A little Thinking "Out of the Box" Fun!

TomRoden

Verified Member
this shot...

this shot...

Whoever decides on a shot like this in a money game, should save some time and just ball up his cash and burn it. This shot is absolutely insane. If you need one or if you need 8, this is not a shot to be considered. You let the cueball loose, it'll be flying around the table, unless it falls in a pocket first. There is nothing to gain from this shot. Except what NOT to do.
Enough time has been wasted on the non one pocket shot.
Billiard players don't know how to pocket balls.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Wedge the CB behind the nine and hope they come to rest both tangent to one another and the cushion. Basically, it's a war to see who gets to bank at the 15 or 3 first.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Tom; What is your choice to shoot from the position diagramed on the pool table?

I'm willing to learn something here!

Now that is a good question, Bill. My first thought is always to find something offensive. I then look for some way to improve on my position so the next time I reach the table I will have an opportunity to get aggressive. I wish to trap my opponent into surrendering something to help my cause, even if it is only to create momentum. This is especially true in the latter stages of One Pocket games.

Here the only truly offensive shot I see is the combination two rail shot on the seven ball. The trouble is that the three ball appears to be in the way so I would probably have to pass on that shot. So here comes something that I think you will like. Two rail kick the three to my side of the table and stick the cue ball dead. This shot is also a tad suspect because I'm not sure if there will be a clean, safe bank on the fifteen for my opponent. If so I might just slide off the nine and try to hook my guy on the three hiding the balls on my side of the table.

Tom

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Whoever decides on a shot like this in a money game, should save some time and just ball up his cash and burn it. This shot is absolutely insane. If you need one or if you need 8, this is not a shot to be considered. You let the cueball loose, it'll be flying around the table, unless it falls in a pocket first. There is nothing to gain from this shot. Except what NOT to do.
Enough time has been wasted on the non one pocket shot.
Billiard players don't know how to pocket balls.

And YOU don't know the FIRST thing about cushions! :p

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Wedge the CB behind the nine and hope they come to rest both tangent to one another and the cushion. Basically, it's a war to see who gets to bank at the 15 or 3 first.

Straight; When I explain, (if anyone wants me to), the technique to kicking, "2 cushion first" for, "Unique Specialty" shots, it may become clearer that, I'm NOT just shooting up in the air here!

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Now that is a good question, Bill. My first thought is always to find something offensive. I then look for some way to improve on my position so the next time I reach the table I will have an opportunity to get aggressive. I wish to trap my opponent into surrendering something to help my cause, even if it is only to create momentum. This is especially true in the latter stages of One Pocket games.

Here the only truly offensive shot I see is the combination two rail shot on the seven ball. The trouble is that the three ball appears to be in the way so I would probably have to pass on that shot. So here comes something that I think you will like. Two rail kick the three to my side of the table and stick the cue ball dead. This shot is also a tad suspect because I'm not sure if there will be a clean, safe bank on the fifteen for my opponent. If so I might just slide off the nine and try to hook my guy on the three hiding the balls on my side of the table.

Tom

Tom W.; If I'm reading your explanation correctly, (without a diagram) you want to kick "across" the table 2 cushions to the 15 and stop the CB, correct?

If this is your intention, then you leave a free bank on the 3 ball, straight back!

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
In playing “Cushion first” shots, especially, “two cushion first” tiki’s. The “Opposite” effect takes place in relation to the cue ball and the effect, “English” and “angle” the CB takes off the 2nd and 3rd cushions.

When the CB is struck directly to an object ball with “follow” the CB wants to roll forward, towards a cushion. And just the opposite effect happens when the CB is contacted low, “draw,” the CB want s travel away from the 1st cushion. In “2 cushion first” shots, just the OPPOSITE occurs off the 2nd and 3rd cushions!

In the diagram I’ve presented on the pool table, let’s say, we’re playing 9 ball, we have to hit the 3 ball next. The 9 ball is sitting in the bottom “left” hand corner pocket. The CB is snookered behind a couple of balls, almost as in the diagram. To make the “2 cushion first” tiki behind the 3 ball and make the 9 ball in the corner, the player would contact the CB at EXTREME 7 O’clock English. By contacting the 2 rails first with this English, it acts like “Follow” on the cushions! It wants to “hug” the rail!

But, in the diagramed position we need the CB to rebound off the 2nd cushion at a more “acute “ angle, in other words, we need to make the CB “bounce” off the rail, Just as if we were trying to “draw” the CB directly off the OB! This accompanied with, REVERSE, EXTREME 2 o’clock English, creates the effect and the direction of the CB as shown in the diagram! Plus, with the reverse English, now when it contacts the 3rd and 4th cushions it could still have much effect left on the CB!

View attachment 10773

This is a STRONG technique to know when worrying about “scratching” in the corner in my diagram, or other similar positions in 2 rail kicks!

These are "basic" cushion fundamentals in 3C play!

Here's the video similar to the 3C shot from the first diagram, it's a "position" shot from a extremely difficult position. By hitting the shot softer, you can visualize it for pocket billiards.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXqjgdNyP1Q"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXqjgdNyP1Q[/ame]

Last edited: