek:

- Go-off Ghost

senor

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:

- The go-off Ghost

Ghost, if I can get a cue and some time to practice, we got action, provided our combined age meets the quota. But, should I choose to not embarrass myself, I'll hold the up money, just don't be alarmed when I disappear for 4 hours...I'll be putting that money to good use on the Moody Gardens Golf Course. :D

SJDinPHX

Suspended
One Pocket Ghost said:
Can I pick Billy.....:confused:....:eek:

- Go-off Ghost

Mr. Go-Off,

I hereby appoint you Captain of the Chicago team, being as Freddy appears to be MIA. (or askeered) ;)

As captain you can pick anyone who (A) has a valid Illinois drivers license, except Mike or Ike... or(B) meets the necessary age requirement.
In fact John and I will graciously spot you 10 years combined partner age. 145 minus 10 = 135.

Meaning, Captain Ghost, sir, if you are looking for a non-Chicagoan as your partner, and you are in your 50's, you may need an octogenarian (like maybe Squirrell ?) to get close to the 135 yr. combined minimum. Whats Billy...62 ?

So that would be a NO ! (unless he promises to shoot all of his WEI table choices, and commentate while he's playing) JK, B.I.

Dick <---knows it's a big state, surely theres someone who plays something beside (ugh) bank pool ? :eek:

PS. Nice try Senor, you and the Ghost might not even break 100. :cool:

Last edited: