My Summary of the first annual event

pvclou

Verified Member

You're a great pool player and a great story teller, Jeff. I'd sure like to read more of them. Congratulations again, Tall Jeff.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Thanks so much to the guys who volunteered and put this event on. It was a blast! Disco Dave, Steve, LSJohn, Frank from Lacey’s, etc. I arrived on Friday and Tom W and Jakie were kind enough to grab Steve and I at the airport. (Thanks guys!). We went straight to Lacy’s and Jakie (Nick P) and I played for several hours. What a great battle. Most games went down to the last ball. Then I played the Cincy kid. He trapped me but I lucked out and broke even, leaving exhausted. I had been up since 3:45AM that morning to travel so when I heard that my first opponent, Dick P would be arriving late and we would play Saturday am, I didn’t mind. He arrived sometime after 10:00pm after driving all day just as I was leaving, and we agree that he would hit some balls to check out the tables, and I would pass out. We would meet the next morning at 10:00.

Saturday was a real grind, and I made a tactical mistake which I will need to learn from. I ended up playing 4 full matches on Saturday starting at 10:00am, and ending at 10:00pm and never ate breakfast, lunch, or dinner (Although I did have a bag of peanuts from the vending machine). Just went basically from one match to the next.

When we met in the AM, Dick walked in wearing a tux with his hair slicked back looking like Bogart. Super friendly guy who I liked immediately, until that was, his straight shooting won the first game to go up 1-0. After that I was lucky enough to play tightly and take the next few games to win my first match.

No sooner had I finished than I was told that I was playing Joey A. As was said earlier, I was down 0-2 and was able to grind out a very tough win 3-2. Thanks Joey as I enjoyed that match immensely and am proud to have hung in there against someone as good (and nice) as yourself! It was a real pleasure meeting you.

Then it was over to the front table to play James Christopher, and you know how that went. I started off well, but made some real errors in the later games which cost me the match. In my mind there are two shots which I recall being particularly costly. In the 3rd game James left me near my hole with the 8 ball in the middle and the stack still intact. I banked the 8 off of his long rail back into the stack with a punch stroke to have the cue come to rest on his side of the stack. But what I forgot was that the stack wouldn’t be there after the 8 hit it!, and the cue leaked through too far, selling out and giving James an 8 and out and his first win. Awesome cue ball control btw. Right around then my buddy and roomie Dustin asked me (Gently suggesting) if I had taken a break. I should have listened and regrouped because I was obviously fading, but my ego wouldn’t let me so I continued. I remember one other shot which was a very simple cut on the 5 ball to my hole which I just dogged. UGH. So, james won the next two games and I was sent to the one loss side, to immediately play BRLongarm. By this time I was mush, and Joe sensed it. He shot my nuts off to knock me out. Man that guy banks great.

Things to learn: 1)Eat. At the least bring a protein bar. 2)Don’t be afraid to take a break to have a gut check, regroup and remind myself who the H I think I am lol.

Later that night Dustin and I headed down to the French quarter for an enormous meal and a few miles of walking Bourbon street to soak in the Nawlins experience. That was a blast! It cannot be overstated what a great guy Dustin is. (Even if he has ducked me for 2 years now heh)

Sunday is a blur lol. I played Jeff for a bit on the 10 footer, and wow. That 1 foot made the table look like a football field lol. What I learned and enjoyed watching while playing Jeff was his intensity and focus on every shot. As nice a guy as he is, there is no doubt that he is there to win every time he steps to the table. Thanks for that lesson from a champion. After that I hit balls with George and his road partner. Then I played Matt (MHilton) for a while. We stopped and I asked Bill M (Island Drive) to play, but he didn’t want to play 1P but wanted to play 9 or 10 ball instead. I reluctantly agreed. Bill thought I was giving him the business when I said I was donating, but I showed him lol. He beat me like a rented mule heh. After that, Crabbcat John and I matched up with me giving up 10-8 for several hours, and he played very well and got me 2 games in the end.

Monday my flight didn’t leave until 5 so I habitually went to Lacy’s at 11:00. No one was there but Zack the streamer. He is newer to 1P but we played for a while and he put the stream on again and I took my frustrations out on him lol. Very nice guy btw.

I met and saw so many guys whom I have wanted to hang with or to meet like DOC, Jeff, Bill, John, Ben, Chris, Dick, Joe, Matt, and about 25 more. What a great bunch of guys and a superb venue. There’s a chance that I won’t get to the derby since this was so close, but frankly I don’t care. I would have rather made this tournament. Truly a great time.

Congrats to Jeff, James, Casey, and Tom! I'll be back lol.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
I am so humbled and grateful that so many one pocket players came to Louisiana to play in the first annual tournament. It made my schedule easy and I know so many traveled to come. A summary:

My first match was with Richard Sharp, and Richard was not feeling well. He almost forfeited the match, but agreed to play once a table became available. We were the 31st and 32nd players to play, and had to wait an additional few hours for our first match. Richard is new to one pocket and had his mind on his health, and did not play his best. 3-0.

I then played Bill Rousey, from Southhaven, MS, who is a good player. He and I hit it off right away, and began teasing each other like old friends. I jumped out to a 1-0 win, but then Rousey showed me what he had. I hung my sixth ball in the jaws, and felt comfortable with a 5-1 lead, with one on lay away. Bill quickly ran five to get to six-five, then scratched on my hanger and won the game from there. Bill easily won the fourth game, putting me on the one loss side.

I then played Mobile Mike, who said he was off his game. When we started paying, I saw what he meant. He was having terrible times with the short rail banks, which were banking short and he got disgusted and let me win.

I believe I then played Steve Booth, who is an old school mover and trap artist. I liked our match, as his classic one pocket moving contrasted my more aggressive two way shots. The tables had Steve confounded, and he couldn't figure out the bank angles. Being used to Diamonds and how humidity changes the angles, I had a distinct home field advantage even though I don't play at Lacy's. Steve was game, and showed plenty of knowledge and grit, but in the end, the table had him jarred and I prevailed.

I then played Mitch Brown, from Philadelphia. I had watched him play very well in the first two games of his match with James Christopher, and was looking forward to the challenge. When we began playing, though, I could see that Mitch's batteries were on empty. He was tired, and off his game which I had just seen three hours prior. I started free wheeling on him, and the banks began falling. I think he was relieved it was over, so he could finally get something to eat. Great guy and good player.

Sunday, I was guaranteed 7/8 and drew Jeff Sparks. I had heard that Jeff just began playing one pocket but was a nine ball sharpshooter. He got out to a 2-0 lead on me and I was a little embarrassed at missing easy shots. So I bore down and beat him in the third game. In the fourth game, I need one after he scratched, needing two. The spot shot was not appealing though, as his ball was near his pocket. I have lost too many times trying to be a hero, so I did the percentage play and banked the other ball near my hole. This resulted in a long duel of safeties and banks, with Jeff prevailing on a perfect long rail bank. Jeff was a fierce competitor, but also a gentleman and a truly nice guy.

Overall, I had a very good time at Lacy's playing several guys cheap and just getting to know everyone. Thanks to all that helped put this together, and I look forward to next year, wherever it happens to be. Thanks also to Zach, who streamed the event and allowed me to do some commentary.

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
all the guys that have given their reviews
THANK YOU
it is great to know alittle of the blow by blow descriptions of how the games went down

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I arrived late Wednesday night and went to Lacy's as soon as I got checked in to my motel. Tom Wirth and Ben Smith (Hardmix) were already there in battle so I grabbed a table and hit balls in the general direction of pockets for about 30 minutes. The table was surprisingly slow and the cloth past its expiration date.

Thursday was a social day. I must have played some but spent most of the day catching up with old friends and getting better acquainted with members whom I knew only online.

Friday early afternoon I dodged Casey for about 30 minutes but he finally caught me. The good news is that he agreed to play for 10 Bux. Playing him for 10 Bux even is a better deal for me than getting 9-6 for more. :)

Casey took it easy on me and we broke even after 4 or 6 games. Then Col Bille came up with a big smile on his face. He had challenged me online, saying he'd give 9-7 (might have even been 10-7) but when we got to the table he had an alzheimer's episode. :heh

After I twisted his arm (gently, it was like trying to twist a 4" sapling with my bare hands) he agreed to 9-7. We played cheap and broke even after 4 games.

By the time my first tournament match came around (Fireman KC :eek:) my eyes, or my brain, or my right arm couldn't figure out where the pockets were. I must have played one pretty good game because I did win one, but playing KC is different for me than anyone else I play. I often need to put the CB in a different place than I would against anyone else. (If Brumback wants to play some banks with him, I'll have to consult my Guru to find out which one to bet on. ;)

My first match Saturday on the "one loss side" (we're not supposed to say that other word) was against Matt Hilton. We had a terrific battle (have you ever played "giveaway checkers"?... picture something like that.) I lost the giveaway challenge but won the match.

