Chris's Billiards

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Sorry for starting another thread, but I didn't want this info to get lost in the shuffle.

Was too tired last night to write this because I just had got home from battling Chicago Mike for 6 hours.

Before I contributed to this cluster-fukk, re Chris's Billiards, I wanted to talk to Buddy/owner of Chris's Billiards...

So yesterday I told Buddy (who I've known for about 30 years) about the tournament and not only is he cool with hosting the tournament, he enthusiastically wants to host it.....to quote him, he jokingly said to me "Bring it on - It'd be good to see some new faces around here for a few days - I'm tired of looking at all of you regulars ugly mugs"

Ok then, facts and my comments:

1. Chris's is a historic old school poolroom (the poolroom where about 18 yrs. ago Alex Pagulayan first started playing One Pocket - with me for $10 a game :)) well worth seeing if you've never been.

2. As I already said, Buddy is more than happy to have us, and when I asked him if $30 a man green fees seemed reasonable to him for his end, he said "That's fine, hell, they can even give me $20 a man." And he doesn't care what month it is.

3A. Chris's is located just a short drive down the freeway from O'Hare International Airport for those who would be flying in.

3B. There are no motels very close to Chris's...the closest are a decent budget motel, and a more upscale Holiday Inn - both approx. 2-3 miles away.

4. As has been mentioned by a couple of other posters, Chris's does not have a bar or cafe/restaurant so the only small meals that they have are hot dogs, tamales/tacos, and frozen pizzas ... but, Buddy has no problem with people bringing in their own food and liquor - everybody does it ... just 50 feet down the block from Chris's entrance is a liquor store...

... and, as for food, directly across the street from Chris's is a Chinese takeout restaurant, two blocks away is a Polish home cooking restaurant, 5 blocks away is a restaurant that has some of the best slabs of ribs in Chicago, 8 blocks away is a fish market that sells delicious 1/2 lb.- 1 lb. French fried shrimp and/or scallops to go in paper bags, and, lastly, there's an Italian pizzeria nearby with super great pizza that we always order from.

5. Chris's is totally non-smoking.

6. Chris's has plenty of tables - approx. 25 9 ft. tables, a mixture of Gold Crowns and Diamonds, 8 Diamond bar tables, 5 three-cushion tables, and one 6 x 12 snooker table.

A couple of other things: as regards Jerry's neighborhood safety concern ... that's laughable where Chris's is concerned - Chris's is located in a middle-class residential neighborhood - the kind of neighborhood where city workers (like cops and firemen, etc.) live. Directly across the street from Chris's is a big nice neighborhood park, and next door is the local firehouse.

Another thing that Chris's Billiards has in spades (that most other poolrooms don't have) is excellent, plentiful seating around all the tables. There are 3 to 6 comfortable stadium chairs around every table, and, personally, I think this is huge, especially for an event like ours, cuz this lets lots of us guys have good seating to sweat other people's matches - I'm attaching a couple of pictures to show this and to show part of the poolroom - the room that you are seeing in these two pics, is one of three separate rooms that make up Chris's Billiards.

If there's anything I've forgotten to mention, let me know.

Lastly, if Chris's gets chosen, I will help out where needed - anybody can pm or call me for info re. transportation, lodging, etc. etc.....and I've been talking to Matt and we'd work together.

- Ghost

PS, That's onepocket.org members Clyde and Tom in the first pic.

Attachments

• 0001.JPG
    0001.JPG
    259.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Thanks Ghost for providing this info. This is the sort of information we need for all the room options, imho.

PS you were sorely missed at DCC this year!

unoperro

Verified Member
I would love to see the trnmnt at this historic locale.
Never been there, it is Chi town so food is not a problem;)

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
IMHO, Chris's would be far superior to host the tournament than Red Shoes due to the amount of tables needed and action.

I would try to make it to Chicago if possible and Ghost always has action with me:D

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Wonderful post Ghost, and just to get to meet you and perhaps donate a few bucks a game for lessons I will cast my vote for Chris's right now... I'll also vote for May 19/20/21 for the dates of the tournament... That's the weekend after Mothers Day and the missus should be in a good mood and let me go...:).

I sincerely hope Chris's wins out, I haven't been to Chicago since 1963 when I lost my entire Navy paycheck and my dads Bulova watch to some pool hustler in Bensingers... :D. That wasn't you, was it...

Thanks Ghost

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
Chris's is a great room, although it appears to have changed (improved) considerably since I played there in the late eighties. I lived at Diversey and Lake Shore Dr for almost three years, 87 to 89, and found Chris's early on.

This would be a great venue.:)

kollegedave

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
If there was a tournament held at Chris, and if my schedule allowed, I would really try and make it. I have always wanted to play there, and to be there with the great guys I know from here would be better.

kollegedave

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
:p
Wonderful post Ghost, and just to get to meet you and perhaps donate a few bucks a game for lessons I will cast my vote for Chris's right now... I'll also vote for May 19/20/21 for the dates of the tournament... That's the weekend after Mothers Day and the missus should be in a good mood and let me go...:).

I sincerely hope Chris's wins out, I haven't been to Chicago since 1963 when I lost my entire Navy paycheck and my dads Bulova watch to some pool hustler in Bensingers... :D. That wasn't you, was it...

Thanks Ghost

I'm good with these dates also.........I love this Ghost quote.......

I'm tired of looking at all of you regulars ugly mugs"

Oh how true that is.LMAO

GriffinG

Verified Member
From
NW Indiana
I'd be there. And I'd be happy to help out Bruce, whatever you need. Maybe Clyde will fly back for this too?

bobt64

Verified Member
From
Green Valley, AZ
I would try my best to make at least a day of this event, somebody has to be the the weakest player there. Depending on my wife's current condition improving I might be able to be more involved, right now it would be difficult to leave here alone for more than a day, even that might be an issue. I only started playing 1P seriously last year, it's about the only game I am playing while in AZ for the winter. Down here all my competition consists of a small group of players. This is in a senior room and while there are some decent players it's hard to tell if I am making any improvements. Back in IL the 1P matches are a bit harder to find,our local room has a few players and I am trying to get more 1P going there.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
I would try my best to make at least a day of this event, somebody has to be the the weakest player there. Depending on my wife's current condition improving I might be able to be more involved, right now it would be difficult to leave here alone for more than a day, even that might be an issue. I only started playing 1P seriously last year, it's about the only game I am playing while in AZ for the winter. Down here all my competition consists of a small group of players. This is in a senior room and while there are some decent players it's hard to tell if I am making any improvements. Back in IL the 1P matches are a bit harder to find,our local room has a few players and I am trying to get more 1P going there.

I won't name names, but you'll have some competition for that title!

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Thanks Ghost for providing this info. This is the sort of information we need for all the room options, imho.

PS you were sorely missed at DCC this year!

thanks for the info ghost, that's great!

You're welcome.

And I missed being there, playing and seeing all the bros...this was the first DCC that I didn't go to in the last 16 years.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
IMHO, Chris's would be far superior to host the tournament than Red Shoes due to the amount of tables needed and action.

I would try to make it to Chicago if possible and Ghost always has action with me :D

Yeah, I know you want revenge from our last 2 throwdowns :) but I don't like the equation of: you keep getting better, and I keep getting older...:D