Ghost vs. Tom #2

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Nicely done Mr. Ghost. the shot you played was my second choice. You chose an aggressive shot that required imagination to recognize, and you controlled the cue ball very well. You accomplished what you set out to do. That was to apply pressure to your opponent. This type shot does more than that though, and that is that it sends a message to your opponent that they must be on guard all the time for fear that you will come up with a way to drive balls safely toward your hole even from positions which appear to be secure. That is a true weapon.​

Tom

Last edited:
Reactions: lll

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
nice shot jimmy
i looked first at using the 7 to get the cue ball to the same place was afraid of disturbing the 3/8
but your way no risk of disturbing the 3/8
ghost i liked it from the beginning !!!!!
great eye and execution (you too jimmy from the computer... 😂 )
thanks for the wwyd....(y)

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
No brainer for me, I'm kicking at the 3 -8. Hit the high side of the 3 sending the 3 in the direction of the 15 and there it caroms towards the 1 and 5. The 8 safely goes up table and does the cue ball. There is nothing for my opponent from that end of the table. This should be an easy kick for anyone with even limited experience. Very easy to get lucky and scrape something in your hole. Position is then natural.

Tom
Same!!! Definition of controlled aggression 😀

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
early on, Jimmy, Bill, crabcat, and Kybanks also liked - and then later on, after further deliberation, Dennis and Larry also chose it...
in #12 I threw in three quick possibles. the second was the 11 carom off the 2 up&down, - but initial (off) table look it was hard to see how cb would play. Later I read Tom's (?) kick - or(?) - someone saying "what rail?" kick. - let me be emphatic (slams mug); the only way that kick works if is if you can hit it good enough to leave the cb on the head rail 1st diamond - and if you can get some speed on it, more power to you. Otherwise that kick doesn't work (my 2nd choice :) )
The carom off the 2 is stupid and risky enough - but if the cb plays with some control - (that cb had to be flyin' three across while working it's way down - ((no wrong/ugh angles)) to sit like that <nice. - maybe?

The best shot to not make this a dramatic win or lose moment seems to be Steve's contained play underneath.

- Thank you, Ghost. Happy Spring!

Last edited:

baby huey

Verified Member
There's a part of this wwyd that has not been addressed. Specifically the math. You are up 4/0 and the balls favor you at this point. Heroics IMO are not necessary unless you have to call your wife and get the shopping list. There's lots of safety shots which maintain your position and allow you to move balls up table. For me I'd carom off the 8/3 easily and move the eight ball at least two diamonds up table and the carom puts the cueball in his jaws with no return shot I can see.

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
There's a part of this wwyd that has not been addressed. Specifically the math. You are up 4/0 and the balls favor you at this point. Heroics IMO are not necessary unless you have to call your wife and get the shopping list. There's lots of safety shots which maintain your position and allow you to move balls up table. For me I'd carom off the 8/3 easily and move the eight ball at least two diamonds up table and the carom puts the cueball in his jaws with no return shot I can see.
...Nice. Now that I hear you say it - after all the previous discussion, it is more appealing.
That was my third thought in my post #12.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
This is my choice. I like this option because it sets the table and locks up your opponent creating a very threatening g position that is protected.
Bill Incardona
Also, leaving the 8-3 where they are clearly favors the shooter in multiple ways. Bill Incardona

Reactions: lll

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
I like this option because it sets the table and locks up your opponent
But only if you can assure yourself of the cb. Again, you have to be at the table but from what I've seen/read, there are three options. If I'm playing you Billy ( :) ) I'm playing either Steve's down table safe (12?) /BabyHuey's clear the 8/3 carom/slide - or if it looks good for a safety I know it also looks good for the up and down carom 11 off the 2 - it's a perfect pocket-speed shot.
Thanks, Billy. you don't know me, but we're friends.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Also, leaving the 8-3 where they are clearly favors the shooter in multiple ways. Bill Incardona

Bill, It is good to have you posting, You've been missed. I hope we will hear more from you now.
I don''t believe you are correct about the 8 and 3 balls. Yes, at the moment they work against the player who has that side of the table but that can change very quickly with a light bump sometime later in the game, and at that point there will be three loose balls along his side. That can lead to a major problem if he can hide the cue ball in the process.
As to the shot you like, and the Ghost's choice here. This was my second option and it is a good one. I just liked the more aggressive shot because it can have immediate results and win the game outright. It carries zero risk other than a possible loss of position.

