Tony Chohan vs. Chris Bartram 2007 U.S. Open

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
It's Bartram's shot, score is 0-0 and this is the first game. What would you do?

View attachment 2344
I see two shots I like. The first if available is banking the 8 ball and sending the cue ball toward the two balls that are tied up near the side pocket. The other shot is to cut the 6 ball toward the 2 and 5 balls and drop under the 14 ball.

I like the 6 ball shot the best, but if you're feeling aggressive you can bank the 8 ball, but it must be hit with the speed to controll both the 8 and cue ball.

Billy I.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
wincardona said:
I see two shots I like. The first if available is banking the 8 ball and sending the cue ball toward the two balls that are tied up near the side pocket. The other shot is to cut the 6 ball toward the 2 and 5 balls and drop under the 14 ball.

I like the 6 ball shot the best, but if you're feeling aggressive you can bank the 8 ball, but it must be hit with the speed to controll both the 8 and cue ball.

Billy I.
Allow me to expand on my thinking. I don't like fooling with the two balls that are tied up near the side pocket, that's a problem area for my opponent to resolve, not me, at least not now. I like creating a little congestion with the 2 and 6 balls, two balls that are possible game winners for my opponent, in the event he ever gets an opportunity to use them as such. By dropping under the 14 ball I will probably have another opportunity to develop a better position for myself the next time I get back to the table.

This is a situation where there isn't anything available to improve your position, and certainly not the time to try to force something. So take what the table offers and try to break down your opponents position and play a solid safety at the same time.

I really feel that the 8 ball bank is unneccesary, and a distant second option, but if I were forced to do something other than playing off the 6 ball it would be to bank the 8 ball.

Billy I.

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
Sure was a popular match, look at all the rail birds-and who said pool was dieing?:(

I like cutting the 6 ball and tucking the rock under the covers with the 14, thats the only shot I'd play from here, the other shots would just get me in trouble.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
If I had a plane to catch, I would hit the four-ball combination and play the 11 in off the 9 and run out. Looks good from down here in Baton Rouge. :eek: :p

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Fatboy said:
Sure was a popular match, look at all the rail birds-and who said pool was dieing?:(

The excitment must have been electric...RBL, it doesn't matter what Bartram shoots...He can't win...(unless its a gambling match, and hes getting a lot of weight)..:rolleyes:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
wincardona said:
I really feel that the 8 ball bank is unneccesary, and a distant second option, but if I were forced to do something other than playing off the 6 ball it would be to bank the 8 ball.

Billy I.

If I could hit enough of the 8 ball, a Gofer like me would shoot it for sure.:)
Rod.
PS, I got a little closer than usual on my remakes. I am comfortable with this shot.;)
PPS, I probably shoot it a little different than most.

Attachments

• #2.jpg
    #2.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

bstroud

Verified Member
I actually like shooting into the 2 balls tied up on the rail. Shoot the stripe into the rail and then the solid.

Both balls will head toward your pocket and you can just stop the cue ball.

With a little luck you will have most of the balls nearer your pocket and leave no shot.

The only danger is that the stripe could hit the 14 but if you stop the cue ball it is safe.

The way the balls are open to your opponents pocket you need to something now or lose the game later.

Bill Stroud

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
bstroud said:
I actually like shooting into the 2 balls tied up on the rail. Shoot the stripe into the rail and then the solid.

With a little luck you will have most of the balls nearer your pocket and leave no shot.

The only danger is that the stripe could hit the 14 but if you stop the cue ball it is safe.

The way the balls are open to your opponents pocket you need to something now or lose the game later.

Bill Stroud

The way I see it the stripe is less than an inch off the rail and the 7 ball is less than an inch and a half from the rail, if that's the way the balls are laying your shot is impossible. But maybe i'm seeing it wrong.

Billy I.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
wincardona said:
The way I see it the stripe is less than an inch off the rail and the 7 ball is less than an inch and a half from the rail, if that's the way the balls are laying your shot is impossible. But maybe i'm seeing it wrong.

Billy I.

Billy,

Your tired old eyes, are seeing it wrong...This shot is "a no brainer"...There is no better shot, in that situation..If you like, you can even kill the cue balll, one rail, (or draw into the stack)...You are not neccesarily trying to make the ball, but you wiil put your opponet in serious] trouble...JMHO..:cool:

I'm talkig about what Bartam left Tony, after his safety attempt !

PS..We all have our pet shots...:eek:

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
SJDinPHX said:
Billy,

Your tired old eyes, are seeing it wrong...That is a gimmie...there is no better shot, in that situation..If you like, you can even kill the cue balll, one rail, into the stack....:cool:
I'm going in for back surgery, I hope I do better than the implants I got 4 years ago, eyes failing me already.:eek:

Billy I.

