tony forfeits

JAM

Verified Member
I believe Tony discovered who his true friends were when he was doing his time. Well, at least he told me that. A lot of people didn't bother to write or help in his time of need, but there were a few people--"friends"--who did keep in touch and support him when he was away, with an emphasis on "few."

As far as him doing the sale of drugs previously, that is wrong. He was actually set up by a fellow pool player who had gotten popped and set Tony up in an effort to have his own conviction reduced to no jail time. Tony was given the proposition by his fellow friend pool player to make a one-time sale and make a large score. I kind of liken it to that lot-of-green shot in one-pocket. Do you go for it and go for the win, or do you play a safety? Tony had knowledge of where to get the large quantity and decided to go for it. He went for the win, the big score. He gambled and got set up, did his time, did not rat out on anybody, and paid his debt to society.

He did make a mistake and has paid for it dearly with a large chunk of his adult life being locked up. There's other pool players, even Hall of Famers, who have also experienced the same thing, and I don't read about people bashing them or slamming them for their mistake.

One thing for sure, you know who your real friends are when you get sick, get broke, or get locked up. :(

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
i didnt relate it to missing the match. that can happen to anyone and is unrelated.
my comment was to him being addressed as nothing bad to say about him.

he also had a pound of coke in his possession. and probably was doing these deals before. it wasnt likely just a one time mistake.

just because he plays great like all sport heros. i dont think they should get a pass on disgusting things they may have done.

Things were not a clear as what you describe. It is in the past. I just wonder what disgusting things I may have done in my life that I have may have gotten a pass. I know Tony well enough to say he is not a monster, he is a human being with all the frailties. He loves his family and takes care of them.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I believe Tony discovered who his true friends were when he was doing his time. Well, at least he told me that. A lot of people didn't bother to write or help in his time of need, but there were a few people--"friends"--who did keep in touch and support him when he was away, with an emphasis on "few."

As far as him doing the sale of drugs previously, that is wrong. He was actually set up by a fellow pool player who had gotten popped and set Tony up in an effort to have his own conviction reduced to no jail time. Tony was given the proposition by his fellow friend pool player to make a one-time sale and make a large score. I kind of liken it to that lot-of-green shot in one-pocket. Do you go for it and go for the win, or do you play a safety? Tony had knowledge of where to get the large quantity and decided to go for it. He went for the win, the big score. He gambled and got set up, did his time, did not rat out on anybody, and paid his debt to society.

He did make a mistake and has paid for it dearly with a large chunk of his adult life being locked up. There's other pool players, even Hall of Famers, who have also experienced the same thing, and I don't read about people bashing them or slamming them for their mistake.

One thing for sure, you know who your real friends are when you get sick, get broke, or get locked up. :(

The Truth is in this statement.

beatle

Verified Member
i know nothing about how he is now as a person or his life. and my original comment was not aimed back at anyone here. sorry john. it was just pointing out a fact and my opinion of what happened.

for those that think what he did wasnt bad or okay, sorry for you.

if some of that coke ended up in your sons or daughters arm and led to a tragic ending would you feel the same as you do now or when you were rooting for him when he was arrested?

i feel he paid his time and can be part of society again. but his past deed lives on.

and those that think it shouldnt be mentioned by anyone, that is partly condoning it. at least in my mind.

i am ready to let this rest though.

povpool

Verified Member
From
Studio City, CA
I just think if someone has a cross to bare, it's best not to come at him with nails and a hammer.

nuf said

I feel the same way about my own shortcomings...

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
i know nothing about how he is now as a person or his life. and my original comment was not aimed back at anyone here. sorry john. it was just pointing out a fact and my opinion of what happened.

if some of that coke ended up in your sons or daughters arm and led to a tragic ending would you feel the same as you do now or when you were rooting for him when he was arrested?

i feel he paid his time and can be part of society again. but his past deed lives on.

and those that think it shouldnt be mentioned by anyone, that is partly condoning it. at least in my mind.

