Aiming systems

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
I personally in recent times have seen a benefit to my game by being taught an aiming method. I was skeptical at first and thought my leg was being pulled, I had to stop my mind from reverting back to my old feel style of play.

So for about 6 months or so I was not fully accepting it and getting caught in between, having doubts. As I mastered many shots that used to be trouble for me I started to lose those doubts and become very confident and running more balls. I think most people who have played with me in the past 6 months or so will say my ball pocketing has improved quite a bit. I always moved well but beating the guy to the shot is half the battle, gotta run balls to get the W.

One thing with aiming methods and also feel, you need to still follow straight through and also see where you want to hit . I know some top players who use aiming methods and they never walk over to the ball to see where they are going to hit it. They might go look to see if the ball is froze but with the aiming method they can just get down and shoot while others need to size up the shot and look at the contact point.

P.S. Dick if you are willing to learn the aiming method then let me know, you respect the player who taught me it and its never too late if your open minded. Hell might freeze over first though. :D

SJDinPHX

Suspended
P.S. Dick if you are willing to learn the aiming method then let me know, you respect the player who taught me it and its never too late if your open minded. Hell might freeze over first though. :D

Dear Young Whippersnapper,

It has nothing to do with open-mindedness. I got by, (quite well I might add) for over 50 years without an aiming system, it is only the last few years that my eyes, my nerves, my coordination, and my mechanics have gone south on me...Also, (due to the the YJ) I aways saw 3 balls, but could always zero in on the middle one...Now I find myself often shooting at the one on the left or right...It ain't easy bein' me..:eek:

If you think Geno, or Hal Houle (or Scott) helped your game, more power to you... For Chrissake, your game had no where to go but UP !...:D :D

PS..OK, you got 9/7-10/8, Grasshopper..:p

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
SJDinPHX said:
Dear Young Whippersnapper,

It has nothing to do with open-mindedness. I got by, (quite well I might add) for over 50 years without an aiming system, it is only the last few years that my eyes, my nerves, my coordination, and my mechanics have gone south on me...Also, (due to the the YJ) I aways saw 3 balls, but could always zero in on the middle one...Now I find myself often shooting at the one on the left or right...It ain't easy bein' me..:eek:

If you think Geno, or Hal Houle (or Scott) helped your game, more power to you... For Chrissake, your game had no where to go but UP !...:D :D

PS..OK, you got 9/7-10/8, Grasshopper..:p
im no one to chime in here but dick at least listen.
if you dont see so well
and you dont remember so well
and you forget sometimes which of the 3 balls to hit
maybe some systems would be like training wheels
keeping you from falling down but still letting your feel have the right of way
just sayin my friend:)

SJDinPHX

Suspended
S--t happen's...then you die !...

S--t happen's...then you die !...

It can be difficult to explain something, to anyone who has not yet experienced it firsthand, but I'll give it my best shot. Larry, surely you know I was just joking about the 3 balls. (Do I have to watch what I say to you ? :))
And do you really think I need to prolong my agony, and cut into my dwindling "happy hour" time,... by learning a f-ing aiming system ?... IWNGUOOTE-chair to do that..:rolleyes:

I would like to point out something, that happens to EVERYONE, as they go through the aging process. (which by the way, sucks big time) I am going to use two examples, both of whom were obviously far better atheletes than I ever was. Both have commented the same way, on the same subject.

As they grew older, Arnold Palmer, and Jack Nicklaus still hit long straight drives, and crisp, accurate iron shots. Except for a few yards in distance, both played that part of their game very close to their prime years, thanks to added experience.

The only real difference in their game, was when they stepped onto the green, their legs turned to jelly. When they grabbed the putter, the ice water they had in their veins, at 30...turned to warm milk, at 50 or 60.

I compare golf to pool a lot, because neither are physically demanding sports, and can be played well into senility. Unlike the demanding physical sports, like maybe Tennis, where you are an old man at 30-35.

There is NO substitute for youth when it comes to nerves, as Arnie and Jack found out. But they, like most highly competitive champions...spent a lot of years in denial.
(Look at Michael Jordan..only Brett Favre, and Cher retired more times than him, but at least they stayed in the same racket..).;)

It is very hard to let go of something you've done well all your life...If I sound like I'm feeling sorry for myself, maybe I am...But it is a lot like realizing you can't safely drive a car anymore. (thankfully, not there yet, your kids usually have to make that decision for you)..:eek:

A lifetime of stoked up competitive juices flowing, cannot just be turned off like a faucet...at least not for this slate-headed Mick...End of speech..:cool:

The Ghost had it right though...I am keeping the juices flowing..View attachment 1282

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Papie.....Don't be so darn stubborn - I think the helpful advice that Lenny and Larry are giving you is right on the mark ;) Yep, I feel very strongly that learning a couple of aiming systems is just the ticket for you at this point...:)

Your friend, Ghosty....:D

thebaby

Verified Member
don't bring it with you

don't bring it with you

hey pappie, don't bring any of that stuburnness to california.Leave that bull....at home.we up here in california are happy people.I want you to be open minded win you decide to play the baby.Dick I got a problem though,I can't find any yukon jack up here this week,went to two stores ,they told me there was some kind of shortage this week,try next week. THE BABY

SJDinPHX

Suspended
One Pocket Ghost said:
Papie.....Don't be so darn stubborn - I think the helpful advice that Lenny and Larry are giving you is right on the mark ;) Yep, I feel very strongly that learning a couple of aiming systems is just the ticket for you at this point...:)

I'm sure you hope I improve before DCC...:cool: I WILL be coming off my stall..:eek:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
thebaby said:
hey pappie, don't bring any of that stuburnness to california.Leave that bull....at home.we up here in california are happy people.I want you to be open minded win you decide to play the baby.Dick I got a problem though,I can't find any yukon jack up here this week,went to two stores ,they told me there was some kind of shortage this week,try next week. THE BABY

Don't worry Frank, I always rent a U-Haul to keep my bar stock handy. You can't find anything in those 3rd world countries any more...I hear theres a shortage of $$$ up there...Are you guys still matching up for Califonia State IOU's ? Arnie says they are good as gold..:p

PS..I hear you've been picking on poor old John again...When I get there, I'll bet so much on the side on him, you'll throw up..(cash only)...:eek:
Leaving Sat. AM...Should be up there by Mon. or Tues. (have to rest a lot)..:D

Last edited:

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
SJDinPHX said:
..Also, (due to the the YJ) I aways saw 3 balls, but could always zero in on the middle one...

That reminds me of what Fred Davis said. Fred was a snooker champ even into his 70s and was the brother of 20 time world snooker champ Joe Davis. When asked if his thick glasses and old age were a problem in playing, Fred said; "No, the balls have appeared fuzzy to me all my life. I'm not going to let it bother me now."

SJDinPHX

Suspended
demonrho said:
That reminds me of what Fred Davis said. Fred was a snooker champ even into his 70s and was the brother of 20 time world snooker champ Joe Davis. When asked if his thick glasses and old age were a problem in playing, Fred said; "No, the balls have appeared fuzzy to me all my life. I'm not going to let it bother me now."

D-man

I'll bet old Joe didn't use no stinkin' "aiming system"...Heh, heh !.;)

thebaby

Verified Member
To This Day

To This Day

I must say reading this thread had me thinking about all the times somebody has tried to teach me some new aiming system,and there's been quite alot of them.I listen,I tried them but never really mastered them.never had time ,so busy trying to get the hustle on,or so busy being hustled as us suckers do.there are times when I'm in a situation that i might remember a little something to apply it at that moment but that's it.I think most of the time you have to show some kind of ability,and then you can feed off of that to develop into a stronger player.i can go on and on but were here talking about aiming systems,so with that being said i just thought i'd write what was on my mind.Hey pappie happy trails and be safe . THE BABY

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
One Pocket Ghost said:

Sure, you want us old guys to confuse ourselves even farther by incorporating something new to make us think we can still compete with you young guys.

I do not and never have used an aiming system. My main problem anymore is staying down on the ball, and I have found the best cure, that works MOST of the time, is something that Grady has touted for years. Leave your bridge hand on the table until the shot is finished. Sometimes even this is harder than it should be when you get the yips.

