one pocket takeout

Wayne

Verified Member
I was watching a video of one of my one pocket matches from last month's tournament and I couldn't believe I shot the shot I did. Please take a look and tell me what you think.

Go to: new one pocket matches on Pov pool thread. Match part 2 Danny Olsen vs Wayne Pullen

Go to: 1 hour 41 minute mark to see Olsen's bank and then my shot follows.

(sorry: I know if I was more computer savvy I could post it all here but maybe someone else can do that)
Thanks, Wayne

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I was watching a video of one of my one pocket matches from last month's tournament and I couldn't believe I shot the shot I did. Please take a look and tell me what you think.

Go to: new one pocket matches on Pov pool thread. Match part 2 Danny Olsen vs Wayne Pullen

Go to: 1 hour 41 minute mark to see Olsen's bank and then my shot follows.

(sorry: I know if I was more computer savvy I could post it all here but maybe someone else can do that)
Thanks, Wayne

Sorry not very savvy either, only found March matches. Not what you wanted.
Rod.:sorry

Wayne

Verified Member
That was probably the greatest take-out I've ever seen! I suppose the 4" pockets made it possible. You WERE trying to take it out, right?;)

~Doc

Absolutely going for the takeout. 4" diamond pockets with a deep shelf. You have to hit it hard with low left hand English and cut it the little bit available. (Also a prayer helps)

Wayne

Verified Member
Now that's what I call a magic shot. Was it an illusion? It was so good I had to say it twice.

There is an old instructional tape of Grady's that I watched many years ago where he explains exactly how to do deep takeouts. I have startled a lot of players using this technique. 90 per cent of the players I play just give me a ball that could be taken out (not nearly as deep as this one)

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Absolutely going for the takeout. 4" diamond pockets with a deep shelf. You have to hit it hard with low left hand English and cut it the little bit available. (Also a prayer helps)

Deep shelf may be more important than the prayer. :)

Great shot.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
First of all, nice shot and nice recognition of how the rules change with pocket size and pocket opening.

Why don't we use this thread to discuss takeouts - like a lot of specialty shots, it seems the takeout has become almost extinct, with players preferring to give up a ball and maintain a semblance of control versus risk taking the ball out and something bad happening. In fact, the only time you are likely to see it is when their man is on the hill with 7 and a ball hanging.

There are some older gentlemen I play from time to time, and I notice them cleaning my pocket better than a lot of the younger, straighter shooters.

So, fellas, why don't we discuss what we know? Like Wayne, the only treatment I've ever seen is Grady's video...

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Fascinating video, SB. Those shots really take a stoke! Obviously the draw is the workhorse here. I've seen that shot made before, but I've never had the guts to try it in a match. My old draw stroke probably wouldn't get 'er done anyway.

I don't know if Grady's tapes are still available, or whether perhaps some of his take-outs are viewable on YouTube; but to my memory, none of the take-outs he demonstrated were as deep in the hole as was Wayne's.

~Doc