Great Kicking Game

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Our local bar has 2 Valleys. tables.

There' an older stoner man who plays 8 ball not for money, but when you play with em, you have to kick in the 8 to win.

When I go in there, for years now, he's always kicking at balls remaining on the table, guessing he's a Fargo 540 , yet his kicking is probably 690 ish when going more than one rail.
I don't play with him much and he's a great guy, but when we do, we must kick/call the 8 to finish the rack.

Yesterday, rainy wet nasty day. I ran into him passing by the bar.
I said Lare, lets play some kick pool.

Huh, from his stoner state, nice man. What's that?

After about 40 minutes we pocketed one rack we had a great time (50 cents a game).

Here' how our initial rules developed.
Break make a ball, start kicking, miss and opponents turn.

If you make your kick and scratch, you get 1 point, but your opponent gets ball hand anywhere.
If you scratch and don't make the kick, opponent gets BIH in the kitchen.
You Never lose the ball counts you've made and pocketed.

Every once in awhile the balls cluster up, and we then both agreed to bust em.

We flip a coin to see who busts up the clusters, and that player then shoots again if a ball is slopped in.

After about 40 minutes of kicking, on that table my kicking (especially my FOCUS) improved allot.
I noticed Lare was consistently kicking two and three rail shots/short (he uses allot of horizontal spin), he enjoys them more.

We're in a high/dry/desert climate, but today it felt like Mississippi with heavy spring rain.

I told em why he was consistently missing short with his spinning cue ball (humidity).... shortly after that he kicked in two 3 railers in a row and missed the third by and inch. A three pack in this game is sporty.
These were NOT easy, one rail kicks....Lare prefers going 2 or more cushions.

I think a good game between friends first to ten would require spending $1 and play would take close to an hour to finish.

I've got a good friend who I'll play next time we meet, he and I play about even, and thus don't gamble, but this game would be fun either way, and create great bragging rights.

This game will improve your shot focus ''immensely''

bm

Last edited:

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
I play a variation of that game with a guy who is over 700 and it is a great equalizer. We use a 9 ball rack and play to 5. Takes anywhere from 5 to 45 minutes. We don't gamble and actually help each other figure out the shots using some of the systems out there. There aint no hangers.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
There was a guy in Arizona that was an absolute monster at kicking, I never saw anyone even close in my life and I been to 3 county fairs and a homecoming in Dubuque. They were playing golf on a snooker table and he had to go around twice, 5 rail kicks in the side with the object ball 4 or 5 feet away were on the menu.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Billy, there was a man in Colorado Springs.
Merl Bales, a tradesman.... everyday played Golf on a 5x10 Brunswick Gold Crown.
He played on that table for a good 35 years straight, his control was amazing.
Never missed a target/incredible control of slower speeds.
I asked em for a tip' one time about what he does to play this good.
I was hard for him to smile.
He averaged 60-80$ every day he showed up, and played 3-5 days every week.

It was at the Bowl Mor Lanes by Tejon and Interstate 25

bm

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Billy, there was a man in Colorado Springs.
Merl Bales, a tradesman.... everyday played Golf on a 5x10 Brunswick Gold Crown.
He played on that table for a good 35 years straight, his control was amazing.
Never missed a target/incredible control of slower speeds.
I asked em for a tip' one time about what he does to play this good.
I was hard for him to smile.
He averaged 60-80$ every day he showed up, and played 3-5 days every week.

It was at the Bowl Mor Lanes by Tejon and Interstate 25

bm
This gentlemans name I believe, was Cari Ames.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
B.J. no, it was Merl. I got to the springs in 71, and the sportsmans bar was attached on the w. wing. 50 lane bowling alley. Leroy Font owner.