2012 One Pocket HOF Call for Nominations

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
It is that time of year again -- time for nominations for the 9th annual One Pocket Hall of Fame ballot.

Over the last eight years we have elected twenty-seven well-deserving players into the One Pocket Hall of Fame:

* Ronnie 'Fast Eddie' Allen * Jack 'Jersey Red' Breit * Artie Bodendorfer * Melvin 'Strawberry' Brooks * Billy 'Cornbread Red' Burge * Marshall 'Squirrel' Carpenter * Steve Cook * Jack Cooney * Danny Di Liberto * John 'Rags' Fitzpatrick * Jimmy Fusco * Cecil 'Buddy' Hall * Marvin Henderson * Allen Hopkins * Billy Incardona * Larry 'Boston Shorty' Johnson * Ed 'Champagne Eddie' Kelly * Hayden Lingo * 'San Jose Dick' McMorran * Grady 'Professor' Mathews * Jose Parica * Efren 'Bata' Reyes * Leonard 'Bugs' Rucker * Bill 'Weenie Beenie' Staton * Eddie 'Knoxville Bear' Taylor * Nick Varner * Rudolf 'Fats' Wanderone

Yet there are many other One Pocket greats who certainly deserve to be honored, and it is time now to turn our attention to this year's slate of deserving candidates.

You are all now invited to use this nominations thread to suggest names for this year’s ballot, or to comment on the candidates that others have suggested. In November the final list of candidates will be placed into the 9th annual OnePocket.org Hall of Fame poll, and the voting can begin!

So, who do you like for this year’s nominees, and why should they join the legends already in the One Pocket Hall of Fame? Don’t be shy about sharing your knowledge or opinions about who belongs on this year’s ballot; this is the right time to air it out. The more we all know about the candidates, the better informed we will be when it comes time to vote, and the more unified we will be in celebrating this coming January’s inductees.

Selection criteria for the One Pocket Hall of Fame:

1. Great Players who have demonstrated their excellence in tournament competition over time.

2. After Hours Legends who have demonstrated their excellence and their heart by matching up against the best of their time.

3. Teachers and Promoters of the game who have had a lasting impact on the growth and popularity of One Pocket.

Please note that players do not have to be 'tournament winners' to qualify for the One Pocket Hall of Fame – action guys are a huge part of the legacy of One Pocket. Likewise, people that have had more of an impact as teachers and promoters of the game are clearly invited too.

The 9th annual One Pocket Hall of Fame dinner is already scheduled for Tuesday, January 29, 2013 during the 15th Annual Derby City Classic. The dinner is a fantastic event with a very entertaining cast of characters. Besides the current inductees and their families and friends, all the previous inductees are also invited, and the crowd becomes a veritable who’s who of pool action over the last 50 years. Every year this event has sold out and people are turned away, so make your reservations early!

Please note, in order to vote this year, you will have to be a “Verified Member”. If you feel you should be verified, and are not, please explain either by private message to me, or by using the Contact Us email form. Be patient, this is done manually, case by case.

And finally, please get involved in the discussion; I would think that everyone here either has questions or answers or both, so there is no excuse not to jump in!

SJDinPHX

Suspended
It is that time of year again -- time for nominations for the 9th annual One Pocket Hall of Fame ballot.

Over the last eight years we have elected twenty-seven well-deserving players into the One Pocket Hall of Fame:

* Ronnie 'Fast Eddie' Allen * Jack 'Jersey Red' Breit * Artie Bodendorfer * Melvin 'Strawberry' Brooks * Billy 'Cornbread Red' Burge * Marshall 'Squirrel' Carpenter * Steve Cook * Jack Cooney * Danny Di Liberto * John 'Rags' Fitzpatrick * Jimmy Fusco * Cecil 'Buddy' Hall * Marvin Henderson * Allen Hopkins * Billy Incardona * Larry 'Boston Shorty' Johnson * Ed 'Champagne Eddie' Kelly * Hayden Lingo * 'San Jose Dick' McMorran * Grady 'Professor' Mathews * Jose Parica * Efren 'Bata' Reyes * Leonard 'Bugs' Rucker * Bill 'Weenie Beenie' Staton * Eddie 'Knoxville Bear' Taylor * Nick Varner * Rudolf 'Fats' Wanderone

Yet there are many other One Pocket greats who certainly deserve to be honored, and it is time now to turn our attention to this year's slate of deserving candidates.

You are all now invited to use this nominations thread to suggest names for this year’s ballot, or to comment on the candidates that others have suggested. In November the final list of candidates will be placed into the 9th annual OnePocket.org Hall of Fame poll, and the voting can begin!

So, who do you like for this year’s nominees, and why should they join the legends already in the One Pocket Hall of Fame? Don’t be shy about sharing your knowledge or opinions about who belongs on this year’s ballot; this is the right time to air it out. The more we all know about the candidates, the better informed we will be when it comes time to vote, and the more unified we will be in celebrating this coming January’s inductees.

Selection criteria for the One Pocket Hall of Fame:

1. Great Players who have demonstrated their excellence in tournament competition over time.

2. After Hours Legends who have demonstrated their excellence and their heart by matching up against the best of their time.