We may not be so far apart in our thinking. I'll bet we can agree that the two most important things are the actual facts and circumstances of whatever he did in the past, and who/what he is now. I have way too little knowledge of either, and have been guessing based on impressions.

Where I think we disagree quite a lot is about how harmful marijuana is and how much the use of it should be controlled and punished. Either of us could be right or wrong about the first, and I'm a 1%-er on the leave-people-alone scale on those last two. There are some things where I think more-harm-than-good is inevitable when attempts are made to control by force.

I want to think the best of people, but some just make it too hard. :) Tony hasn't made it nearly to "too hard" territory with me.

Peace, out.

J

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa

Tony is not, nor has he ever been a drug dealer. He made a bad decision based on the advice of an unfriendly friend. Tony did his time, the friend.....:rolleyes:

beatle

Verified Member
all good and lets give him the benefit of the doubt. the doubt about how he didnt rat anyone off which seems to make him a stand up guy. well if he was setup by a person and then why was he being mum and protecting no one. if he was setup he wouldnt have anyone to be quiet about. so lots doesnt jive for sure.
he may have been setup by one of his partners so he wasnt a first timer at this, or he wouldnt be the one getting set up by the cops.

and according to the law reports he also had a pound of coke. so he wasnt just selling or delivering some pot. it was hard drugs as well.

but as said he paid his time and life goes on for him. hope he takes advantage of life.

keoneyo

Verified Member
Jeez. The man was judged, sentenced, and paid his fine.
We didnt hear no whining and who shot John.
He took it all like a man and I wish people would stop hypotheticalizing the situation. You weren't there. You dont know all the facts.

It makes me wonder. We like and glorify all these songs and stories about rounders like Billy the Kid, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Merle and Johnny doing time, and glorifying John Gotti and the Corleone family. But when it comes to some kid who messed up people get all sanctified and self righteous.

Let it go and get on with working on your own flaws.

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
jeez. The man was judged, sentenced, and paid his fine.
We didnt hear no whining and who shot john.
He took it all like a man and i wish people would stop hypotheticalizing the situation. You weren't there. You dont know all the facts.

It makes me wonder. We like and glorify all these songs and stories about rounders like billy the kid, butch cassidy and the sundance kid, merle and johnny doing time, and glorifying john gotti and the corleone family. But when it comes to some kid who messed up people get all sanctified and self righteous.

tap, tap, tap

JAM

Verified Member
Jeez. The man was judged, sentenced, and paid his fine.
We didnt hear no whining and who shot John.
He took it all like a man and I wish people would stop hypotheticalizing the situation. You weren't there. You dont know all the facts.

It makes me wonder. We like and glorify all these songs and stories about rounders like Billy the Kid, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Merle and Johnny doing time, and glorifying John Gotti and the Corleone family. But when it comes to some kid who messed up people get all sanctified and self righteous.

Well said, and I agree.

And for anyone who doubts that Tony got set up, well, he most definitely was set up. The person who did it managed to keep himself out of jail for his crime, all because he found somebody, a sucker, for law enforcement to bust. Otherwise, this person would have gone to jail for his crime, which I'm not sure what it was, other than he was a repeat offender. Tony was the sucker.

Tony didn't go out there searching for somebody to sell drugs to. He wasn't drug dealer or seller of drugs. His usual larceny, if I can call it that, was on a field of green, but, hey, all pool players have a bit of larceny in them. Right? In the words of Minnesota Fats: "Ain't Nixon hustling? Ain't he out shaking hands, 24 hours a day, trying to be the President? Hey, ain't everybody hustling? Yeah, everybody's scuffling. You see, there's two different -- there's a scuffler and a hustler. A hustler is one that's always in action and gets it once in a while, see, and a good hustler gets it more often. Then there's a scuffler. He never gets it. Understand? All he ever does is waste his time, gets in everybody's way. You understand? He goes through life, and he's a failure." According to Fats, everybody's got a hustle. :D

Last edited: