I'm a big fan of John Brumback

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Meeting him the forums first, he seemed like a really nice guy and had a sense of humor to boot. Everyone commented on what a humble down to earth guy he was in real life.

I met him here on the 2nd day of the Banks, and went over and taped his match. Before he had had some runs of 13 and such in previous matches. This match I taped, he had a 3 or so, but beat the guy 3-0. I spoke with his friend Casey, and learned how he came to meet John. It was all because of red chalk and miscuing:D

Since then I have tried to attend every one of his matches and record anything I could. Of course several of his were on the TV table and I couldn't record those.

The buzz at the Derby, was all about him three-peating in the banks division and possibly winning the all around again. Everywhere you go, you would hear that, I would hear well-wishers inject that into their comments with him.

So you had to know he was feeling a incredible amount of pressure to do this. I'm sure he had set that goal with himself too, but on top of his goal, you can't help but feel like "everyone" is wanting you to do this feat. Everyone is rooting for you.

He also wins the bank ring game, which increases the expectation of him doing a three-peat.

As he moved further into the later rounds of banks, as he continued to show why he is the greatest banker on the planet, destroying his opponents, that pressure had to continue to increase. He ended up losing to Sylver Ochoa, which means now, every match is his last if he doesn't win.

Yesterday, he has a onepocket match with Jose Parica on the TV table. The 1st game took forever, all the balls got tied up near the side pocket of Jose's side. John is no champion onepocket player, he will tell you that himself. So if he doesn't have any kind of shot, he's just going to bump and run. He's not going to be hitting 3 or 4 balls over to his side and all that.

So after this long 3 hour match with Jose, which he wins.... he has to go right to the banks. The banks is all behind now. Right off he loses to Sylver. I didn't see that match, so not sure what happened.

He ends up playing Francisco Bustamante on the TV table and Francisco gives him a run for his money. He was behind and came back to win. You can start to see the pressure of this whole thing building. He survives Busty.

He plays a few more guys and does well. It's now time for him and Alex The Lion on the TV table again. We only got 7 people left now. The Accu-stats arena is packed for this match. The buzz of three-peat is heavy in the air. John destroys Alex with a master show of banking ability. Alex gets down on his knees and bows to the master banker. He knew he had felt the power of John Brumback.

It now comes down to John playing Ronnie Alcano and the winner of that plays Alex.

Ronnie wins the 1st game, and the banks aren't going for John. The banks are just not cooperating in this set. Ronnie is having some health issues, he's coughing and standing near the garbage bin when he isn't shooting. But he able to pick off banks here and there with all the balls tied up. There is lots of safety play, as a lot of the balls are on the spot. John made 5 balls on break in the first rack.

You could feel all the pressure of this situation. The pressure just continues to rise and rise with each match. The "expectation" keeps rising and rising from the crowd. It all comes down to the match with Ronnie. And suddenly those banks that were going are rattling in the pocket and leaving Ronnie a easy shot.

He was fighting as hard as he could to shake it off. He would split the pocket, make a beautiful bank and would think now he could put something together, then the next one would rattle or he would miss by inches.

The crowd would cheer every ball he made, because they wanted him to win, to get the three-peat.Ronnie would make a ball and mostly silence.

Ronnie wins the 1st 2 games and is on the hill. Now John must win 3 straight racks. He wins his 1st rack, but you can tell it is not all right. It was a mighty struggle to win that game. The banks were still not cooperating.

Ronnie picks off a few more banks and a few bobbled banks by John left Ronnie a few more. Ronnie played well in this match and deserved to win, he was also battling some health issues and a crowd that didn't want him to win.

But John was battling so much more. The weight of thousands of pool fans "expecting" him to win. The weight of being the greatest banker on the planet and the expectation that comes with that. I'm sure also the personal goals and expectations he had for himself also were tremendous.

If the bank gods decide they are not going to cooperate with you and on top of that, you got all of this other stuff going on... it makes for a crushing defeat.

The dream was gone, the "expectation's" were shattered. To be so near to it all, and have it ended in such a way.

I saw the shock, the disappointment, the numbness on the face of his friend Casey. I saw the disappointment, the anger towards himself, the disbelief, the finality of it all in John's face.

All the fans and well wisher's, clapped him on the back and said "good run" and "it's ok", but they all were just words. All those words are so hollow to a person that has just suffered such a loss. I too, was one to try and offer some heartfelt words to try and help him cope with the moment, but I know my words were just that... words.

