Official sign up list for 2024 MOT at Railyard Billiards, Louisville, KY

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I called Railbirds, and talked to a guy in the repair shop about the tables and how tight the pockets played. He stated they are standard Diamond tables w/ 4-1/4 pockets w/ standard Artemis cushions. He further stated it was the humidity that makes the tables play so lively around the pockets.
They do not have dehumidifies, I guess the room is so large that is not an option.

So there we have, and it is as Dave's original post stated, the humidity.
I find this very interesting, and searching for the answers is what it was about for me.
Whitey

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Steve and Lou,
So you are saying these tables at the MOT may have had Blue Label rails on them. For me, that would explain it. Maybe that is why the Z bank that Robert played with force made a complete about face coming off of the 2nd rail.
The Pro Am and Professional Diamond tables come with Artemis cushions. As far as I know any other rails used would be a special set up.
Black Label are used on 7 & 8 footers, but in reading some posts there are those that have used them on the 9 footers.
thanks, Whitey

Pretty sure they were newer Diamonds from the factory -- the blue oval logo is the give-away.

The rails on the MOT table played a lot like the DCC tables this year. However, as I said, the cloth had a distinctively rough texture to it and for my money that's what made the pockets play tougher. There was no slide off the rails, it was like hitting velcro. Maybe it's how they were cleaning it.

I did not find the humidity in that room to be exceptionally high.

Lou Figueroa

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I did not find the humidity in that room to be exceptionally high.

Lou Figueroa
The first couple days I was there it was cold and rainy. But humidity seeps in the rails and stays there whether you feel it in the air on a particular day or not (just my opinion).

There is a table in fort Collins that is next to the front door and large picture windows that plays wetter than the others in the room.

Reactions: lll

lfigueroa

Verified Member
The first couple days I was there it was cold and rainy. But humidity seeps in the rails and stays there whether you feel it in the air on a particular day or not (just my opinion).

There is a table in fort Collins that is next to the front door and large picture windows that plays wetter than the others in the room.

I know all about humidity.

My home pool room had a leaky roof. For several years, when it rained, they had to cover half a dozen tables and place buckets on the tables and more on the floor to catch all the rain water dripping in. A new guy bought the place and the landlord wouldn't commit to a timely roof repair so he moved the room. We're all still waiting for it to reopen.

My point being, I know what it's like to play on a wet, boingy table.

Lou Figueroa
just heard it
opened tiday

Last edited:

beltsander bill

Verified Member
I called Railbirds, and talked to a guy in the repair shop about the tables and how tight the pockets played. He stated they are standard Diamond tables w/ 4-1/4 pockets w/ standard Artemis cushions. He further stated it was the humidity that makes the tables play so lively around the pockets.
They do not have dehumidifies, I guess the room is so large that is not an option.

I find this very interesting, and searching for the answers is what it was about for me.
Whitey
Austin Tx must have about the same humidity as Louisville.. I didn’t notice much difference in rails and banks from what I’m use to. That said , I did notice a big difference in the table maintenance and the condition of the balls. I didn’t play on three of the tables. Maybe it was my imagination but it seemed that the cloth at the pocket facings was wrapped differently than I had seen. Was the cloth Simonis 860, Andy, or predator? The Andy cloth that I’ve be aware of was more course than Simonis. As for the pocket size they were a tight 4 1/4 as shown in the attached photo. The first 2 picsi are of my Diamond blue label professional showing how balls fit the pocket and the pocket size point to point. The third is of a pocket at railyard billiards. I can’t speak to the bouncy rails, but tight pockets and deep shelves and wore in cloth do make it difficult.🤔
Steve and Lou,
So you are saying these tables at the MOT may have had Blue Label rails on them. For me, that would explain it. Maybe that is why the Z bank that Robert played with force made a complete about face coming off of the 2nd rail.
The Pro Am and Professional Diamond tables come with Artemis cushions. As far as I know any other rails used would be a special set up.
Black Label are used on 7 & 8 footers, but in reading some posts there are those that have used them on the 9 footers.
thanks, Whitey

Whitey

Whitey

Attachments

• IMG_3411.jpeg
    IMG_3411.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3414.jpeg
    IMG_3414.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1243.jpeg
    IMG_1243.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 13

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Austin Tx must have about the same humidity as Louisville.. I didn’t notice much difference in rails and banks from what I’m use to. That said , I did notice a big difference in the table maintenance and the condition of the balls. I didn’t play on three of the tables. Maybe it was my imagination but it seemed that the cloth at the pocket facings was wrapped differently than I had seen. Was the cloth Simonis 860, Andy, or predator? The Andy cloth that I’ve be aware of was more course than Simonis. As for the pocket size they were a tight 4 1/4 as shown in the attached photo. The first 2 picsi are of my Diamond blue label professional showing how balls fit the pocket and the pocket size point to point. The third is of a pocket at railyard billiards. I can’t speak to the bouncy rails, but tight pockets and deep shelves and wore in cloth do make it difficult.🤔
Our own Johnnytronics was getting ready to play a challenge match and I saw the balls slide in the pockets a little easier. I asked him about it and he said he cleaned the balls; so the condition of the balls and cloth had something to do with how tight the tables played, as did the humidity.

Reactions: lll

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
The TV table there is well known for playing tighter than the others. They were all purchased the same time before they opened from diamond with the same pockets so they weren't shimmed later. So they are all 4- 5 yrs old.. Tv table seemed to bank fine to me. Louie does the cloth and was trained by Diamond. Bottom line is 4-1/4" pocket Diamond tables with broken in felt and deep shelves play tight and weather can drasticly effect how they play.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
We all can agree that the way the pockets played is an anomaly. For me as a spectator I appreciated how the balls and the pockets played. I can not imagine playing OP with freshly cleaned balls.

i really appreciate and admire John's MOT rule that each player plays 2 matches the first day vs. playing until half the field is out the first day.

We have had a number of threads pertaining to MOT play. It is the consensus that the majority of players are there to play tournament play vs. matching up.

With that statement, then when half the field is out, is there a consolation tournament for them. I think not, because at the 2018 MOT Cal. Billiards there was not one. I know it takes availability of tables, of which Cal. Billiards has.

Therefore, when we have the availability of tables should we be considering a consolation tournament?

I think this is the time to discuss this MOT while it is fresh in the players minds. For me, it was excellently orchestrated. I'd like to know from players their thoughts of the Thursday night bank tournament. For me, I like the idea of a bank tournament. How about this for future MOT's, and that is to take a lead from John H. whereas the bank tournament is a ring game of say for example 16 players playing on 4 tables, or 20 players on 4 or 5 tables, w/ the winners of each group going to final ring game.

So I am throwing out these two agenda items for future MOT's based on availability of tables and establishment being on board, to have a consolation tournament, and a Thursday ring bank game. Further on the consolation tournament to be a OP tournament, and not a 1b1p or 5 rack ghost, because the players are there to play OP.

For your considerations and discussions!
Whitey

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
The scheduling works. Where we played put the ultimate test to the scheduling because we only used 8 tables all with tight pockets. I would start a new thread for the next one
John, I had no idea you only had 8 tables to work with, very impressive!

According to a statement by Steve, the next MOT will be New Orleans, w/ California Billiards following that. Kentucky was wanting to have a Suiper Seniors at California Billiards. I'd like to see him start a thread on this!
thanks, Whitey

Last edited:

beltsander bill

Verified Member
I like the way it was run with 2 plays on Friday night.
Since I’m dead money in these events, I would play a consolation Mimi if tables were available. 🤓 If and when the tournament is being filled up with competitive players, I will relinquish a spot to those players.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
According to a statement by Steve, the next MOT will be New Orleans, w/ California Billiards following that. Kentucky was wanting to have a Suiper Seniors at California Billiards. I'd like to see him start a thread on this!
thanks, Whitey
What we have decided is mainly rotate CA Billiards, and Chris's in Chicago, assuming Chris's still want to host. Those two both filled 100%. But not an every other year rotation -- maybe every three or four years with those two, and the in between years move around to a new spot. This year Louisville was that new spot. It is still really good to get our MOT into a locale that has not had one before because we gain such good local exposure when we hold a tournament somewhere new.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Since I’m dead money in these events, I would play a consolation Mimi if tables were available. 🤓 If and when the tournament is being filled up with competitive players, I will relinquish a spot to those players.
Hey Bill, I think a mini consolation tourney is a great idea if we have the tables and time to do so! Also, for MOT's you will never need to relinquish your spot to a more "competitive" player. It's all about camaraderie, kinship and the love of the game. Seems like you welcome all of the above in spades so you are good. :)

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
What we have decided is mainly rotate CA Billiards, and Chris's in Chicago, assuming Chris's still want to host. Those two both filled 100%. But not an every other year rotation -- maybe every three or four years with those two, and the in between years move around to a new spot. This year Louisville was that new spot. It is still really good to get our MOT into a locale that has not had one before because we gain such good local exposure when we hold a tournament somewhere new.
Steve, I am just quoting what you stated. and your statement ended with; "you can book it". It would be a 3 year rotation for Ca. Billiards. I do not believe Chris's was mentioned in your statement, just New Orleans and Ca. Billiards were lined up after this last MOT in that order.

So I had taken it as it was booked.

I believe you statement was in the context that it had been a 5 yr. lapse between MOT's at Ca. Billiards, and New Orleans was way overdue.
Whitey

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Steve, I am just quoting what you stated. and your statement ended with; "you can book it". It would be a 3 year rotation for Ca. Billiards. I do not believe Chris's was mentioned in your statement, just New Orleans and Ca. Billiards were lined up after this last MOT in that order.

So I had taken it as it was booked.

I believe you statement was in the context that it had been a 5 yr. lapse between MOT's at Ca. Billiards, and New Orleans was way overdue.
Whitey
New Orleans looks like it has potential to be an ongoing "mini" MOT in conjunction with the big Buffalo's pro tournament that wraps up Memorial Day weekend every year. This could become an annual mini. But we will know a lot more after we hold the one coming up the end of May this year. We have held a mini at the old Lacy's Cue (same poolroom), but this is a new format and new poolroom ownership, so it is kind of a test. I know we have a strong interest (in the "mini" context), with several players from Europe planning to be there, and multiple of our members have mentioned either here in the forum or in person at the MOT that they want to be there, so I am hopeful -- and hopeful that the new Buff 3 management likes the way it works too of course!