1st Tourney *help!*

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
Decided to pull the trigger and paid my $100 entry for this weekend's Topwater Memorial 1p tournament @ bogies in Houston.
This will be my first larger tournament that's not just a local weekly or monthly thing.
Any guidance on preparation recommendations? Both on the table and off?
I really need to figure out how to strengthen my mental game and composure.
Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Also, let me know if you're going. Would love to meet some more members.

GoldCrown

Verified Member
Decided to pull the trigger and paid my $100 entry for this weekend's Topwater Memorial 1p tournament @ bogies in Houston.
This will be my first larger tournament that's not just a local weekly or monthly thing.

Go ...Relax and have fun. Roll with it (no pun). You'll learn as you go along.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
good luck.
:)

(i'm the last to give any kind of advice (and should follow some of my own...lol), but its kind of on oddball thing....stick a granola/breakfast/meal bar of some kind in your case. its amazing just what a couple bites of food will do for you decision making/focus when you get busy and haven't eaten all day)

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Hey nito, I'm about 70 percent making the drive to Houston on Thursday. Col. Billie should be there Thursday also.

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
Thanks for the advice, all.
Glad to see a couple of members will be there.

If the creek don't rise, I'll be there Thursday also.
Don't jinx us! Also thanks for reminding me i need to renew my flood insurance.

Hey nito, I'm about 70 percent making the drive to Houston on Thursday. Col. Billie should be there Thursday also.
Hope you can make it.

poolisboring

Verified Member
From
toledo
get some good sleep and drink lots of water--make sure you eat-- if i do these things, i always play well--especially the sleeping part......

BRLongArm

Verified Member

In short races, it is very important to check the table you are going to play on before breaking.

1. Find the pocket that is best to break to.
2. Practice breaking to ensure to you don't sell out your break. In a short race, that means so much.
3. Practice lagging for the break. The winning lagger has a big edge in a short race.
4. Remember that ducking when you should have shot is a small mistake. Shooting when you should have ducked can be a game ending mistake.

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
In short races, it is very important to check the table you are going to play on before breaking.

1. Find the pocket that is best to break to.
2. Practice breaking to ensure to you don't sell out your break. In a short race, that means so much.
3. Practice lagging for the break. The winning lagger has a big edge in a short race.
4. Remember that ducking when you should have shot is a small mistake. Shooting when you should have ducked can be a game ending mistake.

Awesome! Short and sweet things I can remember.
Thanks!

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Looks like I'll have to bow out of the tournament. My back and left hip are still bothering me. My body just isn't ready yet:(

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I met sneaky, his dad, and brother at Bogies. A good crew to hang with.

Sneaky had me fooled. Something about the quality of his contributions here had made me guess that he was considerably older than he is (I'm guessing he's 25-30.)

Bright, courteous, friendly, handsome, and plays a good game of 1P too. He'd be quite a catch for some young lady (if it weren't for the 1P. :heh )

I also enjoyed visiting with my arch-villain buddy Tyler Bob Valliere and his wife June. June, by the way, is not just a casual spectator... she knows some one pocket! Bob picked my pocket again, but it wasn't his fault. :p

Last edited:

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
I met sneaky, his dad, and brother at Bogies. A good crew to hang with.

Sneaky had me fooled. Something about the quality of his contributions here had made me guess that he was considerably older than he is (I'm guessing he's 25-30.)

Bright, courteous, friendly, handsome, and plays a good game of 1P too. He'd be quite a catch for some young lady (if it weren't for the 1P. :heh )

I also enjoyed visiting with my arch-villain buddy Tyler Bob Valliere and his wife June. June, by the way, is not just a casual spectator... she knows some one pocket! Bob picked my pocket again, but it wasn't his fault. :p
I had you fooled!? I was timidly searching the pool room for the 6'6" - 375 pounder that is LSJohn :D

It was a pleasure meeting you, TylerBob (and his wife, June!), and Col. Billie.
Unfortunately I only got the opportunity to warm up with Bob for a bit. Hopefully next time I'll get the chance to play with you guys.

I did want to commend Col Billie on his great performance against Richie Rich.
The Colonel was banking like a machine and had poor Richie stuck like a turtle on a fence post. Great shooting Billie.

As for my performance, I feel I could have done a bit better.
First match I started off strong and jumped ahead 2-0. I managed to win but let it get to hill-hill first.
Second match it seemed like every game i'd jump ahead and then let them slip through my fingers. Lost that one 3-1. This one I felt I was capable of winning if I had played tighter.
My last match was against James Davis Jr.(I played the winner of your match with him, LSJohn), and I had little hope the way he was shooting. He really came with some great shots out of traps I had put him in and manufactured some great 8 and outs that didn't look there. He beat me 3-0 and deserved it. I watched him play Joyner immediately after and he took him 3-0 as well.

The next one is Nov 30th, so I have a lot of time to practice until then.
Thanks to all who gave advice.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I had you fooled!? I was timidly searching the pool room for the 6'6" - 375 pounder that is LSJohn :D

It was a pleasure meeting you, TylerBob (and his wife, June!), and Col. Billie.
Unfortunately I only got the opportunity to warm up with Bob for a bit. Hopefully next time I'll get the chance to play with you guys.

I did want to commend Col Billie on his great performance against Richie Rich.
The Colonel was banking like a machine and had poor Richie stuck like a turtle on a fence post. Great shooting Billie.

As for my performance, I feel I could have done a bit better.
First match I started off strong and jumped ahead 2-0. I managed to win but let it get to hill-hill first.
Second match it seemed like every game i'd jump ahead and then let them slip through my fingers. Lost that one 3-1. This one I felt I was capable of winning if I had played tighter.
My last match was against James Davis Jr.(I played the winner of your match with him, LSJohn), and I had little hope the way he was shooting. He really came with some great shots out of traps I had put him in and manufactured some great 8 and outs that didn't look there. He beat me 3-0 and deserved it. I watched him play Joyner immediately after and he took him 3-0 as well.

The next one is Nov 30th, so I have a lot of time to practice until then.
Thanks to all who gave advice.

Sounds like you had a good time and that's all that matters right? :)

You do have me intrigued now to hear about the Colonel's run in with RR....do tell Bille! :D (PM me if it's too private hehe)