I was behind him on this long walk back to the hotel room. His friend Casey, following him several feet behind. Both of them deep in their own thoughts, trying to digest what had just happened. Still in shock of how things were looking so good for a win, and then in one match, nothing would cooperate.

In the elevator ride up, I "felt" all that pressure, all that "expectation", all those personal goals you strive for all year, and the pain of not achieving or fulfilling those goals and expectations.

My parting words to him as the elevator door opened were "John, that's why that sh1t's so hard" and I had to leave.

I said those words, because I was thinking of all these athletes from all sports who go thru the same thing. First a win, then the talk of a repeat, you do that, then the renewed talk of a three-peat. The odds of doing a repeat are very high, the odds of doing a three-peat start to get astronomical. And in all sports, there is few that ever win the championship 3 times in a row. And the pressure of a repeat is huge, the pressure of a three-peat is 100 times that.

I was a fan that would have like to see him win, but I am also a fan that recognizes the insane difficulty that it entails.

I am glad all this pressure is off him now. I know the loss is very painful, but it is just a loss. It doesn't change a thing about who he is and the accomplishments he's achieved. He is in a class by himself and that is even more solidified by his run this year. It is also the reason he is being inducted into the Bank Pool Hall of Fame tonight.

You cannot find a nicer, more humble, down to earth guy in pool. My opinion of course. Him and Efren share that trait and we all know what Efren has done.

Thank you John, for letting me enjoy your greatness in this game on the green felt, to see it with my own eyes, the unbelievable ability and skill you posses in this game. I love banks and I have a whole new appreciation for the game, because of the shots I saw you make over and over.

Today, have some fun and enjoy the game again without all that pressure. You earned it:D

And for God's sake, tonight at the Hall of Fame, don't give us any of that Efren crap of "I got lucky":D

You sir, all the greatest bank pool player on the planet.:)

Below the many faces of a three-peat run. Thankfully now that it's over, we can go back to seeing the 3rd and 4th pictures more often.

Attachments

• IMG_0944.JPG
    IMG_0944.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1054.JPG
    IMG_1054.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1079.JPG
    IMG_1079.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1119.JPG
    IMG_1119.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1153.JPG
    IMG_1153.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

MARK..HOU TX

Verified Member
He's a champ..He'll do what champs do..recharge and start another run..Good stuff Cali

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
There's only one thing that comes to mind..

"I'm the best you ever seen, Fats. I'm the best there is. And even if you beat me, I'm still the best." ;)

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
John spent a week in Vegas on Biz last summer, he stayed with me. So I got to know him real good that week, I really like him alot as a person, his game speaks for itself.

I promised him I would be in his corner in the finals last night, I forgot it was the finals and was in bed. When I got word-I got dressed and went down stairs and took my seat right where he wanted me.

I could see that he was dead balls exhausted, and that took enough off his stroke that he was missing. When he won a rack to put him down 2-1, I saw a little pep in his step, I was hopeing that was enough to get him going. Sadly it wasnt it did for a minute but he faded in to being tired again. But I was there for my friend, I didnt stay to watch the finals.

I dont know how many matches he won in the past 3 years, but it mutbe one hell of a record, and since anyone can win a short race; that makes his run that much more impressive.

I believe if they would have finished up today and he got a good nights sleep he would have won again, I believe he will win next year, but we'll have to wait until 2014 for the 3-peat.

best
Fatboy

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Banks said:

"I'm the best you ever seen, Fats. I'm the best there is. And even if you beat me, I'm still the best." ;)
Banks,

Not to rain on J. Brumback, he's a great banker but you do realize don't you that that line is the point in the film where Burt Gordon realizes that Fast Eddie is a loser, don't you?

Dennis

Cowboy Dennis said:
Banks,

Not to rain on J. Brumback, he's a great banker but you do realize don't you that that line is the point in the film where Burt Gordon realizes that Fast Eddie is a loser, don't you?

Dennis

Got that right,Dennis.

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
But Brumback's not a loser(not that I need to point that out). I'm using it for umm.. a better, more truer situation. Even Efren couldn't win em all. :)

And yeah, I reunderstood(since my memory is @#$%) what the were saying about Eddie, but but but.. what I said up there. :p

Don't mind me, I'll just be slinking slowly away and heading home from work.. :eek:

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I did not think it was right to make a player play that late after all the matches at banks and then one pocket. I bought the accustat pk and saw the grueling one pocket match wi parica. Why did they just have to finish that night. They could have let people sleep. Its hurry up then wait, like being in the Army. Like encouraging people to take pills or something.

JAM

Verified Member
One of the difficulties a competitor has to overcome at the DCC is managing their sleep. I found the sleep deprivation brutal. There is so much going on, too. It was difficult to know when a person's match would start, due to the buybacks, and sometimes the players might have to hang for several hours, only to be told that they won't be playing that day. :eek:

I'm not knocking the Derby, though, so please don't misinterpret my post. I'm just saying logistics for the competitors can be difficult.

BTW, that John Brumback is very handsome! :cool:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
In my view you can blame Brumback not winning the bank pool tournament on the DCC management's ridiculous decision to complete the banks event on Monday night-- come hell or high water! To make these men finish this prestigious event in the middle of the night was an insult.

Brumback suffered for the decision more so than did Alcano or Pagulayan, due to their age differences. John must be in his late 40's. The other two are probably still in their 20's.

After John crushed Pagulayan 3-0 that evening they should have had the 3 of them come back the next day to finish. The result would obviously been different if they had.

When John had to play Alcano next (to see who would play Alex in the finals), John could barely keep his eyes open. Every time I looked over at him, his eyes were doing those long, slow blinks characteristic of someone who is fighting fatigue.

Every year that I'm aware of, the DCC has finished with the final few banks matches Tuesday. This year they inexplicably changed that.

John Brumback would crush these two guys under any normal circumstances, just like he easily defeated Alex in their earlier matchup. Alex even got down on his knees and bowed to John after their match. It's extremely disappointing to me that Brumback was robbed of a third title due to scheduling. He's the best bank pool player on the planet.

Doc

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn

Amen Doc,like the Hustler when Fats comes out after sprucing up and Fast Eddie is spent after those first 24 hrs or whatever.Thanks for the news.....

Big Jim

Verified Member
From
Southern, Indiana
gulfportdoc said:
In my view you can blame Brumback not winning the bank pool tournament on the DCC management's ridiculous decision to complete the banks event on Monday night-- come hell or high water! To make these men finish this prestigious event in the middle of the night was an insult.

Brumback suffered for the decision more so than did Alcano or Pagulayan, due to their age differences. John must be in his late 40's. The other two are probably still in their 20's.

After John crushed Pagulayan 3-0 that evening they should have had the 3 of them come back the next day to finish. The result would obviously been different if they had.

When John had to play Alcano next (to see who would play Alex in the finals), John could barely keep his eyes open. Every time I looked over at him, his eyes were doing those long, slow blinks characteristic of someone who is fighting fatigue.

Every year that I'm aware of, the DCC has finished with the final few banks matches Tuesday. This year they inexplicably changed that.

John Brumback would crush these two guys under any normal circumstances, just like he easily defeated Alex in their earlier matchup. Alex even got down on his knees and bowed to John after their match. It's extremely disappointing to me that Brumback was robbed of a third title due to scheduling. He's the best bank pool player on the planet.

Doc
I agree with you Doc, i stayed there until 0130 about halfway thru John's match playing alcano, and i got tired and went on home. Still didnt' get to bed until 0300 am. I know John had to be exhausted. Jim

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
I felt bad for John. He was blinking like crazy and even saw him go to grab the chalk and missed it! I think if he was fresh he would have won it again, they should not run the finals like that for any of the events, why not do them the next day at noon or something? Not my event but boy is that brutal. It was a pleasure to meet John, he is a hell of a nice guy and I enjoyed the little time I spent talking with him. More players could learn something from this man on how to carry themselves and act, all class.

John Brumback

Verified Member
CaliRed said:
Meeting him the forums first, he seemed like a really nice guy and had a sense of humor to boot. Everyone commented on what a humble down to earth guy he was in real life.

I met him here on the 2nd day of the Banks, and went over and taped his match. Before he had had some runs of 13 and such in previous matches. This match I taped, he had a 3 or so, but beat the guy 3-0. I spoke with his friend Casey, and learned how he came to meet John. It was all because of red chalk and miscuing:D

Since then I have tried to attend every one of his matches and record anything I could. Of course several of his were on the TV table and I couldn't record those.

