Steve Moore vs. Efren Reyes 2007 D.C.C.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I've finally found a game that Efren is not expert at. He looks like a fish out of water playing banks. He shoots the wrong shots and plays the wrong safeties quite often. He's quite often uncomfortable looking when shooting a bank that he doesn't have to do anything special with the cueball on. There's hope for the rest of us after all:D. On the other hand, I think this may be the first Bank Pool match I've seen of him, I'm not sure so it's surely not representative of his total Bank Pool knowledge as I'm sure I'll have pointed out to me by his adoring legion of fans. Don't waste your ink boys.

Anyway, it's Efren's shot and he needs one ball to win the game and tie the match at two. What would you do?

CapturedPicture_3.Jpeg

CapturedPicture_2.Jpeg

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I am going to defer for awhile

I am going to defer for awhile

I've finally found a game that Efren is not expert at. He looks like a fish out of water playing banks. He shoots the wrong shots and plays the wrong safeties quite often. He's quite often uncomfortable looking when shooting a bank that he doesn't have to do anything special with the cueball on. There's hope for the rest of us after all:D. On the other hand, I think this may be the first Bank Pool match I've seen of him, I'm not sure so it's surely not representative of his total Bank Pool knowledge as I'm sure I'll have pointed out to me by his adoring legion of fans. Don't waste your ink boys.

Anyway, it's Efren's shot and he needs one ball to win the game and tie the match at two. What would you do?

View attachment 4733

View attachment 4734

I am not going to say anything in the hopes that someone out there might know what to do in this spot. Dems dat dont, should go back to the one pocket side of the room.

Beard

crystal cue

Verified Member
I am not going to say anything in the hopes that someone out there might know what to do in this spot. Dems dat dont, should go back to the one pocket side of the room.

Beard

Ok Freddy Ill give er a whirl,if I could shoot the 8 and draw back to the center diamond without moving the 7 Id do that,if not Id shoot the pink and try to draw back between the first and second diamond....how did I do?

John Brumback

Verified Member

Beard

I would like to be shooting from this spot.It's a gimmie:heh John B.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

Beard

Freddy,

Be forewarned that Billy I. & Danny D. didn't like what Effie shot but they offered no alternative beforehand. Monday morning QB'ing is all they had.

Dennis

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
Defense can be the thin hit on the 7, or get fancy and bump that 8 in and let the 7 come back in front of the CB.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
You didnt do good.

You didnt do good.

Ok Freddy Ill give er a whirl,if I could shoot the 8 and draw back to the center diamond without moving the 7 Id do that,if not Id shoot the pink and try to draw back between the first and second diamond....how did I do?

Why would you want to give you oppo any type of shot if you didnt have to? Plus needing only one ball you must play so that all 3 balls dont get spotted giving the other guy a chance to win. If you knock one in, he should knock another in, spotting up two and bringing the cue ball to the head of the table. The whole idea is to not leave him with a spotted ball for his turn. That would allow him to knock off another of the balls that he needs to get into play in order to win.

You want him to knock in the first ball. That allows you to move the spotted ball off of the spot via a shot or a safety. Denying him an easy chance to knock off another needed ball. I only need one ball. Why would i want to play with more than that?

Beard

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
:D
Dear beer breath,

Thin off of the BROWN 7 BALL and go down table.Iffin he don't do that he don't no bankpool.John from the hills of ky brumback:lol

When you are thinning the 7, does it fall in the hole or hang there? I am assuming you don't want the 7 to fall -- that you are basically trying to leave the same leave, but the cue ball farther away. Is that right? If the 7 ball was threatening to fall in, then I wondered about if the 7 & 8 both would both go, by skimming off the two of them and sending the cue ball upstairs??

Edit -- I see I past posted and still got it wrong. "playing the score" -- oh yeah -- ooops

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Quit...

Quit...

Banks;84533[B said:
]Defense can be the thin hit on the 7[/B], or get fancy and bump that 8 in and let the 7 come back in front of the CB.

...while you are ahead. You were right the first time. Thin hit, moving the cue ball as far away as possible without making the 7 or the 8 ball.

I am assuming that is what Brumback meant when he said to thin off of the 7. He didnt add that you should not make the 7! I am pretty sure that is what he meant. That is what you meant to say, right John?

Beard

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Worst possible shot.

Worst possible shot.

When you are thinning the 7, does it fall in the hole or hang there? I am assuming you don't want the 7 to fall -- that you are basically trying to leave the same leave, but the cue ball farther away. Is that right? If the 7 ball was threatening to fall in, then I wondered about if the 7 & 8 both would both go, by skimming off the two of them and sending the cue ball upstairs??

Edit -- I see I past posted and still got it wrong. "playing the score" -- oh yeah -- ooops

If you knock off the 7 and 8 then your oppo can now knock off the remaining out of play ball and put every needed ball into play.

BEard

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

Be careful when answering John, Steve may have seen this match with a VIP:D.

CapturedPicture_11.Jpeg

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Be careful when answering John, Steve may have seen this match with a VIP:D.

View attachment 4743
I don't remember the shots, but I do remember who wins and I have the pics to prove it, lol...

John Brumback

Verified Member
...while you are ahead. You were right the first time. Thin hit, moving the cue ball as far away as possible without making the 7 or the 8 ball.

I am assuming that is what Brumback meant when he said to thin off of the 7. He didnt add that you should not make the 7! I am pretty sure that is what he meant. That is what you meant to say, right John?

Beard

Yes Mr.Beard,That's what I meant.I don't think the 7 would go In If you wanted It to.I would not make the 7 In other words.John B.

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
Why would you want to give you oppo any type of shot if you didnt have to?

I only need one ball. Why would i want to play with more than that?

Beard

That first part is what would make me thin the 8. I try to tell my friends that even if something looks easy, it becomes a bit trickier when you're trying for small feats from a distance. Looking at the set up, I was curious if the 8 would be able to cover the spotted ball while removing any fair chance at a bank, to put 2 in play without giving up a shot. I know I tend to screw up more when trying to do more than one thing at a time, but these kinds of things are something I've been working on.

The second part runs counter to what I try to keep in mind, in opening up as many balls as possible so that your opponent does not sit there and whittle away at the lead one ball at a time. Since the other 2 are in the jaws(iirc), would it be the strategy that even if he did make one, he'd be forced to spot up one of the others for his next shot? Or does that strategy work best when a bigger lead is there?

Thanks

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Dont you get it?

Dont you get it?

That first part is what would make me thin the 8. I try to tell my friends that even if something looks easy, it becomes a bit trickier when you're trying for small feats from a distance. Looking at the set up, I was curious if the 8 would be able to cover the spotted ball while removing any fair chance at a bank, to put 2 in play without giving up a shot. I know I tend to screw up more when trying to do more than one thing at a time, but these kinds of things are something I've been working on.

The second part runs counter to what I try to keep in mind, in opening up as many balls as possible so that your opponent does not sit there and whittle away at the lead one ball at a time. Since the other 2 are in the jaws(iirc), would it be the strategy that even if he did make one, he'd be forced to spot up one of the others for his next shot? Or does that strategy work best when a bigger lead is there?

Thanks

With one ball on the table if you make it the game is over, you win. If he makes it he has to knock off one of the hanging balls and give you first shot at the cheese. Trust me, it is a very strong advantage.

Beard