Golf variation to try on a 9 foot table

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I've been trying to come up with some kind of a golf variation that will work on a 9 foot table. Here's what I've come up with. I'm thinking it's a two player or two team game not a multi-handed game.

1. Game starts with Q ball in hand behind the head string and one object ball on the spot
2. The object of the game is to make the object ball in each pocket in order around the table, beginning with the lower right hand corner pocket (as seen from the head string). Both players start out shooting for that same lower right corner pocket. The two pocket would be the lower left corner pocket, and the three pocket would be the left side, continuing around the table to the six pocket which would be the right side pocket. The first player/team to advance all the way around the table and legally pocket the object ball into the 6 pocket wins the game.
3. Whenever the object ball is on the spot you can't shoot it directly in to your next pocket, but you can bank it or kick it. Once it is off the spot then you can shoot it directly into your pocket or you can bank or kick it.
4. Whenever the object ball is pocketed or comes off the table then it goes on the spot.
5. When you pocket the ball in your pocket then you shoot again from where the cue ball lies, and the object goes on the spot (with rule 3 in play).
6. On a scratch or foul your opponent gets ball in hand anywhere on the table and the object ball is played where it lies, or if it was pocketed on the shot then it goes on the spot, with ball in hand anywhere on the table (but the incoming player cannot shoot the ball directly into their pocket (with rule 3 in play).
7. If you pocket the object ball in your opponent's pocket that pocket counts for your opponent whether you scratch or foul or not. There is no penalty for pocketing the object ball in a neutral pocket, but it ends the shooter's inning. The object ball goes on the spot and the incoming player shoots from where the cue ball lies (with rule 3 in play).
8. If you shoot directly into the object ball then either the object ball or the cue ball has to hit the rail like a normal pool safety. But You don't have to hit a rail after contacting the object ball if you hit a rail before you contact the object ball (on a kick shot), however you do have to contact the object ball or it is a foul.
9. If you are corner hooked you have the option to push out or shoot from there. If you elect to push out your opponent can pass it back or accept the position and shoot from there.

That's about all I can come up with.

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Golf variation to try on a 9 foot table

If somebody wants to try it at Derby I'm game and interested in your feedback. If it looks like a decent game it will need a name too lol

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I've been trying to come up with some kind of a golf variation that will work on a 9 foot table. Here's what I've come up with. I'm thinking it's a two player or two team game not a multi handed game.

1. Game starts with Q ball in hand behind the head string and one ball on the spot
2. The object of the game is to make the object ball in each pocket in order around the table, beginning with the lower right hand corner pocket (as seen from the head string). Both players start out shooting for that same lower right corner pocket. The two pocket would be the lower left corner pocket, and the three pocket would be the left side, continuing around the table to the six pocket which would be the right side.
3. Whenever the object ball is on the spot you can't shoot it directly in to your pocket, but you can bank it or kick it. Once it is off the spot then you can shoot it directly into your pocket or you can bank or kick it.
4. Whenever the object ball is pocketed or comes off the table then it goes on the spot.
5. When you pocket the ball in your pocket then you shoot again from where the cue ball lies, and the object goes on the spot.
6. On a scratch or foul your opponent gets ball in hand anywhere on the table and the object ball is played where it lies, or if it was pocketed on the shot then it goes on the spot.
7. If you pocket the object ball in your opponents pocket that pocket counts for your opponent whether you scratch or foul or not. There is no penalty for pocketing the object ball in a neutral pocket, but it ends the shooter's inning. The object ball goes on the spot and the incoming player shoots from where the cue ball lies.
8. if you shoot directly into the object ball then either the object ball or the cue ball has to hit the rail like a normal pool safety. But You don't have to hit a rail after contacting the object ball if you hit a rail before you contact the object ball (on a kick shot), however you do have to contact the object ball or it is a foul.
9. If you are corner hooked you have the option to push out or shoot from there. If you elect to push out your opponent can pass it back or accept the position and shoot from there.

I like it.

one pocket guy

Verified Member
From
Arkansas (near Memphis Tn)
We play golf on a 5/10 snooker table with a red ball in the middle spot (center). If that ball is touched its a foul. A friend of mine said.he played on a nine footer with coffee can in the center of the table.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I've been trying to come up with some kind of a golf variation that will work on a 9 foot table. Here's what I've come up with. I'm thinking it's a two player or two team game not a multi-handed game.

1. Game starts with Q ball in hand behind the head string and one object ball on the spot
2. The object of the game is to make the object ball in each pocket in order around the table, beginning with the lower right hand corner pocket (as seen from the head string). Both players start out shooting for that same lower right corner pocket. The two pocket would be the lower left corner pocket, and the three pocket would be the left side, continuing around the table to the six pocket which would be the right side pocket. The first player/team to advance all the way around the table and legally pocket the object ball into the 6 pocket wins the game.
3. Whenever the object ball is on the spot you can't shoot it directly in to your next pocket, but you can bank it or kick it. Once it is off the spot then you can shoot it directly into your pocket or you can bank or kick it.
5. When you pocket the ball in your pocket then you shoot again from where the cue ball lies, and the object goes on the spot (with rule 3 in play).
6. On a scratch or foul your opponent gets ball in hand anywhere on the table and the object ball is played where it lies, or if it was pocketed on the shot then it goes on the spot, with ball in hand anywhere on the table (but the incoming player cannot shoot the ball directly into their pocket (with rule 3 in play).
7. If you pocket the object ball in your opponent's pocket that pocket counts for your opponent whether you scratch or foul or not. There is no penalty for pocketing the object ball in a neutral pocket, but it ends the shooter's inning. The object ball goes on the spot and the incoming player shoots from where the cue ball lies (with rule 3 in play).
8. If you shoot directly into the object ball then either the object ball or the cue ball has to hit the rail like a normal pool safety. But You don't have to hit a rail after contacting the object ball if you hit a rail before you contact the object ball (on a kick shot), however you do have to contact the object ball or it is a foul.