The buzz at the Derby, was all about him three-peating in the banks division and possibly winning the all around again. Everywhere you go, you would hear that, I would hear well-wishers inject that into their comments with him.

So you had to know he was feeling a incredible amount of pressure to do this. I'm sure he had set that goal with himself too, but on top of his goal, you can't help but feel like "everyone" is wanting you to do this feat. Everyone is rooting for you.

He also wins the bank ring game, which increases the expectation of him doing a three-peat.

As he moved further into the later rounds of banks, as he continued to show why he is the greatest banker on the planet, destroying his opponents, that pressure had to continue to increase. He ended up losing to Sylver Ochoa, which means now, every match is his last if he doesn't win.

Yesterday, he has a onepocket match with Jose Parica on the TV table. The 1st game took forever, all the balls got tied up near the side pocket of Jose's side. John is no champion onepocket player, he will tell you that himself. So if he doesn't have any kind of shot, he's just going to bump and run. He's not going to be hitting 3 or 4 balls over to his side and all that.

So after this long 3 hour match with Jose, which he wins.... he has to go right to the banks. The banks is all behind now. Right off he loses to Sylver. I didn't see that match, so not sure what happened.

He ends up playing Francisco Bustamante on the TV table and Francisco gives him a run for his money. He was behind and came back to win. You can start to see the pressure of this whole thing building. He survives Busty.

He plays a few more guys and does well. It's now time for him and Alex The Lion on the TV table again. We only got 7 people left now. The Accu-stats arena is packed for this match. The buzz of three-peat is heavy in the air. John destroys Alex with a master show of banking ability. Alex gets down on his knees and bows to the master banker. He knew he had felt the power of John Brumback.

It now comes down to John playing Ronnie Alcano and the winner of that plays Alex.

Ronnie wins the 1st game, and the banks aren't going for John. The banks are just not cooperating in this set. Ronnie is having some health issues, he's coughing and standing near the garbage bin when he isn't shooting. But he able to pick off banks here and there with all the balls tied up. There is lots of safety play, as a lot of the balls are on the spot. John made 5 balls on break in the first rack.

You could feel all the pressure of this situation. The pressure just continues to rise and rise with each match. The "expectation" keeps rising and rising from the crowd. It all comes down to the match with Ronnie. And suddenly those banks that were going are rattling in the pocket and leaving Ronnie a easy shot.

He was fighting as hard as he could to shake it off. He would split the pocket, make a beautiful bank and would think now he could put something together, then the next one would rattle or he would miss by inches.

The crowd would cheer every ball he made, because they wanted him to win, to get the three-peat.Ronnie would make a ball and mostly silence.

Ronnie wins the 1st 2 games and is on the hill. Now John must win 3 straight racks. He wins his 1st rack, but you can tell it is not all right. It was a mighty struggle to win that game. The banks were still not cooperating.

Ronnie picks off a few more banks and a few bobbled banks by John left Ronnie a few more. Ronnie played well in this match and deserved to win, he was also battling some health issues and a crowd that didn't want him to win.

But John was battling so much more. The weight of thousands of pool fans "expecting" him to win. The weight of being the greatest banker on the planet and the expectation that comes with that. I'm sure also the personal goals and expectations he had for himself also were tremendous.

If the bank gods decide they are not going to cooperate with you and on top of that, you got all of this other stuff going on... it makes for a crushing defeat.

The dream was gone, the "expectation's" were shattered. To be so near to it all, and have it ended in such a way.

I saw the shock, the disappointment, the numbness on the face of his friend Casey. I saw the disappointment, the anger towards himself, the disbelief, the finality of it all in John's face.

All the fans and well wisher's, clapped him on the back and said "good run" and "it's ok", but they all were just words. All those words are so hollow to a person that has just suffered such a loss. I too, was one to try and offer some heartfelt words to try and help him cope with the moment, but I know my words were just that... words.

I was behind him on this long walk back to the hotel room. His friend Casey, following him several feet behind. Both of them deep in their own thoughts, trying to digest what had just happened. Still in shock of how things were looking so good for a win, and then in one match, nothing would cooperate.

In the elevator ride up, I "felt" all that pressure, all that "expectation", all those personal goals you strive for all year, and the pain of not achieving or fulfilling those goals and expectations.

My parting words to him as the elevator door opened were "John, that's why that sh1t's so hard" and I had to leave.

