One Pocket/Action in San Diego?

BUD GREEN

Verified Member
College Billiards and On Cue billiards in La Mesa are known as being the main players rooms. There is a pool hall out east in El Cajon where some players are who like to gamble; this hall is next to a store that makes the Dead Stroke shirts.

You won't find too many serious gamblers though. Ask for Sam Manoale or Vic Castro at College (Vic was a former pro on the camel tour and plays one pocket). If you go to a tourney night at On Cue or College you'll see most of the players who gamble in the city.

They used to have a lot of golf games on the snooker table at College but sometimes the latinos gang up and sell out to each other ( I call it the "torta" maneuver) and people stop playing.

College billiards is in a bit of a shady area so you need some city sense; the last time I was there my friend ran up and said some guy just stole his new motorcycle from across the street from the pool hall. It's a little ghetto-ish but not too bad usually; watch yourself at night.

If you are in SD on a Sunday, call Gaslamp Billiards and see if there doing their $5 special. This allows you to play all night on Gold Crowns with good cloth in a upscale atmosphere downtown. Food sucks here though. A lot of beautiful ladies walking around, other clubs,bars,restaurants nearby. Downtown is touristy but that pool deal is great and with the weather and ladies there, you have to try hard to have a bad time.

Society Billiards has a day special where you spend 10 bucks on food and you can play noon till 7 pm. Decent tables (with poor lighting, though) and the food is actually really good- there's a patio out front where you can watch all the girls go by and believe me you'll see enough 20 year olds in bikinis to make you cry. You can walk to the beach from there and its surrounded by bars,food,etc... Ask for Rick or Anthony if you want a friendly game here; my friends are good,not great players, and like to gamble a little bit for fun.

PM me if you want any food suggestions (fish tacos!). I left SD for work in the wine areas north and it kills me everyday. 73 degrees and mild today....sigh.

BackPocket9Ball

Verified Member
From
Philadelphia
Thanks for the info. I'll be there from Feb 15 through 21, and I'll probably have a couple of nights to play pool.

What nights are the tournament nights at College and On Cue?

Also, are Sam and Vic the only guys who play one pocket?

What kind of stakes could I expect them to play for?

I'll probably also try out those San Diego pool rooms you mentioned, but if I do it'll be more for drinking and sight seeing, as you suggested.

chief

Verified Member
I have played off/on in college billiards for the last 18 years,i know both Victor and Sam and they will play small or big,but will probably start small,there are about 15/20 shortstops that play 1 hole,all you have to do is get into a game the 1st night and they will all show up,I played 3 cushion in the back for years and last time I was thier they had non stop golf action on the 6x12,the nieborhood isnt as bad as it used to be,just park in the back lot

starfix_1

From
Lafayette, La.
San Diego

San Diego

The best action you will find is going to be at college billiards- Best player is Victor Castro (A). On Cue in La Mesa is also a good place, there was a guy there named, believe it or not, Steve McQueen (A). Downtown had a place, The name seemed to always change but action was usually pretty good on the weekends. To make the most money head to 32 str naval base and go to the Bowling Alley. The guy you want to play is named Hermen Love (B) and he loves to bet high. Hope this helped you, you should have no problems finding action. The college crowd (easy money) likes to play at High Society Billiards- act like a tourist and by several drinks with hundreds and they will be begging you to play. They were giving me 9-6 and the breaks for 200 a game and I could have given them 10-5.

starfix_1

From
Lafayette, La.
San Diego

San Diego

The place the guy mentioned in El Cajon is Quotes Billiards. There is a guy there named RED (High B) and he will line you up with a game. Only one table is worth anything and they really didn't keep it up.