3. Teachers and Promoters of the game who have had a lasting impact on the growth and popularity of One Pocket.

Please note that players do not have to be 'tournament winners' to qualify for the One Pocket Hall of Fame – action guys are a huge part of the legacy of One Pocket. Likewise, people that have had more of an impact as teachers and promoters of the game are clearly invited too.

The 9th annual One Pocket Hall of Fame dinner is already scheduled for Tuesday, January 29, 2013 during the 15th Annual Derby City Classic. The dinner is a fantastic event with a very entertaining cast of characters. Besides the current inductees and their families and friends, all the previous inductees are also invited, and the crowd becomes a veritable who’s who of pool action over the last 50 years. Every year this event has sold out and people are turned away, so make your reservations early!

Please note, in order to vote this year, you will have to be a “Verified Member”. If you feel you should be verified, and are not, please explain either by private message to me, or by using the Contact Us email form. Be patient, this is done manually, case by case.

And finally, please get involved in the discussion; I would think that everyone here either has questions or answers or both, so there is no excuse not to jump in!

I would like to nominate Shannon Daulton, and Scott Frost..Both for obvious reasons...There are a few other worthy candidates, but who else is more deserving, than these two guy's..It should be a close race (or maybe a two-fer ?)

Deceased, how about Harold Worst..I know 1P was not his primary game, but who could beat him at it ANYTHING..Had he lived long enough, I'm sure he would have honed his 1P game, where maybe even Efren might not have liked it...Short as it was, he surely qualifies for a "Lifetime in Action" award..

Last edited:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I would like to nominate Shannon Daulton, and Scott Frost..Both for obvious reasons...There are a few other worthy candidates, but who else is more deserving, than these two guy's..It should be a close race (or maybe a two-fer ?)

PS..And when it comes time, if we are sending someone to Vegas again, for the US Open 1P tourn, I would like to like to nominate John Henderson.. What better ambassador for 1P.org..I'm aware he said he wasn't planning on going, but if we vote him in, how can he refuse :confused: :D

Thanks Dick, but someone else deserves a turn too & I am sure I will not make it this year.

I am planning to make a trip to Chicago to play Ghosty in December & pump him up for The Derby.

Deeman

Verified Member
It has to be hard to see anyone more deserving than Shannon.

DeeMan

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Thanks Dick, but someone else deserves a turn too & I am sure I will not make it this year.--> The senile old Duck, had forgotten you went last year, (or was it 2 yrs. ago ?)

I am planning to make a trip to Chicago to play Ghosty in December & pump him up for The Derby.

If I can wish you 'Good Luck' in Chicago, without pissing anyone off..consider it done..:p

PS..If you need it, I have a spare $30-$40...I could take half your action ?? ;) :p-->>> :focus...Lets get out those nominations..!

Jimmy B

Verified Member

Deceased, how about Harold Worst..I know 1P was not his primary game, but who could beat him at it ANYTHING..Had he lived long enough, I'm sure he would have honed his 1P game, where maybe even Efren might not have liked it...Short as it was, he surely qualifies for a "Lifetime in Action" award..

These are exactly the three that I think should go in THIS year. I also want to nominate Ralph Eckert for both Hall Of Fames and President as well after his showing against The Cannon tonight. I knew I was going to stay home so I bought the evening stream only to watch while I was watching the world series plus I thought my adobe player was ****ed up so I wanted to check it out. Anyway it worked perfect and Eckert shot SD into a give up mode. The wing ball was flying straight in if you knew how to rack and break soft. Alana S. will be there Sat to perform. Barry said he had her contractually locked in forever, so make sure to buy the accu-stat show at least on the last day. But seriously, these are the three I will vote for if nominated for sure....

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i'd like to nominate paul bresloff(sp?) aka jew paul for lifetime in action award
i think shannon and scott would be excellent chouces
age (or time in one pocket) has been a factor for nomination in the past
but at least for shannon he was winning tournaments and beating champions when he was a teenager
so he has been a force in one pocket for a long time

i think steve booth would be a great teacher promoter
since he promoted /started/runs the site
and the site is very educational
(entertaing at times too) but thats not a category:D
seriously i would like to nominate steve booth for the teacher/promotion category

Last edited:

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
Living I would pass up Scott and Shannon because they are both still young, wait a couple more years. Maybe vote in Cliff and deceased would be Johnny Ervolino. Lifetime in action goes to Archie the Greek!

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
TEACHER AND PROMOTING-J R Hendy No one on the best coast has done more to teach one pocket and promote the game than Gentleman John.:cool:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Shannon Daulton is the logical choice for players who are living, he along with Cliff Joyner. The deceased category is tougher with players like Ervolino, and Mizerak, in particular. Then we have the Life Time In Action Award, you have to recognize Paul Brusloff, and Archie Carras, like Lenny mentioned. Both of these guys have been in action...steadily... for over 30 to 40 years.

My choices for all three categories are ....Daulton...Ervolino...Brusloff....

