Official sign up list for 2024 MOT at Railyard Billiards, Louisville, KY

Fanatic

Verified Member
Hi everyone!
I just want to say what a great time I had at this event! It was so nice finally meeting you guys!
I really shouldn’t have come down as it’s been a tough year but Steve convinced me and helped arrange the trip for me and Liz Taylor to attend. Bringing Liz meant a lot as I’ve been trying to expand woman’s one pocket for some time now and having 2 women at this event, will hopefully inspire others to play! I’m looking for at least 4-5 women to consistently attend and that would make me happy.
I personally haven’t played much pool lately and the last time I played one pocket was in August I believe when I visited Steve Booth in New Hampshire. So it’s been awhile. I think I made it clear to most of you guys I was here just to represent women in 1 pocket, see everyone and visit one of my favorite pool halls. I never expected to win since I’m so out of stroke but I did get a chance to spar with a lot of you guys and it was a blast. I think I can say most of you all knew I knew the game pretty well and I can’t complain. Liz on the other hand is my little treasure. Most of you guys didn't realize Liz is a tremendous player and has been on the woman’s pro tour on and off since the 80s ranking in the top 32. Yes she shoots pretty straight but still under the 670 Fargo lol
Liz has only picked up this game 2 years ago and she has mentioned that she wished she picked it up sooner so now there’s two of us promoting this game with different pool life experiences. I’d say watch out for her in the next couple of years because she’s thirsty to learn about this game and is motivated to excel in it.
I got to play Bille, Chicago Mike, Ken Lee, David Gross, Steve Booth, and John Daminato but I played a lot of tourists too and really just came out for the good time. Steve was my first match and he drove me nuts and aggravated me. One by not picking up his points and two by stopping to talk to others while we were playing. I did yell at him since it’s a pet peeve of mine, I think you’d all agree with me when I say you’re either running the tournament or you’re playing the tournament. Waiting around for him was frustrating and he knew I was steaming but he was a sport and took it well. Steve got yelled at a few times by a couple of others and he just smiled lol
Bill Rowsey is a riot, just saying , and although I may talk a lot, Bill gives me11/7 in the talking and obnoxiousness department 🤣 so I don’t want to hear I talk a lot lol
Dave Gross,Jay Pettlon , and Ken Lee ( who took my racist Chinese jokes like a champ) cracked me up as well and made this event even more fun and I don’t remember laughing this much.
I got to do my first ever commentary for one pocket so I hope I did well and you enjoyed it but if I took a break it was hard to get back in there….but it was fun.
Congratulations to Robert Newkirk….super impressed with his game and his overall approach to the game but more impressed at how wonderful he was to his wife Paula
He has a great attitude and I always saw him smiling. Great guy and his win was well deserved. He kept teasing me he was going to play me some one handed one hole but after the win, I think he wanted to stay a winner 😜
I may not have been the best one pocket player in the room but I can play it jacked up like a champ and not a lot of people can’t beat me in that game so I take my little nitch and use it to entertain the crowd… since you’re all scared 🤣
I finally met Lou which is funny since I was in an exhibition game during his 20k match with John 10 years ago. He plays pretty good and did a great job… I know he wanted to win but he has to settle for bridesmaid this year lol
Big thank you to Bille for making sure Liz and I could make it there…,it was great finally meeting him!!!
I’m sorry if I missed anyone or anything, I’m still hung over from last night lol
So thanks everyone for making this so enjoyable…. Life long friends
Xoxo

Fanatic

Verified Member
Cincy's report

Great to see some faces I haven't seen in awhile as well as meet some new people. Some of the new people I met included Chuck (RedCard), Mike Brown, Arizona Jay, Joe Kerley, Beltsander Bill, Andy Warren, Rowsey (although I think I met him at the derby one year), Sandy (fanatic) and her friend Liz Taylor who both played good one pocket and hope they make some more events, Kyle (the owner) who just has an incredible room (40,000+ square feet) and as a player himself makes for a great host, and I didn't get a chance to introduce myself to Anthony Lopez who made the trip out from Cali, but I saw he could play some good one hole and seemed like a very nice guy, Ken Lee, another fellow one holer who came with the Chicago guys, Jason Dugas who I played in the tournament and another super nice guy, and my buddy Neil (Jalapus Logan) came over from Lexington and introduced me to his fried Don, another lover of pool and one hole.