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
bstroud said:

Bill Stroud

Looks to me like the bottom ball may hit the `14 and pop out leaving a shot here Bill.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
androd said:
If I could hit enough of the 8 ball, a Gofer like me would shoot it for sure.:)
Rod.
PS, I got a little closer than usual on my remakes. I am comfortable with this shot.;)
PPS, I probably shoot it a little different than most.

I like shooting easy shoots maybe more now then ever because I shoot so good.

I no you are a good shooter and if you bank the ball you could end up in big trouble. If you leave the eight ball were he can bank it into the 14 ball on the bottom rail he will in a position to run out on you. And If you makr youre bank you wont get too meny balls.

I would never shoot the eight ball unless I was just going too use the eight too lock up the cue ball to position my opponent for a better shot.

I no you are learning the game and you will be a great player. But it takes time. And you have to learn the correct shots and howe too think one pocket.

Todays players shoot one pocket great. But they dont think one pocket.

Her is what I would shoot and you can tell me what you think. But fiuge it all out before answering.

I would shoot the cue ball off the 6 ball into the blue ball and all off those balls will open up real nice and you will even get a ball near the rail by youre pocket.

You will have turnd all those balls around so they will all go in youre pocket. Were before none of them would go in youre pocket. And the key too the whole shot is to try too freeze the cue ball behind the 14 ball by the rail.

And make sure you try too freeze him too the ball. That is very very important. And if you ececute the shot correctly. Youre opponet will be in a very bad position.

And Its hard too exacly see howe the balls are laying but it looks like the stripe ball could kiss off the 9 ball and go in. THat shot will turn the whole game around. And you will become a good favorite.

I just want you too see if you understand what I am saying. And I no you no enough about pool too see howe nice all the balls will open up. What do you think?

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Artie Bodendorfer said:
I no you are learning the game and you will be a great player. But it takes time. And you have to learn the correct shots and howe too think one pocket.

Todays players shoot one pocket great. But they dont think one pocket.

Artie,

I would say Rod needs another 40 years, to sharpen his game up... But,...then he'll be 113 ..:eek: (maybe he should start learning Lawn Bowling)..:D

bstroud

Verified Member
blackeee said:
Looks to me like the bottom ball may hit the `14 and pop out leaving a shot here Bill.

I noted that in my post.

The choice to shoot this shot or not depends on how far the solid ball is off the rail. 1 1/2 to 2" is OK but closer is a no go.

Otherwise I like the bank on the eight with position up table. Most good players should make this bank at least 50%.

Bill Stroud

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Artie Bodendorfer said:
And Its hard too exacly see howe the balls are laying but it looks like the stripe ball could kiss off the 9 ball and go in. THat shot will turn the whole game around. And you will become a good favorite.

Looky here. Artie has endorsed my shot. Sort of.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
vapros said:
Artie Bodendorfer said:

Looky here. Artie has endorsed my shot. Sort of.

If thats youre shot and you lock the cue ball up behind the 14 ball. You win first prize. Thier is no better or more powerfull shoot you can shoot. Turning all those balls to face youre whole awere you can run out on youre next shot.

Is stronger then a power shot. Its so strong that you can go too the bank and get a lone. And you no howe hard it is too go too the bank and get a lone now days.

But If you pichet that shott youre game just went up ywo balls.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
bstroud said:

Bill Stroud
This is the shot he chose. It sounded like there was a double-kiss on the shot but he came out alright.

Bartram's Shot.jpg

Here's how he left it:

Bartram's Leave.Jpeg

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
This is the shot he chose. It sounded like there was a double-kiss on the shot but he came out alright.

View attachment 2348

Here's how he left it:

View attachment 2349

The shot that Chris shot was a risky shot, if you notice the action he got with the stripe and the 7 balls he really couldn't improve his position but could have and may have left a return shot with either the 9 or 11 balls. I believe that Chohan has a good bank on the 11 ball with a chance to do some damage.

If the 7 ball would of been 2 to 3 inches off the rail, creating a situation where the striped could have worked around it he would of then sent both balls like BS said toward his side of the table. I'm looking for Chohan to bank the 11 ball as a counter to Bartrams shot. It looks like by drawing the cue ball you should kill it and end up near the striped ball on Bartrams side of the table, with possibly a threatning position for Bartram to deal with. And if Chohan hits it well he can pocket the 14 ball. Billy I.

Billy I.

Last edited: