Efren at Santa Monica - Played Magdy

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
In pool, how big is the pie?

I'd think it's like when I went to a famous restaurant in San Francisco and ordered an appetizer to share with my date. When it came, it was maybe literally just one bite size, too small to cut/share so I let her have it (hoping the good will would payback in something else afterward). She enjoyed it and I got screwed.

As far as I know, these things are streamed free on YouTube with no PPV revenue so what is there to share? I would think Daniel makes a bit on donation and ads on the streams which might be fair comp for his service and I wouldn't think it's all that much.

Daniel helps set these matches up for Efren and streams them at no cost. Efren has made more than a little $$ from them. If anyone deserves any jelly it is Daniel and POV.

baby huey

Verified Member
I'm glad that Daniel streams matches for us to watch. Efren is one of the few players that will play just about anyone for even small bets. So in many ways Effen and Daniel are a lot alike. Daniel has a passion for the game and he tries to eek out a living streaming these matches. I sometimes wonder if even the more affluent streaming sites also have a problem turning a profit. Now back to my match with Efren, I got drilled period the end and loved every minute of it. The next best thing to playing and winning is playing. Well, maybe I didn't love it all that much......but it was fun.

keoneyo

Verified Member
No one, at least Doc and I, are not laying anything negative about Daniel. He is doing a great service to us and we applaud his passion. I have even made some donations to his stream.

Im not going to go for any controversy here. Im saying Efren has every right to determine how he is produced. Unlike famous musicians he doesnt have the luxury of a record deal or a concert tour to build his coffers. All he has is match games. He has a right to say if he wants to be streamed or not. Its his talent we are looking at. He has the right to disperse it as he sees fit.

Heres another analogy. Suppose somehow the Ghost became a famous personality and the match between The Ghost and Hendy became a popular collectiblile item. The famous Ghost vs The Super Seniors champ. The DVD makes a profit of $20K. And sells for eternity. Wouldnt you want a piece of it?

Efren is that famous in the world and particularly in Asia. But this is my take and I dont hate on his handlers. He has a few years left in this world of pool and he should profit from his talent as he sees fit.

Now for back to the theme of the thread. This Thursday the 16th Magdy will have a return match with Efren. They broke even the last time and Efren will be coming with all guns blazing. For Efren breaking even is losing. Time and money. For his opponent breaking even is winning.

povpool

Verified Member
From
Studio City, CA
Respectfully, I am not hating on the handlers either. Brook Thomason, Tony Torres and Rolando Vicente are all good people who, do their part to set up matches and get Efren the action he's looking for. But in the case of the matches we have streamed with Efren playing, 90% of them were all booked by POV and approved by both Efren, Brook, Tony. Granted, some of them were a little tough for Efren like Teyachea, Lassek and Pettipiece however, we filled the house with spectators and random players wanting to line up and play Efren because of it. POV does not get paid by the house, either.

I am not upset with Efren for his decision to hold off on this approach. I'm just frustrated that somebody would advocate to Efren that we are somehow taking money out of his pocket. To us it's a fair trade and we have always welcomed Efren to showcase any of his sponsors as well. In the case that somebody wants to play Efren 'off camera' we also respect this request, even during the promotional period that we announce his stay. When we announce these events, we never promise that EVERY match will be streamed or that it will be some kind of blockbuster broadcast. Efren or his opponents are always allowed to take their match to a table that's not being streamed. And, by the way, Bradley Fleming asked that his match with Efren not be put on YouTube and he asked me for a copy, which I gave him.

Also, in the case that any of you feel that Efren has ownership rights to our intellectual property and our broadcasts, this is not completely correct. In the case of further monetization, the talent does have some rights, but it's not really ownership. We do however, respect the request of Puyat Sports, Efren Reyes and his 'handlers' by NOT seeking any additional monetization or distribution of assets outside of YouTube. If this were the case, POV would go to great lengths to structure a royalty agreement with not only Efren but also with their opponent on camera. This is actually going to be the case with the upcoming Busty/Chohan match in Las Vegas. Besides the fact that Busty and Chohan are being paid to appear for this exclusive Pay Per View event, POV is agreeing to hold this match back from YouTube and we will structure a royalty agreement to the players when we sell this match months later. This being said, our viewers should not assume that they should miss this event, expecting it to be seen on YouTube later because it wont be available.

Promotional Note:
Watching Busty vs Chohan LIVE, gives viewers the added benefit of receiving one of our free gifts and being entered into a Tiger Classic 2 Cue drawing. I would also like to point out that, events such as these are few and far between for us and we are doing what we can to give back to the players, the rooms and to the viewers in every case. Please support our Pay Per View event, by visiting: www.POVPOOL.com/Action

To sum up my thoughts, in the past 5 years POVPool has done a successful job in promoting our sport, the rooms, many players and various games and companies. We have not been perfect in this endeavor and we do not profess to be. The business of streaming and broadcast rights are still at issue when it comes to the internet. Some have suggested that POV become transparent and report our earnings to the world but honestly, I believe this is a private matter that would only misguide the public anyway (Especially some pool players, who have no business acumen). I thoroughly believe that players like Efren will come back to work with us and I still consider him a friend and mentor of the sport. I actually appreciate his point of view because it gives me food for thought, "Why not position POV Pool to make more money instead of settling for peanuts?" In this manner, maybe POV can structure some agreeable deals with the players and rooms. I just have solve or overcome a little riddle here: "It takes money to make money."

Best to All and Keep Loving Pool!

Last edited: