enigmatic layout for alex

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Thank you MKBTank! Cool idea Island Drive!
Ya Tom, I think fire away!
For some reason, I know you should shoot the 2 in, after thinking about it for awhile. It just feels right.
It just does. I don't know why it feels right. But I know it.
Question though.
Why use the carom? Do you mean come off the 4 ball, to make the combo? Do you think it is not possible to make the combo unless you use the carom? Or does the carom ensure something for later? Such as pushing more balls out and scattering them?

IF the 2 ball can go im making it with center english. The cueball is in a tough spot so i just want an accurate hit on the combo. If you make it you should have the 11 ball or 13 ball next.
Here are the scenarios Alex.
If you take a scratch to the other side or the short rail your opponent is going to either shoot in that combo which is easy, or put you in a worse trap and if he doesnt like any of that.. guess what.. he takes an intentional and puts you right back where you were before and you are both on 1.. your shot;)
If you go for the ticky safes there is a good chance to sell out a duck cross corner bank or even scratch. If either of those occur you lose.
Now then to the combo. You are in a tough spot however you not only have a chance to get out of it but possibly win the game with this shot.. PLUS even if you miss there is no GUARANTEE(although the chances are good) that you will sell out. How many times has an opponent fired at a combo missed and smashed open the stack and you are either froze to a ball or have nothing and you shake your head. So when you way out the percentages if the 15 2 goes fire away.
P.S. If you are playing someone a race or an ahead set and this situation came up. If you make the combo and get out it just might win you the match. Mentally it would crush your opponent. He has you in this kind of trap and loses the game? thats devastating for a persons mindset.

senor

Verified Member
Jack up and shoot the 8 into the top of the 5, playing the cue ball into the 6.

I like Rod's shot too. Sometimes the move is to shoot one hard at your opponent's pocket.

I agree with Hacker, if 2 is make-able and the angle is not too thin, it would be silly to pass on that shot.

Alexonepockettrickshots

Verified Member
IF the 2 ball can go im making it with center english. The cueball is in a tough spot so i just want an accurate hit on the combo. If you make it you should have the 11 ball or 13 ball next.
Here are the scenarios Alex.
If you take a scratch to the other side or the short rail your opponent is going to either shoot in that combo which is easy, or put you in a worse trap and if he doesnt like any of that.. guess what.. he takes an intentional and puts you right back where you were before and you are both on 1.. your shot;)
If you go for the ticky safes there is a good chance to sell out a duck cross corner bank or even scratch. If either of those occur you lose.
Now then to the combo. You are in a tough spot however you not only have a chance to get out of it but possibly win the game with this shot.. PLUS even if you miss there is no GUARANTEE(although the chances are good) that you will sell out. How many times has an opponent fired at a combo missed and smashed open the stack and you are either froze to a ball or have nothing and you shake your head. So when you way out the percentages if the 15 2 goes fire away.
P.S. If you are playing someone a race or an ahead set and this situation came up. If you make the combo and get out it just might win you the match. Mentally it would crush your opponent. He has you in this kind of trap and loses the game? thats devastating for a persons mindset.

Ok. Thank you very much. Ok read it Tom. Ok read it Onepockethacker. Burned it in. 100 percent makes sense. All of it.
For some reason it was kind of easy and enjoyable to understand even though obviously you just told me a lot I didn't know of before.
I understand. I also understand I have a lot more to learn and learn forever. Most importantly my one pocket mind has been awoken a bit because I can feel it.
Can someone post another layout please when you have the time.

Alexonepockettrickshots

Verified Member
Jack up and shoot the 8 into the top of the 5, playing the cue ball into the 6.

I like Rod's shot too. Sometimes the move is to shoot one hard at your opponent's pocket.

I agree with Hacker, if 2 is make-able and the angle is not too thin, it would be silly to pass on that shot.[/QUO

Sounds good thank you.

beatle

Verified Member
for an alternative shot. it looks like the only cue ball control you have is if you use low right on it. so the 15 7 combo goes into the 5 ball after it hits the bottom rail. hit it hard and suck the cue ball to the side rail and it will go to the bottom rail. the removal of the 5 ball is the key to surviving this game.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I like the side rail kick into the 8 too, but I would also have to take a hard look at the combination on the 2-ball -- it looks like it has a pretty good angle to go right into my pocket.

good eye steve
hope you arent gaining too much weight with all the cookies you are accumulating...:D
benny spent a few minutes lining it up
he didnt use the carom bit hit straight into the stripe (15)
it hit the long rail side of the tit/pocket and jawed out and went up table
too many balls flying around to diagram it
yh2.jpg

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida

This shot on the two ball was still the proper shot. He simple played the shot without using the carom which in actuality made the shot more difficult. Had he used the four ball (?) to carom the combo he could have, imo controlled the shot better.

A player may look on the results of his opponent's shot as lucky for that shooter in that there is no clear cut open shot which by all that is right should be there. Frustration can easily set in when things like this happen. I have seen many times in my opponents and been guilty myself of this negative thinking. But look closely at the current situation for this "unlucky" player. The position of the balls clearly show who the favorite is here. Learn to accept that it may take another shot or two to exact a win from positions such as this. Be patient and grateful that your opponent did not make that combo. Things could have been a lot worse.

Some may think the shooter got away lucky here but in reality that player is in as deep as he was with the previous shot. More so in fact. The incoming player has numerous options at his disposal. As one example, and there are many, he can play safe off of the eleven ball and snooker on what appears to be the twelve ball. Should he wish to get aggressive from this position he can play that same twelve ball as a bank into the lower half of the eleven and back toward his pocket. This type of shot is relatively easy to control both the cue ball and the object ball. With all those balls near his pocket the likelihood of scraping something in his hole is quite high. Of course this is only an option and that shot does carry risk that he need not accept. Having options is a beautiful thing and the table layout is completely within the current shooters control.

Tom

onepockethacker

Verified Member
This shot on the two ball was still the proper shot. He simple played the shot without using the carom which in actuality made the shot more difficult. Had he used the four ball (?) to carom the combo he could have, imo controlled the shot better.

A player may look on the results of his opponent's shot as lucky for that shooter in that there is no clear cut open shot which by all that is right should be there. Frustration can easily set in when things like this happen. I have seen many times in my opponents and been guilty myself of this negative thinking. But look closely at the current situation for this "unlucky" player. The position of the balls clearly show who the favorite is here. Learn to accept that it may take another shot or two to exact a win from positions such as this. Be patient and grateful that your opponent did not make that combo. Things could have been a lot worse.

Some may think the shooter got away lucky here but in reality that player is in as deep as he was with the previous shot. More so in fact. The incoming player has numerous options at his disposal. As one example, and there are many, he can play safe off of the eleven ball and snooker on what appears to be the twelve ball. Should he wish to get aggressive from this position he can play that same twelve ball as a bank into the lower half of the eleven and back toward his pocket. This type of shot is relatively easy to control both the cue ball and the object ball. With all those balls near his pocket the likelihood of scraping something in his hole is quite high. Of course this is only an option and that shot does carry risk that he need not accept. Having options is a beautiful thing and the table layout is completely within the current shooters control.

Tom

The 15 2 combo was definitely the right shot in that situation and like I said there was a chance even if he missed he could get lucky which he did. Is he still at a huge disadvantage? of course.. anytime you smash open the rack during a missed shot you are going to be in bad shape. However he probably wont lose on this inning(although he could) and he will at least have another swing to wiggle out of this situation.