efren martinez 46

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
things are slow so
i will put up 2 rafael martinez thread (hope he is doing better )
this one there arent alot of choices

rafaels shot
5-5 score
martinez efren #46.jpg

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I would probably kick at the 6 to pocket it but if I were feeling good I would shoot through those 2 balls with follow and make the 6.

Both of those balls will be by my hole and I may get lucky and make one.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I don't like where the balls are going to end up if I play the carom and follow up on the 6 , plus it is not a gimme for me .
I practice kicking balls in the pockets from all along the rails so kicking the 6 in pocket speed is very high % for me and if I miss and spot a ball , most people will only get 2 out of the mistake and I am still alive. If I break those 2 balls out and leave a bank the games probably over, even with B players.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
The stripe might be makeable rail first, thin off the 5.

The 4 might go as a kiss shot. It must be hit with low spin to put follow on the OB.

But Doc would have to kick at the 6 ball..;)

~Doc

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
the kick is availabke 1 rail ...side rail to the 6 and 2 rails ...head rail /long rail to the 6
how are you kicking and why ??

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
The stripe might be makeable rail first, thin off the 5.

The 4 might go as a kiss shot. It must be hit with low spin to put follow on the OB.

But Doc would have to kick at the 6 ball..;)

~Doc

question for everyone
if you were going to kick at the 6
would you go one rail or 2 (head rail /side rail )and why ?

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
question for everyone

If I was kicking at the six I would go one rail. One, it's easier for me find the proper angle for the kick and two, going two rails your coming straight at that six and there is a good chance to follow in after making the six.

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
With the score tied at 5, I would kick one rail at the 6-ball, unless I was fairly certain to make one of the four balls that are tied up on either side of the long rails.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
question for everyone

If I was kicking at the six I would go one rail. One, it's easier for me find the proper angle for the kick and two, going two rails your coming straight at that six and there is a good chance to follow in after making the six.

me too Frank...

thanks for the reply guys
good explanation frank

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
well once again you have to love rafaels flair
he also decided to go at the 6 ball
but why kick at it when you can just masse around the blockers...:eek:....:D
and leave the cue ball on the 2nd diamond on the head rail....:eek::eek:
martinez efen 46 shot.jpg

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
I agree about one rail being easier to aim, but I don't get how it's more likely you'll follow the 6 in going two rails than one rail...?

pj
chgo

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I agree about one rail being easier to aim, but I don't get how it's more likely you'll follow the 6 in going two rails than one rail...?

pj
chgo

someone else may help explain it better but in my opinion, going one rail, it looks like a smaller angle maybe? I dont know what it is but it would be the same proposition as this:

set the table up like it is, take CB in hand.

shot 1: place the CB starting off near the 2 ball and shoot the 6 (this represents the 1 rail kick)

shot 2: now place the CB over between the spot and the long rail where the 3/4 are now - shoot the 6 (this represents the 2 rail kick)

I feel like the first shot I have less chance to scratch on it because its coming in at an angle that allows me to hit almost any part of the 6 and then the CB could go to the rail. In the second shot example, I feel like there's a better chance that it scratches after making contact on the 6 because of the angle it's coming in on...

I was going to say, "Let Patrick respond since he knows all the math to this stuff...", but ahem, since you are asking, that's the best I got. :)

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
someone else may help explain it better but in my opinion, going one rail, it looks like a smaller angle maybe? I dont know what it is but it would be the same proposition as this:

set the table up like it is, take CB in hand.

shot 1: place the CB starting off near the 2 ball and shoot the 6 (this represents the 1 rail kick)

shot 2: now place the CB over between the spot and the long rail where the 3/4 are now - shoot the 6 (this represents the 2 rail kick)

I feel like the first shot I have less chance to scratch on it because its coming in at an angle that allows me to hit almost any part of the 6 and then the CB could go to the rail. In the second shot example, I feel like there's a better chance that it scratches after making contact on the 6 because of the angle it's coming in on...

I was going to say, "Let Patrick respond since he knows all the math to this stuff...", but ahem, since you are asking, that's the best I got. :)

Very well said Kid. You can scratch with both kicks but the one rail has a smaller change of scratching.

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
well once again you have to love rafaels flair
he also decided to go at the 6 ball
but why kick at it when you can just masse around the blockers...:eek:....:D
and leave the cue ball on the 2nd diamond on the head rail....:eek::eek:
View attachment 22614

I didn't think of this.
I don't think it is necessary in this layout, but this opens my eyes to making sure I am thinking about all the options on a shot.
Cool wwyd.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Must be something genetic with Mexicans. Morro Paez was a phenomenal masse-er. Probably still is..:) I had him totally locked up in a safety playing in a 9-ball match in Reno 20-something years ago. He stepped up, shot straight down on the CB, and did one of those "U" masses to hit his ball. I asked him afterwards what kind of cue tip he used. He said Moori medium; but I don't think it was the tip..;)

~Doc