15-N-Out One-Pocket Practice

OneRock

Verified Member
From
South Florida
Just curious how you guys would break a 1-pocket rack to give yourselves the best chance to run 15.

Last edited:

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Just curious how you guys would break a 1-pocket rack to give yourselves the best chance to run 15.

Red used the two rail back into the stack break... That is, he broke the balls with a medium speed stroke using low left hand english ( from the right side of the rack, he was a lefty ) splitting the head ball and the second ball, then going to the side rail then foot rail and back into the balls... This generally opened em up twice very nicely and he usually ended up having a beginning shot at a fully open rack...

I just use a soft very low draw stroke, splitting the top two balls and drawing over to the side rail and back out to near the center of the table... This almost always yields an opening shot, but the rack is still clustered...

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I'm trying to remember how the guys at DCC did it, when they had that One Pocket 5-rack challenge. I think they came off the side of the rack somewhere -- maybe between the top two balls like conventional -- but firmer, going two rails and out to the middle of the table.

The best total in 5 racks was done by Gabe Owen, with a 60. There were a few in the 50's by Alex and others, but Gabe's 60 definitely rose above.

One year Corey was betting something (may not have been even money) that he would run all 15. But that did not last long because of a dispute about balls that fell into other pockets. Corey of course needed those balls to spot to continue his run and the bettor claimed that they were down and out, so it would mean no way could Corey get all 15.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
To my eye, both Max and Tom aimed for the 2nd/3rd ball split-- not much firmer than in the regular break. So they were primarily gunning for CB position, not ball spread.

~Doc

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Red used the two rail back into the stack break... That is, he broke the balls with a medium speed stroke using low left hand english ( from the right side of the rack, he was a lefty ) splitting the head ball and the second ball, then going to the side rail then foot rail and back into the balls... This generally opened em up twice very nicely and he usually ended up having a beginning shot at a fully open rack...

I just use a soft very low draw stroke, splitting the top two balls and drawing over to the side rail and back out to near the center of the table... This almost always yields an opening shot, but the rack is still clustered...

Not to argue but I believe Red broke'em between the 2nd and 3rd balls.

P.S. Red was the best I ever saw at this prop. I saw a man lay hime 10/1, no 15, he missed, he made 15, he made 15 again, the man wanted no more.

Last edited:

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Not to argue but I believe Red broke'em between the 2nd and 3rd balls.

P.S. Red was the best I ever saw at this prop. I saw a man lay hime 10/1, no 15, he missed, he made 15, he made 15 again, the man wanted no more.

I believe you are correct... 2nd & 3rd... Long time ago...:). He was sumthin, wasn't he...:cool: