15 to 10 or 8 to 6; opinions please

BillPorter

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
There is a guy at the local pool hall who usually spots me 8 to 6. We have played several times this way and overall are about even. Today he gave me 15 to 10. We broke even in a short session of 4 games. A local shortstop, after observing our game, came over to me and said that 15 to 10 might be mathematically better than 8 to 6, but I would have a better game at 8 to 6. His agrument was that I might run 5 or 6 to win a game at 8 to 6, but I surely wasn't going to run 9 or 10. So I asked my opponent who had just returned to the table area whether he would rather give me 8 to 6 or 15 to 10 and he said 15 to 10. We're old friends and I figure he was probably being truthful. So what do you think? We have some world class players who check into this forum from time to time, so which is the better spot for the weaker player - 15 to 10 or 8 to 6? Thanks in advance for your help on this question.:)

SJDinPHX

Suspended
BillPorter said:
There is a guy at the local pool hall who usually spots me 8 to 6. We have played several times this way and overall are about even. Today he gave me 15 to 10. We broke even in a short session of 4 games. A local shortstop, after observing our game, came over to me and said that 15 to 10 might be mathematically better than 8 to 6, but I would have a better game at 8 to 6. His agrument was that I might run 5 or 6 to win a game at 8 to 6, but I surely wasn't going to run 9 or 10. So I asked my opponent who had just returned to the table area whether he would rather give me 8 to 6 or 15 to 10 and he said 15 to 10. We're old friends and I figure he was probably being truthful. So what do you think? We have some world class players who check into this forum from time to time, so which is the better spot for the weaker player - 15 to 10 or 8 to 6? Thanks in advance for your help on this question.:)

Hi Bill,
I think your friend was being truthful. If 8 to 6 is a fairly close game for you guys, I would think he would have the best of it playing you 15 to 10.
The top end, assuming he moves decent and runs balls when he should, is not as important (to him) as the fact that he has you making a lot more balls to win. You would have an even worse game at say 18 to 12. JMHO.

Dick

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
scratches

scratches

One often overlooked consideration in the ongoing game stategy of a One Pocket match is the effect of accidental scratches and other serious mistakes. The longer the game, the more inevitable that the weaker player will either suffer a nasty pocket scratch, or a horrible sell-out, because they simply don't have as good control over the cue ball as the better player. When that slip-up happens, there goes the handicap :) The longer the game, the more inevitable the sell out, for damn sure.