Action

I gave my buddy Justin a ride to the tourney and we got there and grabbed a table and played some one hole and banks and ended up breaking even in both. After seeing his performance this weekend, I think I need weight in both. The only other action I had was with Dave (12squared) who bested me 2 games before the tourney was getting ready to start. Always a pleasure and good to see you again!

Tournament

First match I played Joe Kerley, a member from the Memphis area. First game I made a couple bad shots and he got to 7 and I think I needed 4 or 5. I just told myself to play super conservative and I tried not to give him any shot and hope he would make a mistake. He finally did and scratched which put me back in it and I ended up coming back and winning that game. It was a competitive match and I think the momentum of me grinding out the previous game took me to the finish line in this one. Cincy wins.

Second match I played Jason Dugas, a local who also spent a lot of time in Cincinnati around the same time, maybe we bumped in to each other back then and didn't know it. Another super nice guy who played real good, especially for not playing in many years. I banked so good that set it would have been hard for anyone to beat me, lol. I played well and got the W. Cincy wins.

Following Day, third match, I play Lou. Of course we get put on the TV table, which normally would have been fine, especially if it would have been one of my matches from the day before, but in this instance, I sure played bad. I think the extra pressure of the stream table probably affected me some, but I also just made some bad shots. Not taking anything away from Lou, he played good and kept me locked up most of the time. Cincy loses.

I see that I play the winner of my buddy Justin or Andy Warren on the one loss side. Although I have not seen Andy play before, I know he can play real well. He not only won an MOT in the past, but also went for the first blind bid in the auction. So I was hoping Justin won because I thought I had a better chance to advance if I played Justin instead of Andy...Justin grinds it out and gets the win.

Match four, I played Justin and I was really looking forward to it as we play pretty close. I make a few good shots game one and eventually get the win for game one. Game two, I am playing well and get on the hill and I make a real good 3 rail shot and lay my out ball deep inside the pocket. CB is froze to the head rail middle diamond. I need the one in my hole and he needs 4. At this stage I am thinking ok, I am up 2-0 and I break for the cheese. Justin had jumped the CB off the table earlier in the game when pocketing my ball instead of following it in, so I asked him, "are you jumping this one off too?" He said yes, jacked up, took some practice strokes and then when he stroked the shot, instead of hitting the CB, he accidentally hits the 8 ball (which was maybe 1/4" away from the CB on the head rail too) and the 8 ball rolls maybe 6 inches to the right.

Neither of us was really sure what to do, so I grabbed Steve and asked him to make the call. His initial thought was that it was a foul. However, we were playing CB fouls only and he never touched the CB. Also the 8 never disturbed any other balls, so we all 3 agreed just putting the 8 ball back to where it was and have Justin shoot again was the right call. So that's what we did and he proceeded to pocket my ball and jump the CB off putting 2 balls on the spot. We went back and forth and he kept picking off balls one at a time and came back and beat me. I was so deflated now that it was 1-1 instead of 2-0 that I kept making mistakes and he kept taking advantage of them. Cincy loses.

I can see how he took 2nd in the banks mini because he may have only missed 2 banks he shot at the whole set. Made some really good banks! Great shooting buddy and you impressed me all weekend.

I was broke down and flustered so I took off shortly after and got home last night. Was a great time as always and I will say again if you have not been to one of these before and you like one pocket, you should treat yourself to one some year, great people, great competition!

Thanks again to John and Steve for helping run a smoothe tourney and to Kyle for hosting us (and helping run the tourney), all three of you while trying to play in it as well!
It was so nice meeting you finally!!!