I will be bringing a cue to DCC and also looking to try this game with any of you that is up for it.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
We play golf on a 5/10 snooker table with a red ball in the middle spot (center). If that ball is touched its a foul. A friend of mine said.he played on a nine footer with coffee can in the center of the table.

I have played that way. On some of the 50/60's Brunswick 5 x 10 snooker tables
They used to put in the bowling alleys in CA, the pockets were so loose it was a runout game. I think we played you went back a hole if you hit it.

Dozens of rules for golf all over the country.

They still play in a couple of rooms outside Los Angeles on 6 x 12's that are so tight you can't pocket the ball from 6" away unless it is dead straight in and hit perfectly. They bet high too, but if you are not a regular on those tables, you have no chance.

I like tight tables for golf, but these are ridiculous.

unoperro

Verified Member
we played on 9ft tables with 2 balls resting on top of chalk as blockers.
knock a ball off,hickey and your ball comes off table. where blocker ends up is where it is now spotted.
other rules similar.

DickP

Verified Member
From
San Antonio, TX
What do you all think of using those clip-in pocket-reducers to make an already tight table more golf appropriate?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

2. The object of the game is to make the object ball in each pocket in order around the table, beginning with the lower right hand corner pocket (as seen from the head string). Both players start out shooting for that same lower right corner pocket. The two pocket would be the lower left corner pocket, and the three pocket would be the left side, continuing around the table to the six pocket which would be the right side pocket. The first player/team to advance all the way around the table and legally pocket the object ball into the 6th pocket wins the game.
5. When you pocket the ball in your pocket then you shoot again from where the cue ball lies, and the object ball goes on the spot (with rule 3 in play).
6. On a scratch or foul your opponent gets ball in hand anywhere on the table and the object ball is played where it lies, or if it was pocketed on the shot then it goes on the spot, with ball in hand anywhere on the table but the incoming player cannot shoot the ball directly into their pocket (with rule 3 in play).
7. If you pocket the object ball in your opponent's pocket that pocket counts for your opponent whether you scratch or foul or not -- except if it is the game-winning pocket, in which case it does not count (You can only win by legally pocketing the sixth pocket yourself). There is no penalty for pocketing the object ball in a neutral pocket, but it ends the shooter's inning. The object ball goes on the spot and the incoming player shoots from where the cue ball lies (with rule 3 in play).

I would like to try this on the 10' table at Lacy's if anyone is game :D Also, if anyone is interested in trying it, I'd be interested in their suggestions for improving these rules. This is just something I came up with myself as yet another golf variation, so I am sure improvements are possible.

What shall we call this game -- "Six Pocket" lol??

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I would like to try this on the 10' table at Lacy's if anyone is game :D Also, if anyone is interested in trying it, I'd be interested in their suggestions for improving these rules. This is just something I came up with myself as yet another golf variation, so I am sure improvements are possible.

What shall we call this game -- "Six Pocket" lol??

As I look at these rules, I think maybe whenever you have ball-in-hand, even if it is after a scratch anywhere on the table, maybe it is too easy if you can shoot directly into your pocket -- maybe Rule 3 should be expanded to include ball-in-hand situations whether the cue ball is on the spot or not.

Also, should making the ball in your opponent's pocket count for the opponent, or is there something else -- like a "hickey" that should come into play instead. Likewise for a scratch.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I used to love to play golf on the snooker table!

Count me in for some on the 5x10 if we get partners going. Heck I think you could even play it 6 handed on the 5x10 if you wanted to.

Also, are you only playing with 1 object ball or each person gets their "own" ball which remains on the table when your opponent is shooting?

sounds fun either way!

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
As I look at these rules, I think maybe whenever you have ball-in-hand, even if it is after a scratch anywhere on the table, maybe it is too easy if you can shoot directly into your pocket -- maybe Rule 3 should be expanded to include ball-in-hand situations whether the cue ball is on the spot or not.

Also, should making the ball in your opponent's pocket count for the opponent, or is there something else -- like a "hickey" that should come into play instead. Likewise for a scratch.

Or if you scratch, opponent gets ball in hand behind the headstring and the shot has to be a forward shot (so you cant make the ball in the 1 or 2 hole if its sitting in the jaws, you would have to kick it)

Also, yea hickeys are good especially if you are playing multiplayer 3-6 guys, they add up and end up a nice pay day for the winner :)

(Could also play the person who plays right before the person who wins has to pay double :) -- that way, people play tighter and becomes more of a good strategy game)

Just throwing out suggestions, use none or all of them if you like!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I used to love to play golf on the snooker table!

Count me in for some on the 5x10 if we get partners going. Heck I think you could even play it 6 handed on the 5x10 if you wanted to.

Also, are you only playing with 1 object ball or each person gets their "own" ball which remains on the table when your opponent is shooting?

sounds fun either way!

I was thinking just one object ball on the table -- both players or teams shooting at the same ball.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I was thinking just one object ball on the table -- both players or teams shooting at the same ball.

That would be a new wrinkle. It might be a better defensive game if each side had their own object ball. Used for takeouts and snookers. If you want a more offensive game, only one object ball would work.