Again, it's nice to hear from you and I hope you're feeling well,
Tom​

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
In my post #43 I asked this question; "do I duck behind the foot rail balls or do the kick into the 3/8, which is first?
My thought was to duck and then come back to the 3/8 if I needed it, although I did not state it, but I wanted someone to address it.
thanks for posting and addressing this Dr. Bill.
thanks Ghost and your playing partner Tom for the wwyd. *You pulled off a great shot *
Whitey

Last edited:

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
My thought was to duck and then come back to the 3/8 if I needed it, although I did not state it, but I wanted someone to address it.

As thin as the 5 must be hit to spin under the foot rail balls the shot must be hit softly so I don't see how you will accomplish sending the 5 anywhere near your hole. In addition you may very well tie up the 5 and 1. On top of that the 15 is loose enough that you may leave a gap which allows your opponent to clear all three of those balls (15, 1, and 5). To add more problems to this shot even if the 5 and 1 do not tie up they will be close enough to one another that your opponent may have a clear one rail or two rail bank back towards the 8 -3 cluster. This shot is relatively safe because the 1 will likely, not necessarily, stop the cue ball from traveling to the opposite side of the table preventing you from a second shot should you elect to pocket the 5. Need I go on?

No; In spite of the fact that Ghost played a nice shot, executed it well and got a fine result, I will stick to my shot for all the reasons mentioned earlier plus one. Someone mentioned a lead of 4 -0. Not according to Ghost. He stated the score to be 2 -2. I had not considered the score when I first analyzed the situation but had the score been 4 - 0 either way, that would not have altered my shot choice. If I'm playing well then I prefer to choose to stay aggressive if at all possible. I still need a bucket full. In the early innings with a tie score and bases loaded I'm swinging for the fences.​

Tom

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Tom, on Island Dr's shot selection, Island Dr., I, and you all know that for Island Dr. shot selection to be effective then we need to lock up the cb, as it states in my post. I agree that the relation of the 1/5 is uncertain, but that was never my objective, my objective is to lock up the cb to achieve a positional advantage. I fully understand your position on this shot selection.

As I progressed through this wwyd, I liked Jimmy B's shot more and more as I realized picture 2 gave an angle that made it look possible. With this new insight, then I have to agree with Dr. bill to leave the 3 / 8. tied up for now.

Ghost's shot did not need to lock up, although always better, because he got a ball in front of his hole; But very important not to leave a path or shot at the ball in front of his hole. Which I believe he accomplished.

The kick into the 3 / 8 I have to play it the way I see it, I know no other way. I agree there it is harder to execute, the risk is greater because it leaves the cb closer to play if I do not get it behind the mini cluster.
The way you hit the 3 / 8 as you stated in your # 72 post; "it could give up my position". This is way I could not shoot it the way you did.

thanks for your insights, always very informative!
Whitey

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Well then...I liked and shot the carom-bank of the 11ball = the shot that early on, Jimmy, Bill, crabcat, and Kybanks also liked - and then later on, after further deliberation, Dennis and Larry also chose it.....I'm always on the lookout for these table-length carom-bank shots, but they don't come up very often - conversely, as we all know, the short/cross-table version of the carom-bank, that takes place under the stack, does come up a lot...

...anyways...luckily I managed to hit it pretty well, and I got a good result.....here's how it came out >>>
You sure did get a nice result!!