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Hi everyone!
I just want to say what a great time I had at this event! It was so nice finally meeting you guys!
I really shouldn’t have come down as it’s been a tough year but Steve convinced me and helped arrange the trip for me and Liz Taylor to attend. Bringing Liz meant a lot as I’ve been trying to expand woman’s one pocket for some time now and having 2 women at this event, will hopefully inspire others to play! I’m looking for at least 4-5 women to consistently attend and that would make me happy.
I personally haven’t played much pool lately and the last time I played one pocket was in August I believe when I visited Steve Booth in New Hampshire. So it’s been awhile. I think I made it clear to most of you guys I was here just to represent women in 1 pocket, see everyone and visit one of my favorite pool halls. I never expected to win since I’m so out of stroke but I did get a chance to spar with a lot of you guys and it was a blast. I think I can say most of you all knew I knew the game pretty well and I can’t complain. Liz on the other hand is my little treasure. Most of you guys didn't realize Liz is a tremendous player and has been on the woman’s pro tour on and off since the 80s ranking in the top 32. Yes she shoots pretty straight but still under the 670 Fargo lol
Liz has only picked up this game 2 years ago and she has mentioned that she wished she picked it up sooner so now there’s two of us promoting this game with different pool life experiences. I’d say watch out for her in the next couple of years because she’s thirsty to learn about this game and is motivated to excel in it.
I got to play Bille, Chicago Mike, Ken Lee, David Gross, Steve Booth, and John Daminato but I played a lot of tourists too and really just came out for the good time. Steve was my first match and he drove me nuts and aggravated me. One by not picking up his points and two by stopping to talk to others while we were playing. I did yell at him since it’s a pet peeve of mine, I think you’d all agree with me when I say you’re either running the tournament or you’re playing the tournament. Waiting around for him was frustrating and he knew I was steaming but he was a sport and took it well. Steve got yelled at a few times by a couple of others and he just smiled lol
Bill Rowsey is a riot, just saying , and although I may talk a lot, Bill gives me11/7 in the talking and obnoxiousness department 🤣 so I don’t want to hear I talk a lot lol
Dave Gross,Jay Pettlon , and Ken Lee ( who took my racist Chinese jokes like a champ) cracked me up as well and made this event even more fun and I don’t remember laughing this much.
I got to do my first ever commentary for one pocket so I hope I did well and you enjoyed it but if I took a break it was hard to get back in there….but it was fun.
Congratulations to Robert Newkirk….super impressed with his game and his overall approach to the game but more impressed at how wonderful he was to his wife Paula
He has a great attitude and I always saw him smiling. Great guy and his win was well deserved. He kept teasing me he was going to play me some one handed one hole but after the win, I think he wanted to stay a winner 😜
I may not have been the best one pocket player in the room but I can play it jacked up like a champ and not a lot of people can’t beat me in that game so I take my little nitch and use it to entertain the crowd… since you’re all scared 🤣
I finally met Lou which is funny since I was in an exhibition game during his 20k match with John 10 years ago. He plays pretty good and did a great job… I know he wanted to win but he has to settle for bridesmaid this year lol
Big thank you to Bille for making sure Liz and I could make it there…,it was great finally meeting him!!!
I’m sorry if I missed anyone or anything, I’m still hung over from last night lol
So thanks everyone for making this so enjoyable…. Life long friends
Xoxo
great write up sandra.....(y)
wish i was there
larry

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Sorry I failed to mention to the kind person that took the group photos to touch the group for focus, so it’s not your eyes, the pic is indeed blurry. It is what it is until the next MOT
View attachment 442933
Steve forgot to mention the thumbs up in the group photo was a show of support for our brother Matt. Roberts shirt in the middle says the Comeback!

Last edited:

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
I watched as much as i could of this tourney and learned one thing
Old guys shoot to good for me !!!!
Can not wiat till I get old enough to shoot that good. Congrats robert and lou and every one else who got to play in this looks like a great tournamennt in a great venue. cna not wiat to visit it .

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Not that it needs to be said, but Steve Booth, champion Robert Newkirk and runner-up Lou Figueroa. Congratulations to both of you for a great tournament!

View attachment 442929
Robert deserved the win as he played great throughout, but Lou played great up until the finals. Newkirk does that to people. Lou was one of the only one I knew of that had a couple 8 'n outs. Maybe I'll practice straight pool?

Congrats to both.

beltsander bill

Verified Member
Congratulations to Robert and Lou!!!! You both obviously played very well. Robert, to me, you did an incredible job of balancing your personal obligations and the demands of a tough tournament field. I can only wish to have the ability to do those things ( and hope I do not have to).
Sir, you are a true competitor!!