Mistake or "Bad Luck" or Wrong Shot?

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
OK, I say It was the right shot hit real bad. The two needed to be cut thinner to avoid the doubble kiss and bank the the 2 rail first off the 4.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
lll said:
this shows the 4 moving from the hit on the stripe that was banked
View attachment 1894
please comment on this as an option shot
even if the double kiss was not "on" i still dont think you put him in enough trouble to ffset the advantage of moving his balls away from his pocket
how do you balance that with the shot i propose???
i want to learn .Shannon heres a chance to also give your opinion

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
lll said:
please comment on this as an option shot
even if the double kiss was not "on" i still dont think you put him in enough trouble to ffset the advantage of moving his balls away from his pocket
how do you balance that with the shot i propose???
i want to learn .Shannon heres a chance to also give your opinion

Thats not a bad shot.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Interesting situation, Dennis. I may have made the same mistake in the same situation Buddy did, because it looks like there is enough "air" between the 2 and the 10 -- but I guess maybe not!

In hindsight, I prefer nudging the combo to open them up -- even though they would probably both get knocked away next shot. larry, the thing about your long bank is that it leaves that cluster around the other guy's pocket -- you sure better hit it well and get something near your own, and tie up the cue ball.
....hmmm, maybe something else entirely?

It looks like there is enough rail between the 2-ball and the corner pocket to come lightly off of the right side of the 2-ball with inside english to kill the cue ball. That would move those two balls a bit away from the pocket. It would probably not protect the two balls near your own, but those are pretty tough to protect anyway.

Like this:

Attachments

• Greenshot_2010-12-07_21-52-51.jpg
    Greenshot_2010-12-07_21-52-51.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 0

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
NH Steve said:
Interesting situation, Dennis. I may have made the same mistake in the same situation Buddy did, because it looks like there is enough "air" between the 2 and the 10 -- but I guess maybe not!

In hindsight, I prefer nudging the combo to open them up -- even though they would probably both get knocked away next shot. larry, the thing about your long bank is that it leaves that cluster around the other guy's pocket -- you sure better hit it well and get something near your own, and tie up the cue ball.

It looks like there is enough rail between the 2-ball and the corner pocket to come lightly off of the right side of the 2-ball with inside english to kill the cue ball. That would move those two balls a bit away from the pocket. It would probably not protect the two balls near your own, but those are pretty tough to protect anyway.

Like this:
That's the shot I like, but I'd like to hit it a little harder a maybe loosen those 2 balls up a little.

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
Camera angles...Bank the 14 up and away off the other ball, caroming the two away.

Or the same bank-away drawing to the bottom rail. I'm in MOVING mode. I like this shot more. I dont mind the kick I might face the next inning either.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
NH Steve said:

Like this:
Steve, i'm going to apologize before I criticize your choice.

I'M SORRY STEVE BUT :eek:

You have a very good understaning of one pocket, and it shows in most of your shot choices, but this is clearly your worst shot choice here on OnePocket.Org.

Your shot is a wasted shot that allows your opponent back at the table with a chance to improve his position without any risk.

In this layout your opponent has a superior, threatning position, that you must try to defend against. You have several options to improve your position and establish some sort of a threat which you desperately need at this time. This is no time to be passive you must try to intimidate your opponent in some way.

Buddy imo shot the correct shot, in spite of it being a little risky. Had he executed the shot well he would of probably gotten out of the trap, and may have been a favorite to win the game. Once again i'm sorry, please forgive me/ How about if I take you out to dinner at the DCC?
Billy I.

Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
NH Steve said:

Like this:
This is a free run out shot you bank the ball to your pocket and if it kisses either ball it will go in. And you get a shot too run out.

And the cue ball goes behind the ball thats off the rail and hits it too your side off the table. And the shot is laying perfect. And its free.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
wincardona said:
Steve, i'm going to apologize before I criticize your choice.

I'M SORRY STEVE BUT :eek:

You have a very good understaning of one pocket, and it shows in most of your shot choices, but this is clearly your worst shot choice here on OnePocket.Org.

Your shot is a wasted shot that allows your opponent back at the table with a chance to improve his position without any risk.

In this layout your opponent has a superior, threatning position, that you must try to defend against. You have several options to improve your position and establish some sort of a threat which you desperately need at this time. This is no time to be passive you must try to intimidate your opponent in some way.

Buddy imo shot the correct shot, in spite of it being a little risky. Had he executed the shot well he would of probably gotten out of the trap, and may have been a favorite to win the game. Once again i'm sorry, please forgive me/ How about if I take you out to dinner at the DCC?
Billy I.
lol, it has been empirically proven that I do make some bad choices now and then -- plus good choices that I hit bad. ...and it's true that often it's hard to know the difference. Dinner is a winner though :)

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
win cardona said:
Buddy imo shot the correct shot, in spite of it being a little risky. Had he executed the shot well he would of probably gotten out of the trap, and may have been a favorite to win the game.
Billy I.
Not to play "gotcha" or anything (it's not fair) but I think your commentary 12 years ago was correct when I heard it and I think it's correct today. Steve will have to forego his dinner:) . Here it is, in part:

At 13:05, when Buddy first looked at the shot:

Danny DiLiberto: Bank the 2 at the balls.

Cardone: That double-kiss is real ugly.

D.D.: It's close but if he shoots it I'm sure he won't get the kiss.

Cardone: The 12 ball is a problem ball & might create a double-kiss off of the 2.

As Buddy lines up @14:45, one minute and 40 seconds later:

Cardone: I think he's going to shoot the 12, shooting the 2 is too risky.

After Buddy shoots:

D.D. You were right, that was a dumb shot.

The 12 stopped Buddy from cutting the 2 thinner to bank it. The 2 couldn't be banked by one of the best players ever, what makes any of you think that you could have done it? He made a mistake in judgement that Billy I. noted a full minute and 40 seconds before Buddy shot the shot.

Can anybody just accept that we can't see the angles and distances on these shots as well as Bill obviously could at the match?

You have Billy I. saying that it's a bad shot and Danny D. pretty much saying that if Buddy elects to shoot it then it must be O.K., giving Buddy the benefit of the doubt (he was wrong), and one of the best players ever executing the shot. Buddy made a mistake in judgement, that's all.

Trust me, I'm a Cowboy:) .

Dennis

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
Not to play "gotcha" or anything (it's not fair) but I think your commentary 12 years ago was correct when I heard it and I think it's correct today. Steve will have to forego his dinner:) . Here it is, in part:

At 13:05, when Buddy first looked at the shot:

Danny DiLiberto: Bank the 2 at the balls.

Cardone: That double-kiss is real ugly.

D.D.: It's close but if he shoots it I'm sure he won't get the kiss.

Cardone: The 12 ball is a problem ball & might create a double-kiss off of the 2.

As Buddy lines up @14:45, one minute and 40 seconds later:

Cardone: I think he's going to shoot the 12, shooting the 2 is too risky.

After Buddy shoots:

D.D. You were right, that was a dumb shot.

The 12 stopped Buddy from cutting the 2 thinner to bank it. The 2 couldn't be banked by one of the best players ever, what makes any of you think that you could have done it? He made a mistake in judgement that Billy I. noted a full minute and 40 seconds before Buddy shot the shot.

Can anybody just accept that we can't see the angles and distances on these shots as well as Bill obviously could at the match?

You have Billy I. saying that it's a bad shot and Danny D. pretty much saying that if Buddy elects to shoot it then it must be O.K., giving Buddy the benefit of the doubt (he was wrong), and one of the best players ever executing the shot. Buddy made a mistake in judgement, that's all.

Trust me, I'm a Cowboy:) .

Dennis

I would like to speak on two points here in regard to the shot that Buddy opted to shoot.

I believed it was a fairly risky shot, but it carried such a high mark in terms of efficiency that Buddy chose that shot over the mistake free 14--4 combo that he looked at, and almost shot. But my two points are, for those who thought there were better options must now realize that even with the risk, that was a concern for Buddy, the shot looked so appealing that he forced himself to shoot it. Which should tell us that the shot was so good that it may have impaired his judjement.;) Was it the right shot, considering the circumstances? If he had enough room to execute the shot at least 80% of the time I believe it's the right shot. If you feel that there isn't a kiss, then it is clearly the best option in terms of effectiveness and degree of difficulty.

Billy I.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
wincardona said:
I would like to speak on two points here in regard to the shot that Buddy opted to shoot.

I believed it was a fairly risky shot, but it carried such a high mark in terms of efficiency that Buddy chose that shot over the mistake free 14--4 combo that he looked at, and almost shot. But my two points are, for those who thought there were better options must now realize that even with the risk, that was a concern for Buddy, the shot looked so appealing that he forced himself to shoot it. Which should tell us that the shot was so good that it may have impaired his judjement.;) Was it the right shot, considering the circumstances? If he had enough room to execute the shot at least 80% of the time I believe it's the right shot. If you feel that there isn't a kiss, then it is clearly the best option in terms of effectiveness and degree of difficulty.

Billy I.
If I was going to shoot a shot like the 2 ball anyway, I would opt for this instead. Shot with outside(right) draw-spin. Of course, we have to give Buddy the benefit of the doubt, he was the one who could see it the best.

I think the shot was bumping the 14 and knocking the 4 in front of his pocket. The 14 is dead in JJ's pocket as he shows in a few shots.

Greenshot_2010-12-08_14-49-41.jpg