Efren Reyes vs. Nick Varner 1999 D.C.C. #2

Skin

Verified Member
Thats another plausable shot Skin...What seems to have been lost here, all goes back to Efren NOT shooting the 3 ball, and creating a threat ball...As was proposed by most on this board, as the shot they would have shot. As did even your "average moving" homie, Goatsy... see post #16)

It all boils down to that...Had he chosen to cut the 3, all those other return options, distance vs side rail trap, would have become a moot point... I must say however, the Goatsy's first choice shot (for Efren), was a wild, full table, off the rail, panic shot,.... relying almost strictly on luck for success.(**)

I wonder why he was the ONLY one touting that shot..Must be the sheer genius in him..:lol

If he wants to take credit for being the first to come up with cutting the 3, Let him have it.. Just remember, he called it a "2nd choice" conservative shot..:rolleyes:

View attachment 4236 (**) <<<<<<<<

I tried to post a comments on Ghost's choices but had trouble logging in. What I wanted to say about his first choice was a) I liked the potential result but b) forget it because I don't like no jacked-up, table-length, sell-out shots if there is ANYTHING else.

I also would have agreed with his second choice of going off the 3, which is what I first saw. And for the record, I agree with Fred's way of shooting it.

You, as always, are right about creating the threat with the 3 and taking away half the table as a leave. That's what I thought, too. For once, I think I thunk mistake free! :eek:

Skin

ChrisBanks

Verified Member
From
Rochester, NY
I set the balls up and tried to shoot the 3 two times. I missed the 3 both shots, but my cueball got past the 4 both times, and rolled a few inches past it.

I tried recording the shots but I can't seem to find a good angle to set my camera.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I set the balls up and tried to shoot the 3 two times. I missed the 3 both shots, but my cueball got past the 4 both times, and rolled a few inches past it.

I tried recording the shots but I can't seem to find a good angle to set my camera.

Good control Chris. I doubted that the 3 ball would get close, either rubbing it or going thru it. Take care of whitey and he'll take care of you.:D
Rod.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

the idea was to get the 3 over there somewhere as a threat
main idea was to get safe
seems like you did it:)

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Or maybe this one .
Rod.

I like your shot Rod if I could be sure to get out of the kiss. There's even a possibility to have one drop in for you then you're in position to run some more.

I think some others here suggest to take the cue ball up table to use the 3 as protection and that is ok but if you put a player in an offensive mode and force them to take a shot at the 2 ball, it could come back to bite you. That 2 ball looks playable to me and especially for a good ball pocketer like Efren.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
tyler is this ^^^what you mean without the intentional??

Yeah. But that figures because i duck a lot like mr. mcmorran. duckers all move alike :) haha

i highly prefer that intentional though. seems like you're destined to give up your position without it.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown

I think I'll move the 6 over to my long rail and go up and down with the cb to a little above the second diamond from his hole.
Skin

Thats another plausable shot Skin

Skin.....Unlike Papie, I don't mind admitting it if I slept something...and I slept noticing your shot, as being another way of getting to cueball over to the optimum position, on the opposite long rail 1-2 diamonds up from Efren's pocket...as long as there's room to go past the 3 ball without hitting it, after coming off of the 6 ball, then your shot is not a "plausable shot" as Papie so generously grants you :rolleyes: - it is the best shot here - fer sure...:cool:

- Ghost

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA

I think I'll move the 6 over to my long rail and go up and down with the cb to a little above the second diamond from his hole.

Skin

I am banking the stripe ball near the end rail and the middle of the table and putting the cue ball where Ghost and Rod suggest, 1 1/2 diamonds up from the pocket.

I WILL NOT GET A KISS because I will hold the butt of the cue loosely (Something I learned from Freddy) to speed up the cue ball and miss the kiss.

This is the most obvious shot to me. Both offensive and defensive at the same time.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Thank you for your generous offer... However, I would take almost any other local 9 baller, say Mitch Ellerman (who can't even spell one pocket) or Gus Briseno, and try you on for a few sets...

SuperDuck...if you ain't askeered..:cool:

My dear Mr Duckmorran.....Wow, what a generous counter-offer you have made :rolleyes: - I can play "Mitch Ellerman or Gus Briseno" - the two best One Pocket players in Arizona, two guys who have offered/ or would give John H. 2 balls - and I play even with John - that's a real sporty offer from you :rolleyes:...

...oh, but wait - you called them "9 ballers", and said "they can't spell One Pocket", so I guess I should play them then...they must not be the same Mitch and Gus that I see spotting Bernie 2 balls in all of Lenny's Kolby's tournament streams...:rolleyes:...

...instead of 30 years old, are any of these Arizona guys that you want me to play around my age by the way? = 64....no, I didn't think so - come up with one that is, and I'll play...:cool:

- Ghrosty

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I am banking the stripe ball near the end rail and the middle of the table and putting the cue ball where Ghost and Rod suggest, 1 1/2 diamonds up from the pocket.

I WILL NOT GET A KISS because I will hold the butt of the cue loosely (Something I learned from Freddy) to speed up the cue ball and miss the kiss.

This is the most obvious shot to me. Both offensive and defensive at the same time.

