Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > Bank Pool Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2014, 05:12 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Dennis View Post
Efren couldn't Bank his way out of a roomful of trampolines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightback View Post
This is not among your best metaphors. Damn, I knew it

At any rate, Efren's banking, while not ypical of most bank pool players, is usually effective. I noticed he banks with inside English better than most. This means absolutely nothing playing BankPool.

Among all of Efren's skills, I think his control of force and therefore speed is amazing. I know he is rumored to get a lot of that from playing balkline.

I know this going to sound ridiculous to anyone who plays it, but I'll engage in hyperbole to make my point: I've never played it, but having watched about 15 minutes of it, I'm pretty sure I could be the world champion. Not a lot of "cuemanship" going on there. Pretty sure you don't even need chalk.

I digress.
SB,

Not one of your more elucidating posts. The three main facts are these:

1. Efren cannot play BankPool(shot choice & strategy) and has no clue how to.

2. Efren cannot shoot banks when playing BankPool and he'll never know how to. He plays BankPool like he's playing OnePocket.

3. Efren doesn't know how to hit a bank the best way just to simply make the ball and he'll never know.

Dennis
Old 05-01-2014, 11:40 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
SB,

2. Efren cannot shoot banks when playing BankPool and he'll never know how to. He plays BankPool like he's playing OnePocket.

3. Efren doesn't know how to hit a bank the best way just to simply make the ball and he'll never know.

Dennis
[QUOTE=Cowboy Dennis;130345]SB,

I didn't say he did.

I don't disagree.

I don't disagree. I said he was "effective," I didn't say he was Eddie Taylor. He seems to get decent results despite having a most unconventional style of banking. You will recall he has done well at DCC a few times, including coming in second to this short guy that lives a few streets over from me.

"Elucidating" is not an adjective.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:48 AM
Suspended

[quote=straightback;130384]
Quote:
SB,

I didn't say he did.

I don't disagree.

I don't disagree. I said he was "effective," I didn't say he was Eddie Taylor. He seems to get decent results despite having a most unconventional style of banking. You will recall he has done well at DCC a few times, including coming in second to this short guy that lives a few streets over from me.Alex moved to Kentucky???

"Elucidating" is not an adjective.Adjective, noun, transitive verb...they are all the same
Yep, Efren has done better in the BankPool than many Bank players have. He's been in the Semi-Finals once and lost and he's made the Finals twice and lost. Nothing wrong with his record there. I still wouldn't bet a quarter on him playing Banks against a Bank player.

P.S. Don't tell anyone but CatFishBreath likes Irish Whiskey.

Dennis
Old 05-02-2014, 10:17 AM
Verified Member

[quote=Cowboy Dennis;130410]
Quote:

Yep, Efren has done better in the BankPool than many Bank players have. He's been in the Semi-Finals once and lost and he's made the Finals twice and lost. Nothing wrong with his record there. I still wouldn't bet a quarter on him playing Banks against a Bank player.

P.S. Don't tell anyone but CatFishBreath likes Irish Whiskey.

Dennis
I was referring to Nick Varner - Efren lost to him in the finals (might have been semis) of one of the first Derbys. Good example of Efrem not knowing the right shots to shoot. Wouldn't be surprised to learn if the early DCCs were Efren's first times competing in banks.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:58 PM
Suspended

[quote=straightback;130411]
Quote:

I was referring to Nick Varner - Efren lost to him in the finals (might have been semis) of one of the first Derbys. Good example of Efrem not knowing the right shots to shoot. Wouldn't be surprised to learn if the early DCCs were Efren's first times competing in banks.
Efren lost to Varner in the 1999 DCC BankPool Semi-Finals. It's not available on DVD and I haven't seen it. It went 5 games so I would expect that Effren did O.K. but Banks is a funny game. Sometimes the games are close (in a 3/5 tourney) but not really close.

Name:  erbanks1.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  236.8 KB

Name:  erbanks2.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  237.6 KB

Efren also lost to Steve Moore in the Finals in 2007 and Brumback in 2010.

Dennis
Old 05-02-2014, 11:44 PM
Verified Member

This is the match I am talking about. Varner is actually another banker that kinda banks atypically - kinda like Bugs with a lot of draw and English on the banks. However, Nick plays the proper shot much more frequently than Efren. That being said, Nick plays banks not too different than his 1p game.

Okay, Dennis, let's hear you comment on my hometown hero. Can HE play pool?
Old 05-03-2014, 12:09 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Okay, Dennis, let's hear you comment on my hometown hero. Can HE play pool?
Varner shot probably the best bank-shot I ever saw in a 1Pocket match. The next time I run across it I will post it for you.

Varner is probably 3rd on my list of intelligent 1P players, just below Steve Cook and Jeremy Jones.

Dennis
Old 05-03-2014, 12:11 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Varner shot probably the best bank-shot I ever saw in a 1Pocket match. The next time I run across it I will post it for you.

Varner is probably 3rd on my list of intelligent 1P players, just below Steve Cook and Jeremy Jones.

Dennis
WOW... I rarely meet someone who has those exact players in their top 5.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:25 AM
Verified Member

Quote:

Dennis
You talking about the combo > four-railer?
Old 05-03-2014, 12:29 AM
Suspended

Quote:
WOW... I rarely meet someone who has those exact players in their top 5.
There are so many criteria that go into deciding a list like this that it's almost impossible.

1. Pure physical talent.

2. One-Pocket intelligence in shooting & moving.

3. Is he simply a tournament player?

4. Can he play great for cash?

5. Can he play great on his own cash?

6. Does he have his own cash?

7. Does he play well when behind?

8. Does he play well when ahead?

So many so-called "top players" only fit into some of the criteria. I've only seen Varner play on DVD in tournaments so that's all I have to go on, personally. My putting him 3rd on my list reflects this.

Dennis