I said those words, because I was thinking of all these athletes from all sports who go thru the same thing. First a win, then the talk of a repeat, you do that, then the renewed talk of a three-peat. The odds of doing a repeat are very high, the odds of doing a three-peat start to get astronomical. And in all sports, there is few that ever win the championship 3 times in a row. And the pressure of a repeat is huge, the pressure of a three-peat is 100 times that.

I was a fan that would have like to see him win, but I am also a fan that recognizes the insane difficulty that it entails.

I am glad all this pressure is off him now. I know the loss is very painful, but it is just a loss. It doesn't change a thing about who he is and the accomplishments he's achieved. He is in a class by himself and that is even more solidified by his run this year. It is also the reason he is being inducted into the Bank Pool Hall of Fame tonight.

You cannot find a nicer, more humble, down to earth guy in pool. My opinion of course. Him and Efren share that trait and we all know what Efren has done.

Thank you John, for letting me enjoy your greatness in this game on the green felt, to see it with my own eyes, the unbelievable ability and skill you posses in this game. I love banks and I have a whole new appreciation for the game, because of the shots I saw you make over and over.

Today, have some fun and enjoy the game again without all that pressure. You earned it:D

And for God's sake, tonight at the Hall of Fame, don't give us any of that Efren crap of "I got lucky":D

You sir, all the greatest bank pool player on the planet.:)

Below the many faces of a three-peat run. Thankfully now that it's over, we can go back to seeing the 3rd and 4th pictures more often.

Wow! Thanks red!! Seems like you were right there beside me through It all.

I really did here what you said to me after we got off the elevator.That was very good of you,and I appreciate It bud.I'm sure you could tell how hot I was.It's all kind of blurry still but I hope I didn't act like a total ass. Thanks again Calired.You worked your tail off,I know that. Glad I got to meet you even though I didn't get to hang with ya as much as I would have liked to.
You sir, are a real trooper!!! Your friend,John B.

John Brumback

Verified Member
MARK..HOU TX said:
He's a champ..He'll do what champs do..recharge and start another run..Good stuff Cali

Thanks Mark,I'm already thinking about next year.

John Brumback

Verified Member
Banks said:

hahaha I love that that line!!! Thank you very much.

John Brumback

Verified Member
Fatboy said:
John spent a week in Vegas on Biz last summer, he stayed with me. So I got to know him real good that week, I really like him alot as a person, his game speaks for itself.

I promised him I would be in his corner in the finals last night, I forgot it was the finals and was in bed. When I got word-I got dressed and went down stairs and took my seat right where he wanted me.

I could see that he was dead balls exhausted, and that took enough off his stroke that he was missing. When he won a rack to put him down 2-1, I saw a little pep in his step, I was hopeing that was enough to get him going. Sadly it wasnt it did for a minute but he faded in to being tired again. But I was there for my friend, I didnt stay to watch the finals.

I dont know how many matches he won in the past 3 years, but it mutbe one hell of a record, and since anyone can win a short race; that makes his run that much more impressive.

I believe if they would have finished up today and he got a good nights sleep he would have won again, I believe he will win next year, but we'll have to wait until 2014 for the 3-peat.

best
Fatboy

Thanks alot Fatboy for being there for me.Yeah,I think they wore me out In one day.That match with busty just seemed to take alot out of me. Man I mustered all I could to win that match but then I was spent as you could tell.
I really was playing better bankpool than I ever have going into It this year.
Oh well,I'll get em next year.Thanks again my good buddy.

John Brumback

Verified Member
Jimmy B said:
I did not think it was right to make a player play that late after all the matches at banks and then one pocket. I bought the accustat pk and saw the grueling one pocket match wi parica. Why did they just have to finish that night. They could have let people sleep. Its hurry up then wait, like being in the Army. Like encouraging people to take pills or something.

Thanks there Jimmy B. I can't figure out who, but somebody didn't want me to win 3 in a row. Most all the tourny directors came to me later and said they were very sorry for making me play a major finals in the middle of the night. I had to play for 18 hours that day.Oh well,It was still a great tourny.
Thanks again

John Brumback

Verified Member
gulfportdoc said:

Doc

Thank a bunch Doc.I can't think for the life of me,why they had to do that.
Like you said they have NEVER done that before.I tried to find out who's Idea it was to no avail. It was not Ken's or Greg's.Thanks again Doc.nice seeing you there.