Still practicing for you and Bernie and hope the yips stay home.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
all you guys that say you dont use aiming systems when you shoot a 2 or 3 rail bank you dont consider the diamonds and where to hit on the rail.
you just "feel" that from where the cue lays and the angle where on the rail to hit??arent you aiming for a spot on the rail??
even on a one rail dont you bisect the anglle and aim there on the rail??

SJDinPHX

Suspended
lll said:
all you guys that say you dont use aiming systems when you shoot a 2 or 3 rail bank you dont consider the diamonds and where to hit on the rail.
you just "feel" that from where the cue lays and the angle where on the rail to hit??arent you aiming for a spot on the rail??
even on a one rail dont you bisect the anglle and aim there on the rail??

Larry,

It is necessary sometimes, to see if a particular bank has room to go. But if nothings in the way, the answer for me is NO. 1,2,or3 rail banks are all affected by the english used. I use english on almost every shot, so what works for a center ball guy, just don't work for me. Besides, a bank that goes in the morning, may not go in the afternoon (with AC on etc.) A ball you could easily hold up, (pinch) on a humid day, may be unplayable if the table is dry.
I would say center ball may work well for a bank pool player, but in all other games, (especially 1P) 90% of the time you are playing the cue ball, as much as the bank. If you don't develope a "feel", you are only completing half your shot. Also most bank pool players only shoot one speed..."extra firm"

I just learned a feel for banks, very early on...never did clutter up my brain with "systems". I'm sure I'm not the only one...But, that is just MY humble opinion.
Some people need to have a system they believe in. Nothing wrong with that, if it helps their confidence.

PS..I think I'll pass on future comments, as this seems to be headed toward post #9 (this thread) ...Thank God we don't have the "Science" crowd here, or feelings would have already been bruised...:eek:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
SJDinPHX said:
Larry,

It is necessary sometimes, to see if a particular bank has room to go. But if nothings in the way, the answer for me is NO. 1,2,or3 rail banks are all affected by the english used. I use english on almost every shot, so what works for a center ball guy, just don't work for me. Besides, a bank that goes in the morning, may not go in the afternoon (with AC on etc.) A ball you could easily hold up, (pinch) on a humid day, may be unplayable if the table is dry.
I would say center ball may work well for a bank pool player, but in all other games, (especially 1P) 90% of the time you are playing the cue ball, as much as the bank. If you don't develope a "feel", you are only completing half your shot. Also most bank pool players only shoot one speed..."extra firm"

I just learned a feel for banks, very early on...never did clutter up my brain with "systems". I'm sure I'm not the only one...But, that is just MY humble opinion.
Some people need to have a system they believe in. Nothing wrong with that, if it helps their confidence.

PS..I think I'll pass on future comments, as this seems to be headed toward post #9 (this thread) ...Thank God we don't have the "Science" crowd here, or feelings would have already been bruised...:eek:
dick i understand how you and all the guys that play without systems "feel" about the issue:rolleyes: (that was a pretty good line for me)
you all have many more hours on the table behind you to have that hand eye muscle memory(phrased like that the science guys should like it:rolleyes: )
i played only by feel for a long time but when i took a long time off (more than 20 years with no where close to as much time on the table behind me like you) it took forever to find the "feel" again.

the few diamond systems i know give me a guideline of where to aim and are helpful every time when i get started playing again after a hiatus.
but as you say type of cloth ,english , speed of shot etc still come back to "feel" to ultimately make the shot.
in spite of that video we saw you couldnt make a robot be a champion because a robot wouldnt have the human factors necessary:)

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Feel

Feel

Having a feel is very helpful to me. When I get over the ball whether cutting or banking and feel where to hit it, I automatically know that's the wrong spot. Then I discard it and figure out the right spot. ;)
Rod.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
androd said:
Having a feel is very helpful to me. When I get over the ball whether cutting or banking and feel where to hit it, I automatically know that's the wrong spot. Then I discard it and figure out the right spot. ;)
Rod.
i think ill try that system:rolleyes:

One Pocket John

Verified Member
I have to give credit for cut shot aiming points to Jimmy Reed (no time for negative) and Harry Sims (3 cushion billiard champion) and Dean Higgs (road name Jack Perry) and Grady Mathews.

