3 person one pocket

thinker

i have heard there is a game like this. name of tghe game is domething like widow one pocket. can anyone clarify 4 me the name and the rules thanks

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
thinker said:
i have heard there is a game like this. name of tghe game is domething like widow one pocket. can anyone clarify 4 me the name and the rules thanks
The only thing I can think of I have heard called 'captain' -- which is basically like a partner's game, except that whoever is 'captain' is essentially their own partner, vs the other two guys who become standard partners. I haven't ever done this myself. I assume it would not be the 'Scotch Doubles' kind of partnership where partner's alternate every shot, but rather it would be the standard partnership where partner's alternate innings.

Many of you guys have probably seen the unusual variation of this when Ronnie Allen, alternates playing one-handed and two-handed against Harry Platis and Keith McCready (who were traditional partners). There is a dvd or video of this that is often on eBay.

Voodoo Daddy

Verified Member
From
Davie, FLA
NH Steve said:
The only thing I can think of I have heard called 'captain' -- which is basically like a partner's game, except that whoever is 'captain' is essentially their own partner, vs the other two guys who become standard partners. I haven't ever done this myself. I assume it would not be the 'Scotch Doubles' kind of partnership where partner's alternate every shot, but rather it would be the standard partnership where partner's alternate innings.

Many of you guys have probably seen the unusual variation of this when Ronnie Allen, alternates playing one-handed and two-handed against Harry Platis and Keith McCready (who were traditional partners). There is a dvd or video of this that is often on eBay.

I have that video...Gerry sent it to me on loan. I will gladly lend it with his permission to whoever wants to veiw it if they promise to send it back!!! PM me with details

100andout

Verified Member
From
FL/PA
Voodoo Daddy said:
I have that video...Gerry sent it to me on loan. I will gladly lend it with his permission to whoever wants to veiw it if they promise to send it back!!! PM me with details

Yea man, I don't mind......but everyone who watches it has to give me 9/5 when I run into them!:D

Gerry

lfigueroa

Verified Member
"Widows" is a popular 3-handed game here in St. Louis.

You flip to determine the order in which the players will play solo. The first player then plays alone against the other two guys, who form a team. After that game, it's the next guy's turn to play solo against the other two. You can handicap it, so that certain team combinations give or recieve weight.

Guys keep track on a chalk board. When you lose solo, you win or lose two tickies, usually something like $10 or $25 a tickie. If someone wants to quit, it's usually done at the conclusion of a round, when all three players have had a chance to play solo.

Two buddies can easily cut up the third guy, if it's not on the square. Often times it appears that someone is being cut up, even when they're not :)

Lou Figueroa

thinker said:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
lfigueroa said:
"Widows" is a popular 3-handed game here in St. Louis.

You flip to determine the order in which the players will play solo. The first player then plays alone against the other two guys, who form a team. After that game, it's the next guy's turn to play solo against the other two. You can handicap it, so that certain team combinations give or recieve weight.

Guys keep track on a chalk board. When you lose solo, you win or lose two tickies, usually something like $10 or $25 a tickie. If someone wants to quit, it's usually done at the conclusion of a round, when all three players have had a chance to play solo.

Two buddies can easily cut up the third guy, if it's not on the square. Often times it appears that someone is being cut up, even when they're not :)

Lou Figueroa

Lou-- So if you're playing, say, $10 per man (tickie), then if you were on the winning end for all three games, you'd win $40? (20 once, plus 10 twice) Or is my math off...

Do the partners alternate shots, or just innings? I think you guys have too much time on your hands up there in St. Louis. ;)

Doc

kollegedave

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
Your math is right. Also, as I was learning one pocket I was afforded the opportunity to sweat many a widows match (some even with The Great Lou amongst the combatants) and I think it is a pretty entertaining format...or maybe its just the characters at the pool hall that make it entertaining. Because of my rather tender age, I have been in only one widows match and I thought it was a good time. Recently in St. Louis, the small-time widows action has become more rare as older players get really old.

Lou's description of the game format is right on.

kollegedave

gulfportdoc said:
Lou-- So if you're playing, say, $10 per man (tickie), then if you were on the winning end for all three games, you'd win $40? (20 once, plus 10 twice) Or is my math off...

Do the partners alternate shots, or just innings? I think you guys have too much time on your hands up there in St. Louis. ;)

Doc

lfigueroa

Verified Member
How does kollegedave (soon to be "thatfuckingattorneydave" :) get to be a Verified Member and not moi?! ah, sweet mysteries of life.

Oh, and the players playing as a team alternate innings.

Lou Figueroa

kollegedave said:
Your math is right. Also, as I was learning one pocket I was afforded the opportunity to sweat many a widows match (some even with The Great Lou amongst the combatants) and I think it is a pretty entertaining format...or maybe its just the characters at the pool hall that make it entertaining. Because of my rather tender age, I have been in only one widows match and I thought it was a good time. Recently in St. Louis, the small-time widows action has become more rare as older players get really old.

Lou's description of the game format is right on.

kollegedave

drw

Verified Member
3 person one-pocket

3 person one-pocket

NH Steve said:

Here in Tucson, captain's one pocket is called grandpa. Grandpa being the one shooting by himself. Lot of fun. Coaching is usually allowed if one of the team is learning the game.

Matt_24

Verified Member
We call it CAPTAINS and play it all of the time. Two players against one, standard one pocket rules. We rotate the captain for each new game and bet it up. Play it with those you trust.