John,

That shot is workable, but you are shooting almost off the rail, and it limits how much LH side-spin you can get on the cue ball...It would only be 'high left"...Given that, I would worry about maybe hitting the 14, coming off the bottom rail, and getting a distasterous kiss...Also, the necessary HLH spin, increases the chance of a kiss of some kind... Rod is not as dumb as he looks,:))) but I think the shot should be classified, as a 'little' risky...Not a gimmie. Even the Goats was askeered of it...(but he's skeered of almost everything)..:rolleyes:

The joy of these WEI tables, is we can execute any shot, our heart desires..Looking at it in the real world, we may have to pass on it... I think that is what leads to the fact, that we all see our "pet shot" a little different.

I hope you agree, that if Efren had shot the right shot (3 ball) to begin with.. all these return shots, would be a moot point anyway...:cool:

I should also like to comment on the "self appointed, world's 2nd and 3rd greatest one pocket movers",.and let them know, that may be true, but, only in their little world of Chicago...The three West coast "R's", (Ronnie, Richie, and Richard) would have had them "shell-shocked"...even before we ever really learned the game...:D :D

Last edited:

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California

Johnny, I just tried this shot of Anrod's a number of times and it works just fine! There is no kiss involved (unless you horribly over-cut the object ball) and the induced spin to the object ball takes just fine. Hardly a little left English is needed to get the cue ball to the desired area, making it a piece of cake to get past the 14 ball, even shooting it off the rail. Like you said this an offensive/defensive shot. Almost like taking two shots in one turn.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown

Hey Papie....now that Rod, Frank, Skin and even your own partner in crime John H. have agreed with what I said in my first post - that leaving the cueball 1 1/2 diamonds up from Efren's pocket is the strongest thing that you can do here, period - are you ready to admit now that your shot-choice was not the correct choice?..:)...

Or are you still too Irish-pig-headed-stubborn like this little red guy > :frus to admit it
...:D :p :D

- Ghrosty

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Johnny, I just tried this shot of Anrod's a number of times and it works just fine! There is no kiss involved (unless you horribly over-cut the object ball) and the induced spin to the object ball takes just fine. Hardly a little left English is needed to get the cue ball to the desired area, making it a piece of cake to get past the 14 ball, even shooting it off the rail. Like you said this an offensive/defensive shot. Almost like taking two shots in one turn.

As I have no table to practice a shot on anymore, (which I never did anyway)... I shall take your word Frank, and stand corrected in my usually accurate analysis...:cool: I guess I took Goatsy's opinion of the perils of the shot too seriously..Should have known he was wrong..:frus

However, Fortunately, those other two guy's on here, could not convince me that the one ball, might be yellow..:heh

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
John H...

John H...

Louder! I cant hear you!

Beard

I dont recall ever telling you that. You must have one of my DVDs that you secretly watch.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Louder! I cant hear you!

Beard

I dont recall ever telling you that. You must have one of my DVDs that you secretly watch.

He probably forgot, that I may have told him..I have been using the "loose grip"... for various executions, since I was 14 yrs old....:eek:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
However, Fortunately, those other two guy's on here, could not convince me that the one ball, might be yellow..:heh

Hey Freddy....Papie is referring to you...he's back to insulting you again :eek: I think you need to retaliate...:cool:

- Ghrosty <------- Wouldn't dream of trying to start trouble between Papie and Freddy again...;)...:D

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Oh,Really...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I Love these paper trails, when some, "know-it all" dufus, steps on his dinkus...:p.. (original post is #40, sports fans)

And I don't care what Nick shoots here either...the place you want to get the cueball to in this spot, is in the area where Rod proposed/positioned it - on the opposite long rail, from 1 to 2 diamonds up from Efren's pocket - that's the place where the guy is trapped....but I wouldn't risk trying to get there via Rod's shot - too tough - you're shooting off the rail - way too much chance of having the cueball hit the 14 ball, or accidentally shooting the banked ball into the pocket points, or kissing the banked ball...instead, the way to get to Rod's spot on the long rail is by using my 3 rail, reverse english kick, Blah,Blah,Blah.
View attachment 4238

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
My dear Mr Duckmorran.....Wow, what a generous counter-offer you have made - I can play "Mitch Ellerman or Gus Briseno" - the two best One Pocket players in Arizona, two guys who have offered/ or would give John H. 2 balls - and I play even with John - that's a real sporty offer from you :rolleyes:...

...oh, but wait - you called them "9 ballers", and said "they can't spell One Pocket", so I guess I should play them then...they must not be the same Mitch and Gus that I see spotting Bernie 2 balls in all of Lenny's Kolby's tournament streams...

...instead of 30 years old, are any of these Arizona guys that you want me to play around my age by the way? = 64....no, I didn't think so - come up with one that is my age, and I'll play...

- Ghrosty

Hey Papie....now that Rod, Frank, Skin and even your own partner in crime John H. have agreed with what I said in my first post - that leaving the cueball 1 1/2 diamonds up from Efren's pocket is the strongest thing that you can do here, period - are you ready to admit now that your shot-choice was not the correct choice?..:)...

Or are you still too Irish-pig-headed-stubborn like this little red guy > :frus to admit it
...:D

- Ghrosty

Hey Papie.....You conveniently failed to respond to my two earlier posts with questions for you, so let me re-post them here...and I've re-posted them in LARGE TYPE to make sure that your bleary old Yukon Jack-addled eyes can read them...:eek: