Cue length

HillCountryBill

Verified Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2009
Messages
543
From
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
I’ve lengthened my cue from a 58” to 62”. I find that it keeps me from reaching for the butt of the cue and I’m placing my stroking hand at a better balance point. I’m 6’3” and always had a tendency to reach for the butt of the cue which affected my stroke.
 

rich htx

Verified Member
Joined
Feb 11, 2016
Messages
1,289
From
Houston TX
60 inches my one player is actually
A fantastic hitting titleist by cues directly
 
Last edited:

youngstown

Verified Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2015
Messages
1,750
Cue length

I was shooting with a 29” butt and a 30” shaft, and using a 4” extension, then when I made my 60” cue I stopped using the extension. If I ever start using an extension again it’ll be with a very light cue because anything over 19 or 19.5 oz feels too heavy for me to have a proper touch...just noticeable for the touchy shots mostly, but I’ve noticed it...so if I make a lighter 16.5 or 17 oz cue then that might work out for me, since most joint extensions are around 2 oz
 

Bmoretallpaul

Verified Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2018
Messages
212
I was shooting with a 29” butt and a 30” shaft, and using a 4” extension, then when I made my 60” cue I stopped using the extension. If I ever start using an extension again it’ll be with a very light cue because anything over 19 or 19.5 oz feels too heavy for me to have a proper touch...just noticeable for the touchy shots mostly, but I’ve noticed it...so if I make a lighter 16.5 or 17 oz cue then that might work out for me, since most joint extensions are around 2 oz

I play with a schon cue, 29inch butt with 32inch shafts. Total 61inches. I am a tall fellow of 76inches so even that cue is a little short for me. I talked to some cue makers about making a 64inch cue but they seem to back away. I will try the super billiards expo this year to see if someone can accommodate
 

youngstown

Verified Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2015
Messages
1,750
Cue length

I play with a schon cue, 29inch butt with 32inch shafts. Total 61inches. I am a tall fellow of 76inches so even that cue is a little short for me. I talked to some cue makers about making a 64inch cue but they seem to back away. I will try the super billiards expo this year to see if someone can accommodate



Making a 64” cue isn’t a big deal, but you’d need a custom case...or you could just pick up a mid extension and use a regular case...if you’ve tried that and don’t like the hit, could try a rear extension. If that’s too heavy then prepare to dish out some dough. The downside of making something like that is that it won’t hold value or resell well because it’s non standard. You could always resell the extensions if you don’t like them.
 
Last edited:

HillCountryBill

Verified Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2009
Messages
543
From
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
Did you get a special case made?

No, I’m using a 4” mid cue extension. I’ve only used it for a month. There doesn’t seem to be any significan deflection but I don’t have many shots in one pocket that require me to shoot at warp speed. I’m playing with a Jerry Olivier sneaky pete with one of Olivier’s low deflection shafts.
 

youngstown

Verified Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2015
Messages
1,750
Cue length

No, I’m using a 4” mid cue extension. I’ve only used it for a month. There doesn’t seem to be any significan deflection but I don’t have many shots in one pocket that require me to shoot at warp speed. I’m playing with a Jerry Olivier sneaky pete with one of Olivier’s low deflection shafts.



I feel like I can get used to anything with 2 solid weeks of practice. Doesn’t mean I’ll like it though. As far as deflection goes, if a mid extension is causing deflection then your bridging it wrong, 🤣. (I don’t see how anything below your bridge hand can affect the cue ball. Maybe you just meant noticeable grip hand vibration though, which makes more sense.)
 

HillCountryBill

Verified Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2009
Messages
543
From
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
I feel like I can get used to anything with 2 solid weeks of practice. Doesn’t mean I’ll like it though. As far as deflection goes, if a mid extension is causing deflection then your bridging it wrong, 🤣. (I don’t see how anything below your bridge hand can affect the cue ball. Maybe you just meant noticeable grip hand vibration though, which makes more sense.)

No, I don’t have grip hand vibration. If anything the weight is noticibly heavier and the balance point has changed. I prefer the added weight. I play once a week for 3 1/2 to 4 hours so I need more time to evaluate the extension.
 

crabbcatjohn

Moderator
Joined
Nov 30, 2014
Messages
5,927
From
Benton, Ky.
Did you get a special case made?

Jb cases fit 62" cues. I've got one of the first 30" Jacoby Black shafts coming soon. Should be interesting to see how a 30" carbon fiber with a long taper plays. I'ts susposed to being made today, hoping to get it in a few days before Southaven but I dont think it will get here in time...
Now, if you need to go longer, you could get you a super light 16" carbon fiber rear extension like I made for my cue...lol
 

Attachments

  • 20190325_194831.jpg
    20190325_194831.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 0
Top