Adjusting Angles

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
Just another thing I've been playing with lately to check for usefulness..

Is using top/bottom useful in adjusting angles from center instead of changing the angle of approach?

For certain banks, tightening up is a no-brainer, but for others where the natural angle is just off, is this a good way of adjusting a fraction without changing the sighted line?

For reference.. I found myself nippling too many side pocket banks and coming up short on some long banks and was wondering if adjusting my hit a little lower would help compensate for the play of the table(speedy little diamond bbx).

(This is how I usually learn to deal with my miscalculations.. make slight adjustments until I understand the shot/angle and then slowly remove the need for adjusting.)

ChrisBanks

Verified Member
From
Rochester, NY

Is using top/bottom useful in adjusting angles from center instead of changing the angle of approach?

For certain banks, tightening up is a no-brainer, but for others where the natural angle is just off, is this a good way of adjusting a fraction without changing the sighted line?

For reference.. I found myself nippling too many side pocket banks and coming up short on some long banks and was wondering if adjusting my hit a little lower would help compensate for the play of the table(speedy little diamond bbx).

(This is how I usually learn to deal with my miscalculations.. make slight adjustments until I understand the shot/angle and then slowly remove the need for adjusting.)

I'll tell you something I learned from John Brumback on this site.....

As a rule, he says never to use draw unless you are playing position.

Big Jim

Verified Member
From
Southern, Indiana
using draw

using draw

Sometimes you have to use draw english to get the cue ball out of the way.

Especially on diamond tables since a lot of holding english shots are makable on a diamond.

John Brumback

Verified Member

Yes It Is a good way to adjust the angle.Low will make It go long,top or center will help It come short. It doesn't take much either way though to make a noticeable difference. Your speed can and will have an effect also.Your on the right track,If you ask me.John B.

John Brumback

Verified Member

Well, yes Chris,I do say that alot." as a rule"But you can change the angle of the shot by tinkering with low english.The main reason I don't like using It Is because
It will make the pocket play tight and or smaller.But say for Instance you need to change the angle,you can then use low and make the shot go longer
If need be. (Example) Maybe It's setting to where you need to make It go long so you can still keep the cball stuck to the rail.That's when you can use low to your advantage .Hope that helps explain It a little better. John B.

ChrisBanks

Verified Member
From
Rochester, NY
Well, yes Chris,I do say that alot." as a rule"But you can change the angle of the shot by tinkering with low english.The main reason I don't like using It Is because
It will make the pocket play tight and or smaller.But say for Instance you need to change the angle,you can then use low and make the shot go longer
If need be. (Example) Maybe It's setting to where you need to make It go long so you can still keep the cball stuck to the rail.That's when you can use low to your advantage .Hope that helps explain It a little better. John B.

Thanks for the advice John. I've got everything you have said here written down in a notebook.

Here's something I think about using draw....... but I could be completely wrong.

Sidespin is lost as the cueball travels towards the object ball. The loss is gradual, and is somewhat easy to predict.

Draw on the cueball is lost very rapidly, and it can be difficult to predict how much draw will be left on the cueball upon impact with the object ball.

You might hit a shot below center, but by the time it reaches the object ball, the draw could wear off and become forward roll.

So I think you enhance the difficulty of the shot a great deal by using draw. Again I could be wrong.

John Brumback

Verified Member
Thanks for the advice John. I've got everything you have said here written down in a notebook.

Here's something I think about using draw....... but I could be completely wrong.

Sidespin is lost as the cueball travels towards the object ball. The loss is gradual, and is somewhat easy to predict.

Draw on the cueball is lost very rapidly, and it can be difficult to predict how much draw will be left on the cueball upon impact with the object ball.

You might hit a shot below center, but by the time it reaches the object ball, the draw could wear off and become forward roll.

So I think you enhance the difficulty of the shot a great deal by using draw. Again I could be wrong.

No Chris,I think your very right about that.Good figuring If ya ask me.John B.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

chris im not sure i agree on this.
when you shoot a ball from varying distances cant you control whether the cue ball stops and/or how much it draws back??
im sure you can
therefore you can control/ predict how much draw will be left on the cueball

ChrisBanks

Verified Member
From
Rochester, NY
when you shoot a ball from varying distances cant you control whether the cue ball stops and/or how much it draws back??
im sure you can

Ok I'll try to explain my point here. Maybe it will make sense, maybe it won't.

Let's say you want to widen the angle of a bank by using a little bit of draw. And let's also say that you pretty much just want the cueball to stop and roll back an inch or two.

Think about a regular shot (not a bank) where the cueball and object ball are 5 feet apart. You want to draw the cueball back a few inches. It is not so easy to get the precise amount of draw to get the cueball to move back a few inches. Sometimes you will not put enough draw on it, and by the time the cueball reaches the object ball it will be a stop shot. Sometimes it will even pick up a little forward roll, and the cueball will roll up an inch or two.

There is not much consequence to this on a regular shot. You still pocket the ball, and you will reposition the cueball within a few inches whether you draw it, stop it, or it rolls forward.

But on a bank shot, you now have 3 possibilities. If you hit it with the draw you wanted, you are likely to make the bank. But what if the draw wears off and it becomes a stop shot? Or what if it has a little forward roll to it? Now your bank will come short.

I know there are players good enough to not worry about this. But I think for many of us, it is something to consider. I know when I practice straight in stop shots (not banks) that I will sometimes hit it bad and let the cueball roll forward. And of course in banks this will give the cueball a completely different path off the rail.

John Brumback

Verified Member
im sure you can

Larry I think your right but I also think Chris Is just saying that's onemore thing you won't have to deal with If you just use center whenever you can.
I could be wrong though. John B.

ChrisBanks

Verified Member
From
Rochester, NY
Larry I think your right but I also think Chris Is just saying that's onemore thing you won't have to deal with If you just use center whenever you can.
I could be wrong though. John B.

yea that's all I'm saying.

By the way John, I'm 99% sure I'll be at derby city for the first time next year. So I'll see you there!

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR

Yep, but people also have different ways of playing and advance their games differently. I've been using draw less often and working harder at playing center/top. Sometimes you get down on a shot, feel really comfortable with how you've lined up, but you know it's just a little short or that you've been hitting those banks short.. so just a little draw and you're golden.

If I feel a need to use english on a long shot, either the OB will be close by so I don't have to hit too hard, or it is further away and I'll be hitting harder to hold the english and try to kill the angle to make it friendly. At least that's what comes to mind while sitting at a desk. I was hitting the twist banks real well, but those damn side pockets were giving me fits, go figure. Used the top/bottom idea a little last night.. worked on the few I did, but maybe I was just lucky. :D