2023 MOT, California bound! But when and where?

When should the 2023 MOT be held, end of March/early April or early November?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Fast Eddys in Santa Cruz will host the MOT anytime we want and he will make sure a food truck sits outside for the duration of the tournament. There are several Hotels within walking distance, Marriot and Best Western. In addition to the $3000 added, there is a health nut restaurant next door to Eddys. He has 14 tables available plus two Diamonds. The rest are Gold Crowns. Eddys is located in Capitola ca near San Jose and the distance to the pool room is about the same as going to Ca Billiards. The beach is about a mile away. The topless beach is about two miles away. But who cares about beaches when there is one pocket. Todd is also open to a regional MOT. Todd will open and close to suit our needs.

Just curious: what can you tell us about what edition the GCs are and the size of their pockets?

Lou Figueroa

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
It reminds me of the old days at the original CB’s. I went in the joint and played Sarge one pocket for $5 a game. I lost 17 games. The next time I went in, there was a line to play me. Best investment I ever made playing Sarge. The line grew shorter as I busted the saps. Best thing about the place was they stayed open until 4am. By the time I reached Santa Cruz, the sun was coming up as I hit the beach. LL isn’t in such good shape. I saw him a few weeks ago and he is a shadow of his former self Much like myself. I had a brain scan myself and they told me I had a stroke recently to go along with a couple of mild heart dysfunctions.
Is it too late for me to practice? My stroke went to the left coast somewhere

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
If my memory can be relied on, Fast Eddie’s had a couple tight tables the regulars played one pocket on. I have not played down there in years.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Odds are they are buckets
I dont think so. There are quite a few accomplished one pocket players there, and a short stop that could have been pro. He played many nine ball top players at Eddys. The old tables, with leather drop pockets were buckets but then they started putting in GC’s. And that was years ago. Yes it is in a tourist town but the tables are priority one. Todd is converting to Diamonds slowly. Maintenance, new rugs, painting ceiling, removing an old shed roof, new tv’s. Todd will treat us right. He knows two of the former owners. John has played there and it was quite the exciting night. He can tell the story if he remembers.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
I dont think so. There are quite a few accomplished one pocket players there, and a short stop that could have been pro. He played many nine ball top players at Eddys. The old tables, with leather drop pockets were buckets but then they started putting in GC’s. And that was years ago. Yes it is in a tourist town but the tables are priority one. Todd is converting to Diamonds slowly. Maintenance, new rugs, painting ceiling, removing an old shed roof, new tv’s. Todd will treat us right. He knows two of the former owners. John has played there and it was quite the exciting night. He can tell the story if he remembers.

I believe all you say but it would be good to know how tight the majority of the tables are if it's going to be a 1pocket tournament.

If they are GC2's, and have not been modified, what Pilot said is very likely to be accurate.

Lou Figueroa

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I believe all you say but it would be good to know how tight the majority of the tables are if it's going to be a 1pocket tournament.

If they are GC2's, and have not been modified, what Pilot said is very likely to be accurate.

Lou Figueroa
I am thinking of it as a regional. Much like the Memphis regional. Todd caters to the players first. Pilot is speculating on a hypothosis

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Recommending Tijuana!

Seems to me Oscars room is set up perfectly, with streaming booth included.
Streaming is not the problem. The guy that streams at Oscars knows nothing about one pocket and spends his time chatting. We, OPORG, can set.up our own stream and members will do the commentary about the games. Plus there are NO hotels near Oscar’s in walking distance. Sacremento airport is not near the pool room. Food is better at CB’s.++++ more

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Streaming is not the problem. The guy that streams at Oscars knows nothing about one pocket and spends his time chatting. We, OPORG, can set.up our own stream and members will do the commentary about the games. Plus there are NO hotels near Oscar’s in walking distance. Sacremento airport is not near the pool room. Food is better at CB’s.++++ more
I'm good with California Billiards.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA

Collins knows he is not an expert one pocket commentator, that’s why he has guests when he streams one pocket. His stream is interactive and he responds to all the comments, and does not do much commentating unless he is by himself, then he does his best. Chances are, he will be the streamer. We will have to check with Chris once we have a date.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Collins knows he is not an expert one pocket commentator, that’s why he has guests when he streams one pocket. His stream is interactive and he responds to all the comments, and does not do much commentating unless he is by himself, then he does his best. Chances are, he will be the streamer. We will have to check with Chris once we have a date.
I can bring my equipment down if Daniel will set it up on his platform. As a MOT, we should have control of the stream.