In the next round I had to play the loser of Mitch Brown (Mkbtank) and Joey A (Augazin). If anyone had offered to take Mitch and bet me a million bux I'd be $999,900 deeper in debt now and I'd have been rushing to the ATM before my banker heard the news.

I tricked Joey A by playing my best game of the weekend in our first game. (Don't get excited, I lost it anyway.) The next two games I'd have been better off closing my eyes on my last stroke. Joey is a brilliant tactician, a very good banker and a straight shooter. I wouldn't need much on the wire or on a money-line to take him against anyone. Shows how hard it is to handicap one pocket: Everybody knows Mitch can't possibly play worth a shit with that stroke.:D

Anyway, after those last two games with Joey I ran to the parking lot, locked my cue in the trunk, and threw the key in the river. I only brought a few $thousand and at my usual $20 a game, I was afraid I would go empty. :frus

What a great weekend with a great group of guys in a roomy, friendly environment. Thanks to all of you (well, some of you who were there know I mean "all but one of you" :eek:) for about as much fun as anyone could have in 3-4 days. You can't name anything I'd rather do than talk about one pocket with Joe Long, Joey A., Jeff Sparks, Tom Wirth, Robert Newkirk and about a dozen more of you. (If you're planning to try to temp me with two high-dollar strippers, just remember that story about the dog who finally caught one of the cars he'd chased all his life.) :p

We gotta do it again.

Last edited:

Richard S

Verified Member
From
Poplarville MS
Great Event

Great Event

The tournament was really enjoyable. The best feature, for me, was the "good vibe" present throughout the attendees. Even though I had an unexpected medical issue, I really enjoyed playing a couple of members early on Friday. Enjoyed meeting LSJohn and playing with my good friend, JoeyA. My match with BRLongarm was a wipeout for me as he can really play. I look forward to seeing him again when I can be more competitive. I am not really new to One Pocket, just not a good player. Actually more of a fan than a player.

IMHO the venue was fabulous.

I bought one of Tom Wirth's books. This ought to be required reading for anyone really interested in OP; really enjoying it.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
The tournament was really enjoyable. The best feature, for me, was the "good vibe" present throughout the attendees. Even though I had an unexpected medical issue, I really enjoyed playing a couple of members early on Friday. Enjoyed meeting LSJohn and playing with my good friend, JoeyA. My match with BRLongarm was a wipeout for me as he can really play. I look forward to seeing him again when I can be more competitive. I am not really new to One Pocket, just not a good player. Actually more of a fan than a player.

IMHO the venue was fabulous.

I bought one of Tom Wirth's books. This ought to be required reading for anyone really interested in OP; really enjoying it.
Richie-- Sorry I missed you, my man! Was looking forward to seeing you, but I didn't come over until midday Saturday. Sounds like you had a good time. I hope your medical issue has resolved. We'll catch you on down the road...;)

~Doc

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
The tournament was really enjoyable. The best feature, for me, was the "good vibe" present throughout the attendees.

Amen, Brother.

Sorry you had to leave early, but I'm glad we got to meet and even play a little.

See you at the next one, if not sooner. (There will be a Senior at Bogies, probably April. Stay tuned. :) )

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
By the way just so everyone knows...giving john 9 to 7 is like beating your head against a concrete wall...I must have drank too many miller lights...I got lucky and broke even...

B

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
By the way just so everyone knows...giving john 9 to 7 is like beating your head against a concrete wall...I must have drank too many miller lights...I got lucky and broke even...

B

Huh. I didn't even see you playing John Smith. ;)

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I arrived late Wednesday night and went to Lacy's as soon as I got checked in to my motel. Tom Wirth and Ben Smith (Hardmix) were already there in battle so I grabbed a table and hit balls in the general direction of pockets for about 30 minutes. The table was surprisingly slow and the cloth past its expiration date.

Thursday was a social day. I must have played some but spent most of the day catching up with old friends and getting better acquainted with members whom I knew only online.

Friday early afternoon I dodged Casey for about 30 minutes but he finally caught me. The good news is that he agreed to play for 10 Bux. Playing him for 10 Bux even is a better deal for me than getting 9-6 for more. :)

Casey took it easy on me and we broke even after 4 or 6 games. Then Col Bille came up with a big smile on his face. He had challenged me online, saying he'd give 9-7 (might have even been 10-7) but when we got to the table he had an alzheimer's episode. :heh

After I twisted his arm (gently, it was like trying to twist a 4" sapling with my bare hands) he agreed to 9-7. We played cheap and broke even after 4 games.

