Gene Nagy

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I noticed someone posted on AZ that Gene Nagy had died. I understand he was a pretty strong One Pocket player, besides of course his Straight Pool excellence. Can anyone provide any more background on Nagy regarding One Pocket? I own Grissim's book, but it happens to be on loan at the moment. I believe there was a transcription of the colorful banter between Jersey Red & Nagy during a One Pocket match in there...

Anyone who could begin to try to keep up with Red at the table and in a war of words -- well, my hat is tipped to them.

Rest in peace, Gene.

BillPorter

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Gene Nagy

NH Steve said:
I noticed someone posted on AZ that Gene Nagy had died. I understand he was a pretty strong One Pocket player, besides of course his Straight Pool excellence. Can anyone provide any more background on Nagy regarding One Pocket? I own Grissim's book, but it happens to be on loan at the moment. I believe there was a transcription of the colorful banter between Jersey Red & Nagy during a One Pocket match in there...

Anyone who could begin to try to keep up with Red at the table and in a war of words -- well, my hat is tipped to them.

Rest in peace, Gene.
Steve, I can't give you any background info on Gene, but here's the pic of him from Grissim's book.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Story about Nagy

Story about Nagy

I have an old war story about Artie, me and Nagy. If I feel a little better later I will relate it to the forum.
the Beard

eagle18

Gene and One Pocket

Gene and One Pocket

NH Steve said:

Rest in peace, Gene.

Hello,

I am new to this site and knew Gene for more than 45 years. We grew up together. To put it as simply as possible, Gene hated One Pocket. He almost never played it. I see that a game with Jersey Red is refered to, but it is certainly something Gene would have done only for a reason other than to play One Pocket. Sorry to bust anyone's bubble, but you can take what I am saying to the bank, and bet the farm.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Nagy and 1pkt

Nagy and 1pkt

I brought Gene Nagy to Bensingers to play Artie 1pkt. Gene had a backer, and of course, I was in with Artie. I knew Gene was a top player so I was a little worried about my bet. However, in the very first game they played Artie got off to a 6 to 0 lead and incredibly, already had begun "stalling" as if he was afraid Nagy would quit him right away. I figured if Artie thought he could stall and win, that was good enough for me, so I left and went home to bed (it was early morning and Gene and I had played to a draw after playing all night). When I came back to the poolroom to get my end, I found out Gene had won only 1 game all day, and he had had to run 8 and out to win that. Even so, Artie grumbled that he probably didnt have to leave the shot that caused his only game loss. One pocket was probably the only game Artie could have beaten him at.

the Beard

philip guagliardo

Verified Member
Freddy Freddy ! First of all you did'nt go home you went to sleep in the first game ! nagy ran 8 and out on artie ! that was the end of gene ever seeing another shot artie beat him 9 0r 10 in a row ! remember genes backer was my horse backer also and you know the rest of the story ! you woke up and immediately after nagy quit or artie might have let you sleep and kept your end for awhile ! you had like seventh sense or something you jumped up and said who won ! we know you knew even in your sleep . the kid could really shoot at least the first game . you could tell he hated one pocket and the dungeon was'nt the place to learn for free !
race track !

p s the horse god got me again freddy ! alive for 17 and 41 in the pik 4 del mar ! you know he does'nt like me anymore that bum !

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I do remember Gene wanted to keep playing

I do remember Gene wanted to keep playing

philip guagliardo said:
Freddy Freddy ! First of all you did'nt go home you went to sleep in the first game ! nagy ran 8 and out on artie ! that was the end of gene ever seeing another shot artie beat him 9 0r 10 in a row ! remember genes backer was my horse backer also and you know the rest of the story ! you woke up and immediately after nagy quit or artie might have let you sleep and kept your end for awhile ! you had like seventh sense or something you jumped up and said who won ! we know you knew even in your sleep . the kid could really shoot at least the first game . you could tell he hated one pocket and the dungeon was'nt the place to learn for free !
race track !
/QUOTE]

Well, I know I slept through the match. I also remember that Gene was mad that his backer Ralph pulled up. He wanted to keep playing, he said Artie didnt really show him anything (only about 9 in a row!). Ralph took him directly to the airport where he put Gene on a plane back to NY.

the Beard