Calling a foul

twister

Verified Member
From
Boston, MA
I was watching a Parica/Bugs one pocket match and it's the first game of the match and Parica leaves Bugs on the 'correct' side of the stack so Bugs can't shoot directly towards his hole. But he doesn't leave Bugs frozen to the stack and the ball closest to the cue ball (maybe an inch or two away) will bank in Bugs hole. Bugs being Bugs of course decides to bank the ball in his hole. While he does make the bank, he clearly and unambiguously fouls while doing so and you can see the cue ball scoot forward after Bugs double hits it.

So, my question is would you have called a foul in this case? Or is it a lost cause because Parica didn't call the TD over to watch the hit beforehand? If I'm playing a weaker opponent and I'm pretty confident I can win, I usually let something like this slide, but against a stronger player, leaving them close to the balls is supposed to negate their ability to do something like Bugs did, so there should be more incentive to make the correct call. These double hit fouls come up a lot when the cue ball is very close but not frozen to the object ball, so I'm looking forward to all your thoughts and experiences.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Too close

Too close

twister said:
I was watching a Parica/Bugs one pocket match and it's the first game of the match and Parica leaves Bugs on the 'correct' side of the stack so Bugs can't shoot directly towards his hole. But he doesn't leave Bugs frozen to the stack and the ball closest to the cue ball (maybe an inch or two away) will bank in Bugs hole. Bugs being Bugs of course decides to bank the ball in his hole. While he does make the bank, he clearly and unambiguously fouls while doing so and you can see the cue ball scoot forward after Bugs double hits it.

So, my question is would you have called a foul in this case? Or is it a lost cause because Parica didn't call the TD over to watch the hit beforehand? If I'm playing a weaker opponent and I'm pretty confident I can win, I usually let something like this slide, but against a stronger player, leaving them close to the balls is supposed to negate their ability to do something like Bugs did, so there should be more incentive to make the correct call. These double hit fouls come up a lot when the cue ball is very close but not frozen to the object ball, so I'm looking forward to all your thoughts and experiences.

TWIST, If they start to line up on the shot, stop'em, warn'em and look for a knowledgable player to call the hit. Then hope whoever you pick knows what he's looking for.
Rod.

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
Twister,

This is a great topic in my experience. I am suprised in the quantity of times I have seen players shoot shots like this while playing one pocket. Why do so many feel they can jack up (a little) and shoot away when it is clearly a foul? If you pay attention to how the cue ball rolls after the shot it is usually obvious whether it is a foul or not. In 9ball there seems to be a general understanding among most players.
But in one pocket I see shady push shots all the time. Usually they will play a shot like this when there is a dead ball or a big reversal that wouldn't be possible without fouling. Am I missing something? Is this accepted practice?

In a tournament format it seems that you have to have a TD to make a call. You might mention it to your opponent to see if they will admit that they fouled but If it turns into an argument you should let it drop because without someone to make the call you can't win. (under most rules it goes to the shooter)

When gambling If I knew someone shot shots like this I would have a third party watch the hit too. (if I had any clue they might foul)

Dudley

beatle

Verified Member
in gambling if it is a tough game i make them explain before the shot what they are doing and talk about double hits and pushes. if its a live one he gets to do whatever he wants.