Thoughts on the members tourney

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
IMHO
The dates for having the tourney need to be decided first, don't they? Then getting permission to play in a certain pool room on those dates should be next, right? I mean why bother with a poll of pool rooms that might not welcome us!

If enough members are serious again this year, ( at least 32 ) and this event is really going to happen, we must know the dates on which it is to be held, so the members can decide if they can attend... Correct? Then we need willing hosts, room owners that will welcome us and our tournament... Then we should be able to get a real count on members who would play in the tournament, if their room of choice won the final poll of the 2 or 3 rooms that welcomed our tournament... Sound about right?

So, who are the LSJohn's this year, and will take on the responsibilities of organizing this event, setting the dates, and finding receptive room owners?

Nothing happens until somebody goes to work... Who's are you dis year???

mhilton777

Verified Member
From
Rosemount, MN
IMHO
The dates for having the tourney need to be decided first, don't they? Then getting permission to play in a certain pool room on those dates should be next, right? I mean why bother with a poll of pool rooms that might not welcome us!

If enough members are serious again this year, ( at least 32 ) and this event is really going to happen, we must know the dates on which it is to be held, so the members can decide if they can attend... Correct? Then we need willing hosts, room owners that will welcome us and our tournament... Then we should be able to get a real count on members who would play in the tournament, if their room of choice won the final poll of the 2 or 3 rooms that welcomed our tournament... Sound about right?

So, who are the LSJohn's this year, and will take on the responsibilities of organizing this event, setting the dates, and finding receptive room owners?

Nothing happens until somebody goes to work... Who's are you dis year???

The date definitely needs to be set to make sure it works for a room owner's schedule. Myself and my beautiful wife Lizz can definitely take charge of running the tourney as we have already offered to do so. Wherever it is, I look forward to seeing you again Mr. Sparks!!!

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Jeff ya hit the nail on the head. You have to build any venue from the back to the front. You all decide on when, and I'll gladly talk to the where for us all....but we first need he DATE.
This is an area of my working background that I'm good with, having run auto/truck/motor home repair service centers for 17 yr. and negotiating and following thru are at my core, as is my word. My dad beat it into me.....

May is good and late Sept are good dates. Nothing going on, since BCA changed to the summer and US Open is not in Sept, and in Sept. leagues are usually not up and running yet and Labor day has passed, and family life has returned to normal.

Last edited:

Cory in dc

Verified Member
The date definitely needs to be set to make sure it works for a room owner's schedule. Myself and my beautiful wife Lizz can definitely take charge of running the tourney as we have already offered to do so. Wherever it is, I look forward to seeing you again Mr. Sparks!!!

Thanks! I'll gladly vote for you and Lizz to be in charge. I'm likely to come and don't care too much where it is. I do like the idea of moving around the country and having 16 tables, but neither is anything close to a deal breaker for me.

You'll probably find that you can only absorb so much consensus before you have to make some executive decisions. Heavy lies the crown...

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Well as the onepocket.org administrator it falls on me when an executive decision needs to be made, so here it is -- mhilton777 and his beautiful wife will be the treasurer and tournament director. I will work closely with them of course.

So this is settled, and thank you very much for your generous volunteering -- on top of the event shirts you have already taken on!!

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Thoughts on the members tourney

Well as the onepocket.org administrator it falls on me when an executive decision needs to be made, so here it is -- mhilton777 and his beautiful wife will be the treasurer and tournament director. I will work closely with them of course.

So this is settled, and thank you very much for your generous volunteering -- on top of the event shirts you have already taken on!!

Thank you Matt!!

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas

Many thanks to Lizz & Matt for volunteering... Wishing you success in organizing and running the second annual onepocket.org members one pocket tournament... Looking forward to seeing you both again... :)

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
Do it in Phoenix and I can stream it or it can be streamed in one of the 4 rooms I have permanent set ups in. Bull Shooters ideally would be the room or Kolbys.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Just when putting the cart before the horse was turning out to be such a cluster bomb someone actually comes out with a logical plan. Oh no Mr Bill!:lol:lol

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Do we call Milton, Mr Milton? I believe that if Mr Milton would contact some rooms to play, that would be choice number one. Malarkeys in Tacoma has enough tables to do a tournament and he is set up to stream. California Billiards is probably the nicest room in the country and he would be open. Lenny has four rooms in Phoenix. Tacoma and Phoenix have rooms that are reasonable. Find a room where the tournament can be held and when it can be held. If it is held on the West Coast, you will find plenty of players. I will not fly to the east coast for a two day tournament. That means four days for those playing from the Best coast. Two days of flying, two days to play. 👎

mhilton777

Verified Member
From
Rosemount, MN
Do we call Milton, Mr Milton? I believe that if Mr Milton would contact some rooms to play, that would be choice number one. Malarkeys in Tacoma has enough tables to do a tournament and he is set up to stream. California Billiards is probably the nicest room in the country and he would be open. Lenny has four rooms in Phoenix. Tacoma and Phoenix have rooms that are reasonable. Find a room where the tournament can be held and when it can be held. If it is held on the West Coast, you will find plenty of players. I will not fly to the east coast for a two day tournament. That means four days for those playing from the Best coast. Two days of flying, two days to play. 👎

Bill,

It is Matt Hilton!!! Mr. Hilton is my dad, so you can just call me Matt.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
suggestion

suggestion

As mentioned before we need a date poll first. I would do a quick survey thread of dates people would prefer. Put a time limit on the survey. Suggest your preferred time periods in the survey in two week intervals. No additional dates will be accepted after survey thread expires. Take the dates suggested in the thread and start a poll. Vote as many of the poll dates as will work for you. Put a time limit on the poll.

Cities /states that have spoken up. We seem to get new suggestions every few days so sooner or later we will have to have a viable final poll that lists all our options. Its my understanding this is designed as a verified members only tournament and we have to draw enough members to have one.
SO far as i have seen it;
California, Phoneix, Pa., Chicago, Ohio, NOLA, Minn. Do a final survey/poll same as above
I suggest limiting the options you can vote for at 2 if that's possible on this poll, that would give us a general region people are willing to travel too. I would suggest you ask people not to vote on a area if they can't make it on the dates chosen.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
As mentioned before we need a date poll first. I would do a quick survey thread of dates people would prefer. Put a time limit on the survey. Suggest your preferred time periods in the survey in two week intervals. No additional dates will be accepted after survey thread expires. Take the dates suggested in the thread and start a poll. Vote as many of the poll dates as will work for you. Put a time limit on the poll.

Cities /states that have spoken up. We seem to get new suggestions every few days so sooner or later we will have to have a viable final poll that lists all our options. Its my understanding this is designed as a verified members only tournament and we have to draw enough members to have one.
SO far as i have seen it;
California, Phoneix, Pa., Chicago, Ohio, NOLA, Minn. Do a final survey/poll same as above
I suggest limiting the options you can vote for at 2 if that's possible on this poll, that would give us a general region people are willing to travel too. I would suggest you ask people not to vote on a area if they can't make it on the dates chosen.
Can't do two but can definitely do multiple choice.

As much as I think some of the polls that have been posted so far maybe seem inadequate once our members start delving more into them, I think they all serve a purpose for preliminary preference.

A lot is going to come down to the particular room owner -- they may have some date preferences themselves for example. Or different dates might change their green fee needs because of how busy the room might already be without us, for another example.

The next time we do a room poll, I think it needs to be multiple choice, and each room owner has to have already been contacted so we have a clear understanding of what that location will mean in terms of dates, green fees, tables -- and of course that the room owner is willing to host us!! I think different members here who know the room management that they want to advocate for could contact that room and see what they say about the idea of hosting us. If it doesn't come through for them this year, there is always next year and the year after that.

I don't think we need 16 tables as an absolute -- we did not have that at Lacy's and there were plenty of tables for both tournament and match-ups.

I also think we should commit to the idea of moving this event around the country if we can find the hosts and we can fill the field (32). It's only fair to our diverse membership. No offense to Lacy's or the next room to host us, because Lacy's was definitely a great host room!!!

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Can't do two but can definitely do multiple choice.

As much as I think some of the polls that have been posted so far maybe seem inadequate once our members start delving more into them, I think they all serve a purpose for preliminary preference.

A lot is going to come down to the particular room owner -- they may have some date preferences themselves for example. Or different dates might change their green fee needs because of how busy the room might already be without us, for another example.

The next time we do a room poll, I think it needs to be multiple choice, and each room owner has to have already been contacted so we have a clear understanding of what that location will mean in terms of dates, green fees, tables -- and of course that the room owner is willing to host us!! I think different members here who know the room management that they want to advocate for could contact that room and see what they say about the idea of hosting us. If it doesn't come through for them this year, there is always next year and the year after that.

I don't think we need 16 tables as an absolute -- we did not have that at Lacy's and there were plenty of tables for both tournament and match-ups.

I also think we should commit to the idea of moving this event around the country if we can find the hosts and we can fill the field (32). It's only fair to our diverse membership. No offense to Lacy's or the next room to host us, because Lacy's was definitely a great host room!!!

We can just consider those threads preliminary surveys and now have the tournament director post final survey threads. I don't see a need for long surveys as we have a good idea what we need now.

I agree with tables and traveling it also. I decided a while back to make my own tournament traveling after this year even though it will still be local. Hey, did you get your t-shirt?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
No offense to anyone who has started any polls, but I would like to be consulted before any more are posted. I think maybe I can help with some of the details so that the polls that are posted will ultimately be more useful and attract more votes.

I also strongly believe multiple choice is necessary -- just about whatever the question is, because the bottom line is that many of us will come, wherever it is held (within reason of course) and whenever it is (within reason of serious personal conflicts and a couple of obvious event conflicts -- DCC & Bogies Senior & the US Open 1P), with whatever 9' tables, available food or type of cue ball. Maybe not color of cloth, though lol.