Match up preference question

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Joined
May 25, 2004
Messages
10,230
From
Ghosttown
Since things are pretty slow on here lately, I'll throw something up that's a little different...

Here's a match-up-choice question that I thought about - I'm curious which choice you guys would pick, and why...

The situation is, hypothetically, that you've got a stakehorse giving you $3,000 to play just one race to 6 games with your choice of one of the following three willing opponents >>>

Opponent #1. He plays EXACTLY even with you, and you would be playing him even.

Opponent #2. He plays EXACTLY 10-7 better than you, and you would get 10-7 if you play him.

Opponent #3. He plays EXACTLY 10-7 under you, and you would give up 10-7 if you play him.

Also...

You've never played any of these three guys before...

You'll be playing on a table with 4-3/8" pockets...


Which opponent would you prefer to play and why ?

My personal first choice would be giving up the 10-7.…my 1st reason for choosing to play the lesser player is that he will be making the the most mistakes of the three players, which will give me a lot of offensive opportunities - possibly game-winning ones - and secondly, I think playing the player with lesser skills will put me in a strong mindset during the session...

My second choice would be to receive 10-7 - I'm not exactly sure why I like this game better than the guy that I play even with - I guess I just like the idea of getting spotted three balls and going to that lower number...

Playing the even opponent would be my last choice.

- Ghost
 
Last edited:

stevelomako

Verified Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2004
Messages
1,687
From
Detroit, MI
Grated minds think alike.

Don't worry though, we'll disagree on something when we get our partners game from anywho.
 

Banks

Verified Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2010
Messages
386
From
Portland, OR
Since things are pretty slow on here lately, I'll throw something up that's a little different...

Here's a match-up-choice question that I thought about - I'm curious which c
hoice you guys would pick, and why...

The situation is, hypothetically, that you've got a stakehorse giving you $3,000 to play just one race to 6 games with your choice of one of the following three willing opponents >>>

Opponent #1. He plays EXACTLY even with you, and you would be playing him even.

Opponent #2. He plays EXACTLY 10-7 better than you, and you would get 10-7 if you play him.

Opponent #3. He plays EXACTLY 10-7 under you, and you would give up 10-7 if you play him.

Also...

You've never played any of these three guys before...

You'll be playing on a table with 4-3/8" pockets...


Which opponent would you prefer to play and why ?

My personal first choice would be giving up the 10-7.…my 1st reason for choosing to play the lesser player is that he will be making the the most mistakes of the three players, which will give me a lot of offensive opportunities - possibly game-winning ones - and secondly, I think playing the player with lesser skills will put me in a strong mindset during the session...

My second choice would be to receive 10-7 - I'm not exactly sure why I like this game better than the guy that I play even with - I guess I just like the idea of getting spotted three balls and going to that lower number...

Playing the even opponent would be my last choice.

- Ghost

I haven't played the game long enough to really know what I may be getting myself into, but..

I think I'd rather play 7-10, because I have a habit of playing up better than playing down in other games. This is also a bit of a problem, since lesser players want bigger spots, while better players don't want to give up much if anything.

Gimme some time, I may change my mind once I know what I'm doing. ;)
 

vapros

Verified Member
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
5,056
From
baton rouge, la
I can't imagine anyone picking #1 for serious money. Your choice between the other two would be just preference - whether you feel more optimistic giving weight or getting it.
 

lll

Verified Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
20,771
From
vero beach fl
im curious what the other more eperienced players say
but intuitively id rather give the 10-7
im the better player
i know that
a less than perfectly excuted shot should not cost me the game
ill get another chance at the table if i dont sell out completely
thats my thinking
im always willing to learn:D
 

Skin

Verified Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2008
Messages
2,300
Ghosty,

That said, if the bet was for our own $3000 then I would prefer to play a guy my speed because that's what I do (or did). Meet on Main Street at High Noon and one of us shoots the other down. Win or lose that's what I always enjoyed.

Dennis

That's my mindset as well. I have always believed that in an even game I can find a little extra speed to tip the balance. Besides, I understand even games much better than spots. I hardly ever did, or do now, play with them.

Skin
 

SJDinPHX

Verified Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2007
Messages
9,226
Easy question !

Easy question !

As RBL says, you must assume that all 3 games were made to be even..I also dont know what bearing getting staked would have on it. Stakehorse or not, I always prefered giving up weight... Big weight, is usually best done with your own $$$...At least I always felt more comfortable that way.

I am certain my win/loss record would reflect that..Way more decent scores, giving up a tough games (providing I was not completely locked up)...But, even then, some of my best scores were made that way...Its hard for a guy to quit, if he really believes he has the nuts...;)
 
Last edited:

sappo

Verified Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2006
Messages
1,574
From
Tucson AZ
Hi Ghost, very interesting question. First I must say the outcome of all three games being evenly matched will depend on who is executing and thinking better for that individual set. Of course the other factor that could determine the outcome of such a even match is Lady Luck. We all know that during the course of a set like this, one of the players will inevitably get a key roll or two that can effect the final outcome, but thats just part of this game.

If I had to choose I believe I would take the 10-7. It might be a flaw of mine but when Im playing a better player I feel I dig down deeper think harder and play a bit more cautious which results in less sellouts. I guess by writing this answer down I now have to challange myself to play with this "greater intensity" when Im playing a weaker overall opponent.

Thanks for stimulating me on the subject, it will probably improve my game. Keith

Luke, are you planning on going to Vegas in May?
 

NH Steve

Administrator
Joined
Apr 25, 2004
Messages
13,602
From
New Hampshire
I would take the 10-7 for sure, because to be perfectly honest, I cannot remember ever, ever, ever getting a genuinely even spot from a better player in real life. The better players I have played always want to hold something back for an edge -- i.e. they would only give me 10-7 if the game really should be 10-6 or worse, in real life. If I know I am getting a true even spot from a better player, hell I'm going to feel like a winner before the first break :):)
 

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
6,690
From
chicago illinois
I gives it up foist

I gives it up foist

I love to give up 10 to 7. That was probably the spot I had the most success with. It was just something I was comfortable with.
Once, playing Mexican Juan 10 to 7 on table 13 (5 x 10) in Bensingers ($10 a game), 1970 or so, I ran 10 and out, five games in a row. We did play another game but I stopped at five.

Beard
 

wincardona

Verified Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2007
Messages
7,795
From
Dallas Tx.
I would prefer to play the even game. I think that playing someone even presents more of a challenge than either getting a spot, or giving one. When beating someone even you can walk away feeling that you were the better player.:D

When winning getting a spot I may win the money, but I still feel like the underdog.:confused:

When I win giving a spot, I feel that I was supposed to win and really didn't accomplish anything, other than winning the money.

Billy I.
 

wgcp

Verified Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2004
Messages
1,782
From
long beach, mississippi
spot

spot

I would play even... I don't have to have a mind that the guy giving me weight is better, and would affect my shot choices, so far as being worried about 1 mistake costing me the entire spot...
Giving up the weight, gives me the tendency to free wheel if the guy can't run more than 2 to 3 balls at a time... easier to out move... or as Freddie says to "Squeeze" them... but when I free wheel it only takes 2 mistakes at 2 to 3 balls to him, and now he needs 1 and I need the rest...

B
 

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Joined
May 25, 2004
Messages
10,230
From
Ghosttown
Interesting....so far we've got a pretty even split:

5 choosing to play even.

5 choosing to give up the spot.

4 choosing to take the spot.

And 1 undecided on giving or taking, but thinking that choosing even is for sure the worst choice.

- Ghost

PS, Although Billy, your answer was a little off the track...because you chose, re. the one that would make you feel the best after winning...whereas the intent of the original question was: Which of the three games, for whatever logical, or idiosyncratic reason, do you like the most, with the only goal being to win the race/$$$.
 

SJDinPHX

Verified Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2007
Messages
9,226
Interesting....so far we've got a pretty even split:

5 choosing to play even.

5 choosing to give up the spot.

4 choosing to take the spot.

And 1 undecided on giving or taking, but thinking that choosing even is for sure the worst choice.

- Ghost

PS, Although Billy, your answer was a little off the track...because you chose, re. the one that would make you feel the best after winning...whereas the intent of the original question was: Which of the three games, for whatever logical, or idiosyncratic reason, do you like the most, with the only goal being to win the race/$$$.

Gho:eek:aster,

Your comment to Billy, may be construed, as "Abuse of (potential) Stakehorse"...:cool:...I would use extreme caution in that area, as I do not see them JUMPING out of the woodwork, to put YOU in the box....Billy and Lomako, are your only hope...Lomako has money to burn, and Billy may have more, then the clowns who usually back you...
 
Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Joined
May 25, 2004
Messages
10,230
From
Ghosttown
Actually, as I look at the answers again...Dennis's answer/preference that he prefers to play guys mano a mano at high noon ;) didn't correlate to my questions actual intent either....and I know by saying this I will probably bring down Dennis's wrath on me :eek: :eek: because he will point out that I never did properly/exactly say/make clear that what my question meant to ask was: Which of the three games, for whatever logical, or idiosyncratic reason, do you like the most, with your only goal being to get the cash...

Ok Dennis, (although I'm responding to something that you never said :D - hmm, does that mean I should see a shrink?) my bad, I originally wasn't clear in what my question was asking - but now I've straightened it all out...:heh

- Ghosty
 
Last edited:

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
Joined
Aug 31, 2005
Messages
2,582
From
Upland, California
Personally I don't see the difference in what ever game you play if they are all even games. If I'm getting the 10-7 it's obvious that he's the better player and and if everything is factored in the game should be a toss up. The same goes for the other games where you give up the 10/7 or if you play someone of your own skill level. It seems to me that which ever of these games you play, you will win today and lose tomorrow. That's the way even match ups end in the long run. This is true gambling.

If anybody has any kind of advantage in these match ups then it no longer is an even game. For those that are looking for a better percentage of getting the cash they don't play any of these games.
 
Top