D. Harriman vs. S. Woodward 2013 Tunica

Big Jim

Verified Member
From
Southern, Indiana
try this

try this

Shoot the 8 ball str8 into the corner pocket, drawing the cue ball back a tad to avoid the one ball acros the side.

Alexonepockettrickshots

Verified Member
I went over every shot mentioned in this thread thus far. I see why you would bank the 8 ball with no English to the side pocket. I see why you may need to use right English on this shot. I also see why you should just shoot the 8 ball in and draw back a bit. Both the 3 and 4 ball being there is what makes this a good choice right? Because then your opponent can simply shoot the ball in but you can return the same shot. So I guess it would be an incorrect choice to draw the cue ball back if there were only one ball on the short rail. I agree with shooting the 8 in and drawing back because you don't want to leave a possible bank shot on the 1. I can't believe all the options for that layout.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I went over every shot mentioned in this thread thus far. I see why you would bank the 8 ball with no English to the side pocket. I see why you may need to use right English on this shot. I also see why you should just shoot the 8 ball in and draw back a bit. Both the 3 and 4 ball being there is what makes this a good choice right? Because then your opponent can simply shoot the ball in but you can return the same shot. So I guess it would be an incorrect choice to draw the cue ball back if there were only one ball on the short rail. I agree with shooting the 8 in and drawing back because you don't want to leave a possible bank shot on the 1. I can't believe all the options for that layout.

Good line of thinking. There are usually a few options available on most shots. Often a determining factor is the score (probably the most determining factor in what you should shoot), how you feel at the time, who you are playing, and what you are playing for. Then to get really anal, you should consider pocket size and table humidity. To process all of that effectively is a matter of knowledge and experience. If you havent acquired the latter two yet then you still have a chance if you have an open-minded thinking mechanism (that's how some young players are able to do the right thing).

Beard