Jimmiy Reed made logical sense of how to line up cut shots.

Harry Sims taught me to put a value on the object ball that I wanted to hit (1/8 - 1/4 - 3/4 - 1/2) and to use my dominent eye. (before this my eyes would fight each other to see the hit point) Harry passed away in '06.

Dean taught me a system that was taught to him by Vernon Elliott on where to grip the cue for difffernt distances through the cue ball vs travel. Dean was a hell of a one pocket player. One story he told me was about the time he was on the road and beat Allen Hopkins.

Without Gradys tapes on banking the cue ball to sink an object ball I would still after 48 years still be trying to figure it out. (many thanks from St. Louis)

A fair understanding of three cushion billiards is invaluable in pocket billiards. I dont like playing 3 cushion billiards but did study the diamong systems. Thanks Harry

I use the spot on the wall for 3 cushion kick shots (sometimes the diamond system). On one or 2 rail banks I use the mirror system (and feel). On kick shots I use Grady's instruction. (thanks Grady)

Playing this game is a test of yourself, doesnt have anything to do with who you are playing or how much money your playing for.

I have never been whats called an "A" player. I am a good "B" player that loves the game because it is a test of me and what I'm made of. (like golf)

As far as jumping up on a shot, I do not pull my cue back after the stroke or raise up until I see the cue ball hit the object ball and start to move off to where I played it to go. (your mind wants you to do everything perfectly so after you hit the cue ball your mind is going to tell you to stand up, you just need to start telling yourself not to do that)

Ya gotta love it................what a game

Later

John - St. Louis

Last edited:

Skin

Verified Member
lll said:
dick i understand how you and all the guys that play without systems "feel" about the issue:rolleyes: (that was a pretty good line for me)
you all have many more hours on the table behind you to have that hand eye muscle memory(phrased like that the science guys should like it:rolleyes: )
i played only by feel for a long time but when i took a long time off (more than 20 years with no where close to as much time on the table behind me like you) it took forever to find the "feel" again.

the few diamond systems i know give me a guideline of where to aim and are helpful every time when i get started playing again after a hiatus.
but as you say type of cloth ,english , speed of shot etc still come back to "feel" to ultimately make the shot.
in spite of that video we saw you couldnt make a robot be a champion because a robot wouldnt have the human factors necessary:)

Larry, I wrote something about this last night but when I looked at it again this morning I saw that what I wrote was flawed (too much about me, for one thing :) ) and so I deleted it. Here's the gist if you didn't see it.

I think that guys who play by feel (I am one) have their own way of perceiving objects in 3 dimensions. They have an ongoing intuition of where everything sits relative to everything else and them, no matter where they are, even objects outside of their view, behind their head. They don't think about this or compute it. It just is the way they perceive reality.

I think this is why linear system of all kinds - amining sytems, banking and kicking systems etc. - bore them and don't help them. They can accompish in lickity-split time by "feeling" what all that 2 dimensonial stuff does in hours upon hours of labor.

I think this also is why some folks around here are very good at interpreting the WEI, while others are not and need to see balls on a table.

Skin

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Skin said:
Larry, I wrote something about this last night but when I looked at it again this morning I saw that what I wrote was flawed (too much about me, for one thing :) ) and so I deleted it. Here's the gist if you didn't see it.

I think that guys who play by feel (I am one) have their own way of perceiving objects in 3 dimensions. They have an ongoing intuition of where everything sits relative to everything else and them, no matter where they are, even objects outside of their view, behind their head. They don't think about this or compute it. It just is the way they perceive reality.

I think this is why linear system of all kinds - amining sytems, banking and kicking systems etc. - bore them and don't help them. They can accompish in lickity-split time by "feeling" what all that 2 dimensonial stuff does in hours upon hours of labor.

I think this also is why some folks around here are very good at interpreting the WEI, while others are not and need to see balls on a table.

Skin
in a opposite way its why some people find calculus easy