Dr. Bill

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Shannon Daulton is the logical choice for players who are living, he along with Cliff Joyner. The deceased category is tougher with players like Ervolino, and Mizerak, in particular. Then we have the Life Time In Action Award, you have to recognize Paul Brusloff, and Archie Carras, like Lenny mentioned. Both of these guys have been in action...steadily... for over 30 to 40 years.

Dr. Bill

Billy; Looks like you got it right on the MONEY, as expected!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
nominations

nominations

I agree Shannon should go in........a few years. He still has a lot of play left in him and he barely shaves. I would like to see "Patch Eye" nominated. The HOF needs to get some of these older players in before they cant pick up their recognition. The younger guys have lots of time to be nominated and inducted. Whats the rush? Lets recognize the players that carried the game to what it is today. :cool:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Having 3 categories from which to use as criteria does not mean that it's necessary to induct someone every year for each.

Shannon and Cliff will be put in, it's just a matter of when. They've both been winning 1P tournaments and cash matches for over 20 years. Cliff is older, and might get the nod before Shannon, although Shannon has probably won more tournaments. But we don't have to put them in this year.

Johnny Ervolino has been proposed for several years. He wasn't the greatest 1P player of all time, but of course there are several others in the HOF who weren't either. Ervolino's name is practically synonymous with one-pocket. IMO this is the year to induct him.

We've likewise passed over several guys in the teachers/promoters category. Greg Sullivan and Mark Griffin are names that immediately come to mind as men who, without their efforts, we might not have much one-pocket today. It would be nice to see them on the ballot. Eddie Robin has been brought up several times. And, of course, Steve Booth must be put in at some point. It's obvious that his efforts have promoted one-pocket since 2004, and one-pocket would not be what it is today without his activities. Steve will resist this idea, but sooner or later we must put him in.

Parenthetically, it's probably not necessary --the HOF dinner at DCC notwithstanding-- to have a current player inducted each year.

Doc

jazznpool

Verified Member
From
Orange, CA

Dr. Bill

I was thinking "Jew Paul" Brusloff too. I believe he's still living in Detroit area but has been away from the pool scene for 3 or more years. Lot's of players made serious bucks hustling his "Pyrex style" glass cookware in the early 70's. The man was serious action until the very day he stopped playing. I have immense respect for him.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Having 3 categories from which to use as criteria does not mean that it's necessary to induct someone every year for each.

Shannon and Cliff will be put in, it's just a matter of when. They've both been winning 1P tournaments and cash matches for over 20 years. Cliff is older, and might get the nod before Shannon, although Shannon has probably won more tournaments. But we don't have to put them in this year.

Johnny Ervolino has been proposed for several years. He wasn't the greatest 1P player of all time, but of course there are several others in the HOF who weren't either. Ervolino's name is practically synonymous with one-pocket. IMO this is the year to induct him.

We've likewise passed over several guys in the teachers/promoters category. Greg Sullivan and Mark Griffin are names that immediately come to mind as men who, without their efforts, we might not have much one-pocket today. It would be nice to see them on the ballot. Eddie Robin has been brought up several times. And, of course, Steve Booth must be put in at some point. It's obvious that his efforts have promoted one-pocket since 2004, and one-pocket would not be what it is today without his activities. Steve will resist this idea, but sooner or later we must put him in.

Parenthetically, it's probably not necessary --the HOF dinner at DCC notwithstanding-- to have a current player inducted each year.

Doc

wasnt johnny really known for straight pool??
i know he taught onepockethacker how to play
but wasnt he a straight pool player???

i wasnt around and wouldnt kow\
just askin

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
im biased to earl heisler
he owned the sports palace in new orleans and played anyone that came thru
if the old timers that know his speed dont think he shoud be in the hof he should be considered fot lifetime action
he played for cash through out his life
there is a picture of him in eddie robbins book with the caption
"a very good onepocket player"
this is from memory
i look thru the books tommorrow and reference the page
i still think shannon although young in years
although for what its worth has a picture in eddies books when he was 17
and was a co author in shots moves and strategies in the early 1990's

onepockethacker

Verified Member
wasnt johnny really known for straight pool??
i know he taught onepockethacker how to play
but wasnt he a straight pool player???

i wasnt around and wouoldnt kow\
just askin

I would love to see Johnny inducted this year. He played everything well Larry, although his break sucked in 9 ball. Playing the table he was a monster though. I was friends with Mizerak and Ervolino and am friends with Danny D. All 3 of them taught me alot, however Ervolinos knowledge was unbelievable. However seeing how Johnny and now Danny struggle in later years is a big reason im not dedicated or really into pool anymore. I was staking Johnny against Mizerak one time in Jupiter Florida at Kiss Shot billiards. Mizerak needed one ball and Johnny needed 2 and Mizerak played a safe(at least Steve thought it was safe) but while the ball was still rolling but slowing down Johnny said out loud UH OH. Johnny got up and made a really creative shot to get both balls. Johnny was a very aggressive player(the style I prefer when playing well) but sometimes I guess he was too aggressive but he had an unbelievably creative mind.