By the time my first tournament match came around (Fireman KC :eek:) my eyes, or my brain, or my right arm couldn't figure out where the pockets were. I must have played one pretty good game because I did win one, but playing KC is different for me than anyone else I play. I often need to put the CB in a different place than I would against anyone else. (If Brumback wants to play some banks with him, I'll have to consult my Guru to find out which one to bet on. ;)

My first match Saturday on the "one loss side" (we're not supposed to say that other word) was against Matt Hilton. We had a terrific battle (have you ever played "giveaway checkers"?... picture something like that.) I lost the giveaway challenge but won the match.

In the next round I had to play the loser of Mitch Brown (Mkbtank) and Joey A (Augazin). If anyone had offered to take Mitch and bet me a million bux I'd be $999,900 deeper in debt now and I'd have been rushing to the ATM before my banker heard the news.

I tricked Joey A by playing my best game of the weekend in our first game. (Don't get excited, I lost it anyway.) The next two games I'd have been better off closing my eyes on my last stroke. Joey is a brilliant tactician, a very good banker and a straight shooter. I wouldn't need much on the wire or on a money-line to take him against anyone. Shows how hard it is to handicap one pocket: Everybody knows Mitch can't possibly play worth a shit with that stroke.:D

Anyway, after those last two games with Joey I ran to the parking lot, locked my cue in the trunk, and threw the key in the river. I only brought a few $thousand and at my usual $20 a game, I was afraid I would go empty. :frus

What a great weekend with a great group of guys in a roomy, friendly environment. Thanks to all of you (well, some of you who were there know I mean "all but one of you" :eek:) for about as much fun as anyone could have in 3-4 days. You can't name anything I'd rather do than talk about one pocket with Joe Long, Joey A., Jeff Sparks, Tom Wirth, Robert Newkirk and about a dozen more of you. (If you're planning to try to temp me with two high-dollar strippers, just remember that story about the dog who finally caught one of the cars he'd chased all his life.) :p

We gotta do it again.

I just have to say something about this man...

LSJohn is what we all should strive to be more like...

This man is genuine, he does, and asks nothing in return...

I can't tell you the number of times he goes out of his way to do the right thing, the gentlemanly thing, the proper thing, and he does this without hesitation, not because someone might be watching, or because it might gain favor, but simply because he is a good man...

LSJohn is not perfect, none of us are, but I can tell you this from the heart, he is a tireless supporter of the game of one pocket and onepocket.org and without him and his sometimes quirky sideways sense of humor, we would all be worse off...

Mr. John Nevin, just wanted you to know that you can't hide that unbridled generosity and that warm wonderful spirit under the radar forever, you have been weighed and found guilty of being one of the good guys...

Thank You...:)

pvclou

Verified Member

Hey, Lou, are you back from Europe yet?

Hope we get to see you at Bogies next month.

Just getting started here, John. Unfortunately for me they mainly play 9 ball with the magic rack, alternate the break, races to 7, and not for money. Never for money. 😴

No one pocket. They've heard of it and they say it's a hard game, but they haven't tried it. I'm getting more into 8ball these days. It's much less boring than magic rack 9 ball.

😅😢😣😖😛

troutmanmo

Verified Member
From
Houston
I just have to say something about this man...

LSJohn is what we all should strive to be more like...

This man is genuine, he does, and asks nothing in return...

I can't tell you the number of times he goes out of his way to do the right thing, the gentlemanly thing, the proper thing, and he does this without hesitation, not because someone might be watching, or because it might gain favor, but simply because he is a good man...

LSJohn is not perfect, none of us are, but I can tell you this from the heart, he is a tireless supporter of the game of one pocket and onepocket.org and without him and his sometimes quirky sideways sense of humor, we would all be worse off...

Mr. John Nevin, just wanted you to know that you can't hide that unbridled generosity and that warm wonderful spirit under the radar forever, you have been weighed and found guilty of being one of the good guys...

Thank You...:)

As much as I dislike saying it...(this cat has been tough on me),I have to agree about your assessment of this character. He really is a good guy and you can't help yourself for liking him because he is lots of fun to be around. He is gonna make you laugh, if not by him saying something ...he certainly will by watching him play (hehe).

At any rate, he did a good job with the tourney,as well as all involved, which was a blast. Everyone I spoke to enjoyed "Nawlins" and we really should do this every year!!