the subtlety of one-pocket.

sunnyone

Verified Member
From
nyc
the other night, airplane-reading, i came across a quote from jorge mario pedro vargas llosa.

he was referring to the mission of a novel and said something like this, ‘to express a curious truth that can only be expressed in a concealed way, disguised as something it is not.’

this -- pool-ignorant as i am -- made me think of one-pocket on a few levels.

> the game itself, of course. the feints, the misdirections, the traps. the lemon.

> the wagers. 10 - 5 -- if i have followed the discussions correctly -- favors the better player more than, say, 7 - 3. (the operative algorithm being that the more balls the lesser player has to make, the better for his opponent. yes? no?) of course, money odds, who has the breaks, the length of the match, the type of table, the room, the cloth, the rails, the humidity, etc. can all figure into the match-up equation. humidity!

> the masking of character ... inner strengths, revealed slowly, later in the match. the will to win may not be paraded in prematch negotiations, but over time -- in resolve-draining torture. (well, ‘torture’ may be a tad strong, word-wise. or maybe not?)

okay ... once vargas llosa popped into my tapioca of a brain, i may have stretched the point to make a point.

dumbing down nobel prize laureates is my life,

sunny